Dental Services - 200BHT

Pumpuynarak

Wifey and i went to our dentist at St Mary's private hospital for a check up and teeth clean, everything was fine and we went to the cashier to settle up. As per usual i was asked for the dosh before being shown the bill to know what i was paying for which imo is rank unprofessional. Now i found an entry of 200 BHT on each of our bills for dental services so i asked wifey to query what this was for and the cashier did'nt know so she phoned the dentist receptionist and was told it was to cover the hospital costs for Covid PPE and cleaning of the dentists room WTF.

Now that is bad enough imo but what really pissed me off was their total inability to tell me BEFORE treatment that they were imposing this charge, how unprofessional and "money grabbing".

Needless to say we won't be going back so they've lost two customers of many years due to their sharp practice, do you think its acceptable ? We've now set up our next appointments with another dental practice and wifey checked with them as to their charges and needless to say they don't impose any such charges nor do they impose this ridiculous standing charge to take your blood pressure/ height and weight.

Talk about money grabbing cheating bastards !!!   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just go to the dentists for emergency extractions.

Four now missing and several decidedly dodgy.

I am like an elephant. When I run out of teeth and can no longer demolish a sirloin steak I am checking out!

• Haha 2

Have to wonder if that was a "farang tax" and not applicable if it was a Thai getting their teeth worked on.

Would you have even received a bill after paying without asking for it?

I just had two crowns put in. First visit was 1,450B for cleaning and xrays. Then had to wait until after June 1 for easing of restrictions so they could grind down two teeth and get fitted for the crowns. Cost was 14,000B. Both visits I was told the amount due with no offer of showing or giving me a receipt before or after payment, so don't know if there was a Covid surcharge, but I doubt there was. I also expect if I had asked they would have given me an invoice, but as the costs were what I expected I didn't bother. Still, standard practice should be to present a paper invoice without having to ask, and before collection of the amount due. But TIT.

• Like 2

I went to my dentist in central London yesterday  - final visit to fit a crown. It had been paid for in advance, but I asked him to look at something else as well. I was charged £95 for a small filling that didn't even need an injection.

It's standard practice to pay on the way out with him, but I feel sure the charge for a minor thing like that was around £50 in the past. I, too, suspected I had suffered a Covid surcharge.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Have to wonder if that was a "farang tax" and not applicable if it was a Thai getting their teeth worked on.

Would you have even received a bill after paying without asking for it?

I just had two crowns put in. First visit was 1,450B for cleaning and xrays. Then had to wait until after June 1 for easing of restrictions so they could grind down two teeth and get fitted for the crowns. Cost was 14,000B. Both visits I was told the amount due with no offer of showing or giving me a receipt before or after payment, so don't know if there was a Covid surcharge, but I doubt there was. I also expect if I had asked they would have given me an invoice, but as the costs were what I expected I didn't bother. Still, standard practice should be to present a paper invoice without having to ask, and before collection of the amount due. But TIT.

They always give me the bill AFTER i pay but i insist on the bill before as i've got used to their Dick Turpin ways. Your crown experience reminds me of another Thai private hospital (Bangkok Hospital Korat) dental practice where i also had two crowns fitted one costing 5K and a year later i was quoted 9K for another. When i informed the dentist that she charged me 5K a year earlier she replied ok this one will also be 5K WTF, needless to say once it was fitted i've never been back.

Just yesterday i went to my regular private hospital (Rim Living) where i have an excellent English speaking doc who is pretty much like our own GP's and i trust the guy hence why i have been going there for a number of years. He prescribed me some antihistamine tabs for a month, when i got to the pharmacy and cashier they informed me they only had 10 tabs at a cost of 550BHT and they advised me to get the remaining 20 at a local pharmacy, they did say they would be cheaper at a local pharmacy. Well this morning i found out exactly how much cheaper, wait for it 135BHT for 10 compared to their 550BHT for exactly the same manufacturer !!!

Private hospitals IMO are just a big bunch of thieving cnuts, customer beware, shop around for your meds you have been warned.       

• Like 2

Wife and I use LDC Dental when in Bangkok, she makes sure there are no funny charges on our bill.

Twice a year cleaning/ x rays ( or scaling according to Thai language) for 1,500 baht each. 

Luckily neither of us have had to deal with the Thai Meical system at all except a yearly Physical at Phayathai Hospital. They are good too, and with the insureance we have is a bargain for what they do with Blood Tests that include ( for me) PSA test and a few others. Wifey gets her "girly" checks too as part of the package. 

@forcebwithu 14k for Crown is not bad, here you would pay $1,200 USA. 

DSCN5547.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Covid fees also exist here in the west at dentists, physiotherapists, zonetherapists, hairdressers, etc as they all have extra expenses for the temporary mandatory hyperexcessive cleaning, hand sanitizers and so on. No reason to be upset about it, it is for your own safety.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Lirchenfeld said:

Covid fees also exist here in the west at dentists, physiotherapists, zonetherapists, hairdressers, etc as they all have extra expenses for the temporary mandatory hyperexcessive cleaning, hand sanitizers and so on. No reason to be upset about it, it is for your own safety.

On 7/7/2020 at 12:24 PM, Pumpuynarak said:

but what really pissed me off was their total inability to tell me BEFORE treatment that they were imposing this charge,

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It's happening in the UK, prices going up as face masks are £6.50 for 10 in Tesco, plus the gloves and sanitizer is factored in as well.

As a result, hairdressers etc have added a surcharge to their prices for "customer safety". Admittedly, customers are made aware before they book the appointment but I agree in your case Pompuynarak it is pretty poor form to sting you afterwards. The thing is, facemasks last all day and there's no need to change them on a customer by customer or patient by patient basis as they "claim" to do in some establishments in the UK.

All part of the "new norm" I think, not a shocker that some are using it as an excuse to charge a bit more money.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...