Baked beans

Lirchenfeld

4 hours ago, boydeste said:

Out of interest, how much are you having to pay for Brookes BB please?

I ain't got a clue mate i just put em in the trolley. I get em at Makro in a pack of three large cans which is a shame cos i really just need the small can for only me, wifey's never touched em in her life. Next time i go to Makro i'll price em up and post.

55 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

I ain't got a clue mate i just put em in the trolley. I get em at Makro in a pack of three large cans which is a shame cos i really just need the small can for only me, wifey's never touched em in her life. Next time i go to Makro i'll price em up and post.

Don't worry mate,  I was just curious as I know branded stuff like Heinze is very pricey in Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, mikey said:

Up to them, will not affect the UK tho.

Better not upset the Canuks though.

British grown baked beans become possibility

Scientists at the University of Warwick are using the latest DNA mapping techniques to allow British farmers to grow one of the UK’s favourite foods.

Andrew Tock, a PhD student working at The University of Warwick’s Crop Centre, has undertaken a research project which aims to genetically map the navy bean and develop it so that it can thrive in UK conditions. The researchers are now working with the public on consumer testing to determine the demand for British baked beans. 

The navy bean – also known as the haricot bean – usually ends up being consumed with a tomato-based sauce in baked beans. It is a staple of the British diet, with the UK consuming hundreds of millions of cans of baked beans every year. It is also considered as ‘one of your five a day.’ However, every single baked bean is grown outside of the UK, with the majority imported from Canada. The main reason for this import dependence is the lack of available navy bean varieties that are adapted to growing in the UK environment.

In a hope to overcome this barrier, the researchers are using DNA sequencing technology to map the genes that govern the traits which are required for the navy bean to thrive in the UK climate, such as cold tolerance for seedling establishment, early maturity for harvest and resistance to diseases such as halo blight. This genetic map can then be used as a roadmap for breeding programmes to produce new varieties which can be grown commercially by UK farmers.

https://www.newfoodmagazine.com/news/94098/british-grown-baked-beans-become-possibility/

All this talk about baked beans, guess what I had to have for lunch, lol?

I just posted this as a reply to the Gallic Faction on the Bastille Day thread, but it's so interesting that it would be a shame not to include it here as well. So here we go, 29 fascinating things you never knew about baked beans:

https://www.yours.co.uk/life/home/29-things-you-never-knew-about-baked-beans/

1.      Baked Beans were originally sold in the UK by Fortnum and Mason in 1901 as a luxury item. A large can would cost 9d (the equivalent to £2.15 by today’s prices).

2.      The first can of British-manufactured Heinz Beanz was created in the Heinz factory in Harlesden in 1928.

3.      The bean centre at the Heinz Kitt Green factory in Wigan (opened in 1959) uses 1,000 tonnes of dry beans per week.

4.      Royalty have long been fans of Heinz Beanz, with The Queen accompanied by The Duke of Edinburgh visiting the factory in 2009, following the Queen Mother’s visit in 1959. Heinz has now held a Royal Warrant for 63 years.

5.      Heinz Beanz are one of the most popular foods in the UK. Every day over one a half million cans of Heinz Baked Beans are consumed in the UK. That’s more than 540 million cans a year.

6.      There are approximately 465 beans per standard 415g can of Heinz Beanz.

7.      The small white beans used to make Heinz Beanz are a type of haricot bean called ‘Navy’ beans. The other main ingredient is tomato puree, made with Mediterranean grown tomatoes.

8.      Every individual bean is checked for colour and size before they are allowed into a can of Heinz Beanz.

9.      They were originally called BAKED beans because the can is first filled with blanched beans, then the sauce, then the can is sealed with a lid, and THEN the cooking begins. The beans are cooked inside the sealed can. Yes that’s right – INSIDE THE CAN – and not before they go into the can.

10.  The tomato sauce is blended with a secret mix of spices to create the distinctive Heinz flavour.

11.  The special Heinz Beanz spice mix comes to the factory in numbered - as opposed to labelled – bags to keep the recipe a secret. Only three people in the world know the exact ingredients.

12.  50,000 tonnes of navy beans are shipped annually from North America to Liverpool docks and delivered every day to the Heinz factory in Wigan in two-tonne bags.

13.  The factory holds 36 hours’ worth of beans at any one time, and 60 days’ worth of stock is held at Liverpool docks, just in case bad weather stops beans from travelling over the Atlantic in ships.

14.  Scott took crates of Heinz Beanz on the infamous British Antarctic Expedition which started in 1910. A photograph from the expedition shows Frederick John Hooper tucking into a can whilst seated on a Heinz crate in 1911.

15.  The original recipe for Heinz Beanz was based on Boston beans, so they used to contain pork. But because of shortages in the second World War, the pork was taken out and they were sold as vegetarian beans. They’ve remained the same ever since.

16.  In the 1940s, the Ministry of Food classified Heinz Beanz as an “essential food” during wartime rationing.

17.  The slogan ‘Beanz Meanz Heinz’ – created in 1967 - was unanimously voted best advertising slogan of all time by an expert panel from the UK’s advertising industry. The slogan now has a place in history, taking top slot in the Ad Slogan Hall of Fame.

18.  Gigi Hadid and Zayn Malik, Ellie Goulding and Joss Stone are all known to be fanz of Heinz Beanz.

19.  19. Heinz Beanz are exported to more than 60 countries, including Russia and China.

20.  On The Who’s ‘Sell Out’ album cover, Roger Daltry appears immersed in Heinz Beanz and caressing a giant Heinz Beanz can.

21.  Heinz Beanz are free from artificial colour and preservatives and a valuable source of protein and fibre, as well as being low in fat and sugars.

22.  A serving of baked beans on toast, accompanied by a glass of milk, offers over a third of the recommended daily amounts of Iron, Vitamins B1 and B2 as well as three quarters the amount of calcium we need.

23.  Heinz UK salesman used to carry a hot flask full of Heinz Beanz to provide samples for their customers.

24.  Heinz Snap Pot was launched back in 2007, providing personalised portions that are simply snapped and heated in the microwave for one minute before being served.

25.  In 2009, Heinz developed a prototype of what was believed to be the world’s smallest portable microwave, perfectly sized to fit a Heinz Snap Pot. The Beanzawave gave workers across the country a much needed helping hand to make some of their favourite hot snacks either on the go or at their desk by just plugging the microwave into the USB port on their computers.

26.  Heinz uses enough tomatoes every day to fill an Olympic-size swimming pool.

27.  If all the tomatoes used by Heinz in a year were loaded into 15 tonne trucks parked nose to tail, they would stretch from London to Southampton.

28.  Heinz released the Fridge Pack in 2010 – the first ever resealable beans product that enables bean-fans across the country to use as much or as little as they like before they close and pop back in the fridge.

29.  The well-known turquoise used as the predominant colour on the label of Heinz Beanz is registered to the brand through a UK Trade Mark registration.

Edited by Toy Boy
  • Like 2
  • Great Info 3

On 7/10/2020 at 5:11 AM, Aqualung said:

I can't eat them on their own for some reason. But on buttered toast they taste great. 

Also as part of a good full English breakfast. 

Some grated cheese on top then under the grill and add some worcestershire sauce. A proper single man's meal. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

9 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

9.      They were originally called BAKED beans because the can is first filled with blanched beans, then the sauce, then the can is sealed with a lid, and THEN the cooking begins. The beans are cooked inside the sealed can. Yes that’s right – INSIDE THE CAN – and not before they go into the can.

That's true for any canned product.

The only way to kill any germs is to seal the can, then put it in a steam room at high temps for a bit that kills anything inside the canss.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mrmango said:

That's true for any canned product.

The only way to kill any germs is to seal the can, then put it in a steam room at high temps for a bit that kills anything inside the canss.

It's done with other types of food packaging too!

1 hour ago, Toy Boy said:

Careful mate, you'll have the Gallic Faction throwing up his breakfast absinthe, lol!

Maybe nicer with some frogs and snails instead of the  beans on top 😁

Edited by Scotty
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

image.png

It's enough to make you choke on your morning cuppa. In Britain this week, Weetabix posted a Tweet that showed two of their dry bricks of wheaty cereal covered in Heinz baked beans. Ewww, gross. (Clearly I do not know how to spell ewww, but I know gross when I see it).

image.png

Edited by fygjam
  • Haha 2

baked beans are a nice addition to a basic meal - but their juices should never be able to touch any other food on the plate - they should be served in a small bowl of suitable size - and then HP Sauce poured over them... oh and the Ayam beans in thailand are very bad 😞 

• Haha 1

• 10 months later...
On 2/11/2021 at 1:29 PM, Chappo said:

baked beans are a nice addition to a basic meal - but their juices should never be able to touch any other food on the plate - they should be served in a small bowl of suitable size - and then HP Sauce poured over them... oh and the Ayam beans in thailand are very bad 😞 

I fully agree with your views on Ayam, but would debate your other choices......

Baked beans are bloody lovely, for me Brook's are hard to beat......