Facebook group names and shames “farang prices”

Facebook group names and shames “farang prices”

Thailand-Price-Scam.jpg

In days gone by, a foreigner visiting a national park or tourist site could often expect to be charged several times the price charged to a local. Now, thanks to a Facebook community naming and shaming venues that apply “farang prices” to foreign visitors, those days are, well, numbered. Members of the 2PriceThailand Facebook group are warning each other about price gouging for foreigners regardless of their residence status, a practice openly endorsed by state and private businesses alike, despite calls of outright discrimination.

The double pricing or dual pricing debate has been around ever since foreigners stepped onto Thai shores. It’s a hotly debated topic with strong opinions on both sides.

“The intention of this group is to give foreigners the right to choose. We don’t think it is fair that some tourist attractions disguise the fact that they have a dual price system. Our opinion is that if they want to overcharge foreign tourists by as much as 200% then that is their decision. But, don’t do it in a way that is both sneaky and insulting.”

The group also says they hope to see the abolition of the dual pricing system in Thailand.

“Thai people are internationally known for their kind and generous hospitality. The actions of a few tourist attractions are damaging that reputation.”

Popular British blogger Richard Barrow, who regularly writes about Thailand’s tourist attractions and scams on his websites, is the group’s admin. In 1 post, user Aisha Moller Pedersen warns that the “foreigner” admission fee for Phra Nakhon Khiri Historical Park is 150 baht; it’s 20 baht for Thais.

Just to step on the beach at Nangyuan Island Dive Resort, foreigners pay 200 baht (doubled from 100 baht due to Covid-19), while Thais pay 30, a member posted Monday.

Screenshot 2020-07-09 at 22.41.11.png

Another user wrote that at Koh Chang Waterfall, the entrance fee is 200 baht for foreigners, while (adult) Thais only pay 20. A tourist attraction in Bangkok features its ticket prices in Thai and Arabic numbers. The “farang price” is nearly twice as high.

“I was there during the weekend and brought my work permit as well but no luck, and worst of all the ticket seller was very rude,so, we decided to leave. This is a widespread and systematic racism which should be stopped immediately.”

Another member wrote yesterday that adult foreigners pay 100 baht to enter the Queen Sirikit Botanical Garden in Chiang Mai, while Thai adults pay 40. But it’s not all negativity – members also post places that offer the same prices for Thais and foreigners. “Sukhothai Historical Park offering same prices for Thai and farang,” wrote one user in a Sunday post.

“Doi Tung Tourist Attraction – no dual pricing, and the nicest gardens I’ve seen in Thailand,” wrote another, referring to the Mae Fah Luang Botanical Garden in Chiang Rai.

In days gone by, a foreigner visiting a national park or tourist site could often expect to be charged several times the price charged to a local. Now, thanks to a Facebook community naming and shaming venues that apply “farang prices” to foreign visitors, those days are, well, numbered. Members of the 2PriceThailand Facebook group are warning each other about price gouging for foreigners regardless of their residence status, a practice openly endorsed by state and private businesses alike, despite calls of outright discrimination.

The double pricing or dual pricing debate has been around ever since foreigners stepped onto Thai shores. It’s a hotly debated topic with strong opinions on both sides

“The intention of this group is to give foreigners the right to choose. We don’t think it is fair that some tourist attractions disguise the fact that they have a dual price system. Our opinion is that if they want to overcharge foreign tourists by as much as 200% then that is their decision. But, don’t do it in a way that is both sneaky and insulting.”

The group also says they hope to see the abolition of the dual pricing system in Thailand.

“Thai people are internationally known for their kind and generous hospitality. The actions of a few tourist attractions are damaging that reputation.”

Popular British blogger Richard Barrow, who regularly writes about Thailand’s tourist attractions and scams on his websites, is the group’s admin. In 1 post, user Aisha Moller Pedersen warns that the “foreigner” admission fee for Phra Nakhon Khiri Historical Park is 150 baht; it’s 20 baht for Thais.

Just to step on the beach at Nangyuan Island Dive Resort, foreigners pay 200 baht (doubled from 100 baht due to Covid-19), while Thais pay 30, a member posted Monday.

Facebook group names and shames

Another user wrote that at Koh Chang Waterfall, the entrance fee is 200 baht for foreigners, while (adult) Thais only pay 20. A tourist attraction in Bangkok features its ticket prices in Thai and Arabic numbers. The “farang price” is nearly twice as high.

“I was there during the weekend and brought my work permit as well but no luck, and worst of all the ticket seller was very rude,so, we decided to leave. This is a widespread and systematic racism which should be stopped immediately.”

Another member wrote yesterday that adult foreigners pay 100 baht to enter the Queen Sirikit Botanical Garden in Chiang Mai, while Thai adults pay 40. But it’s not all negativity – members also post places that offer the same prices for Thais and foreigners. “Sukhothai Historical Park offering same prices for Thai and farang,” wrote one user in a Sunday post.

“Doi Tung Tourist Attraction – no dual pricing, and the nicest gardens I’ve seen in Thailand,” wrote another, referring to the Mae Fah Luang Botanical Garden in Chiang Rai.

Screenshot 2020-07-09 at 22.42.32.png

SOURCE: Khaosod English

It just so happens that I am about to produce a new topic about an outstanding Park/Attraction we visited yesterday up here in the north west of Thailand.

It was the superb and very extensive "Terayawan Tropical Garden"  which was really much more than simply a tropical garden with many interesting things to see.

No dual pricing here with the entrance fee being 50 baht reduced to zero for this farlang ( and Sai's Mum and Dad) as they do not charge for ..................................."senior citizens"

Much to Sai's continual amusement.

l did not know whether to be pleased or insulted.🤣

Either way, great value even at 50 baht.

Edited by Jambo
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 1

I'm sure it was the floating market for us, we had maybe half a dozen Thai's in tow and my entrance fee was higher than all the Thai's added together.

Now at Mini Siam I showed them my Thai driving licence and only paid the Thai entrance fee.

I think its very much weather the faring is willing to pay the high price or not...

• Thumbs Up 1

This is common the world over in many poorer countries. I don’t get the moan tbh, even the farang price is usually piss all in the whole scheme of things and it’s usually tight arses having a moan for the sake of it........I don’t care about the principle of it, you’re either willing to pay or not.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

43 minutes ago, Sangsom said:

This is common the world over in many poorer countries. I don’t get the moan tbh, even the farang price is usually piss all in the whole scheme of things and it’s usually tight arses having a moan for the sake of it........I don’t care about the principle of it, you’re either willing to pay or not.

I agree said it many times I grew up in a tourist resort and there was always double pricing one for locals , one for holidaymakers (Oh and treble for Prestonians 🤣🤣🤣)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roomark said:

I agree said it many times I grew up in a tourist resort and there was always double pricing one for locals , one for holidaymakers (Oh and treble for Prestonians 🤣🤣🤣)

I’m with the family in Preston (well just outside) at the moment 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sangsom said:

It was common on my visits to the USA and Florida in particular.

One price for locals and another for visitors. I remember a kind lady in the queue for Busch Gardens paying for us all to get in as she could give us the benefit of her reduced rate as a resident.

1 minute ago, Jambo said:

It was common on my visits to the USA and Florida in particular.

One price for locals and another for visitors. I remember a kind lady in the queue for Busch Gardens paying for us all to get in as she could give us the benefit of her reduced rate as a resident.

There’s even a few things here in Nottingham for me that are cheaper for me as a ‘resident of the city’......

3 hours ago, roomark said:

Yes but in Thailand it's often not 'double pricing'. It is quite often 5 or even 10 times more expensive for a farang. I don't know of a single tourist attraction in the UK that charges foreigners 10x the amount they charge locals.

5 hours ago, Lanzalad said:

Now at Mini Siam I showed them my Thai driving licence and only paid the Thai entrance fee.

In 2009 at Mini Siam they mistook my Vietnamese (at that time) fiancee*) for Thai, so I paid a bit less than I expected. I didn't make a fuss about it, having learned enough about face in Asia (at home I would have corrected it, done so often enough), but about 15 minutes later a "lady" came after us to check whether my fiancee was indeed Thai and she lost her temper (big time) when I readily admitted she wasn't Thai and refused to pay extra. She completely lost it when I told her it was her problem and to get the police if she thought she had any chance whatsoever after which she decided it was a lost cause and left us in peace. And no, the police didn't show up while we were there (another couple of hours).

*)currently my wife and mother of our two sons

Edited by Freee!!

4 hours ago, Sangsom said:

There’s even a few things here in Nottingham for me that are cheaper for me as a ‘resident of the city’......

Do you show then your Hyson Green Needle exchange card? 555

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

Yes but in Thailand it's often not 'double pricing'. It is quite often 5 or even 10 times more expensive for a farang. I don't know of a single tourist attraction in the UK that charges foreigners 10x the amount they charge locals.

Not arsed over a few £ for something I really wanna do when i'm holiday ..

If I lived there again i'd get a Thai licence simple as that.

Edited by roomark
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, roomark said:

Not arsed over a few £ for something I really wanna do when i'm holiday ..

If I lived there again i'd get a Thai licence simple as that.

That's completely fair.

I'm a firm believer in free markets, they can charge whatever they want, it's up to the customer (farang in this case) whether they want to pay or not.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

That's completely fair.

I'm a firm believer in free markets, they can charge whatever they want, it's up to the customer (farang in this case) whether they want to pay or not.

Truthfully back in the day there was 33 nightclubs in my town and most were £10 and £20 in (which late 80s was a lot of £ ) You got to know the doorman or could prove you were local and most would let you in free or for a drink.

Edited by roomark
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, roomark said:

Truthfully back in the day there was 33 nightclubs in my town and most were £10 and £20 in (which late 80s was a lot of £ ) You got to know the doorman or could prove you were local and most would let you in free.

Still happens here. In fact they usually double the entry fee for stag dos coming over from England.

🤣

Just now, dcfc2007 said:

Still happens here. In fact they usually double the entry fee for stag dos coming over from England.

🤣

🤣🤣🤣🤣

I'd treble it for the chav cnuts nowadays especially with their pouches and tight trakkies.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, roomark said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣

I'd treble it for the chav cnuts nowadays especially with their pouches and tight trakkies.

Don't even start me!

'Men' are now getting lip fillers ffs. 

🤢

• Sad 1

Does anyone know what the pricing at the boxing stadium on Suk in Pattaya is. Some Thai ladies I know were saying it was free for Thais and 2000Baht for Farang. That seemed a little excessive, maybe they were confusing it with 200Baht. Either way I said if I was that interested in watching Thai boxing I could watch it on tv for free.

• Like 1

Despicable practice, but at the same time in goes on in first world countries as well. Many golf courses I’ve played in USA and Canada have had “resident rates”, and your passport is not good enough, you must be from the state or even worse, the same village

2 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

Despicable practice, but at the same time in goes on in first world countries as well. Many golf courses I’ve played in USA and Canada have had “resident rates”, and your passport is not good enough, you must be from the state or even worse, the same village

I mean I get why tight arses don’t like it but ‘despicable’ seems a tad extreme.......

17 minutes ago, Sangsom said:

I mean I get why tight arses don’t like it but ‘despicable’ seems a tad extreme.......

Agreed, I was thinking not of double pricing, but when it’s say, 400B vs 40 for a local

Edited by Golfingboy

On 7/11/2020 at 11:28 AM, andycoll said:

Does anyone know what the pricing at the boxing stadium on Suk in Pattaya is. Some Thai ladies I know were saying it was free for Thais and 2000Baht for Farang. That seemed a little excessive, maybe they were confusing it with 200Baht. Either way I said if I was that interested in watching Thai boxing I could watch it on tv for free.

I've confirmed with a Thai friend it's free for Thais, 1500B for farang, unless a Thai buys the ticket for you, then it's 1000B.

On 7/11/2020 at 12:52 AM, Golfingboy said:

Here's an example I paid yesterday to use the Chesapeake Expressway, which is a stretch of highway of only 16 miles.

Chesapeake.gif

Only residents of Virginia with a Virginia driver's license are eligible for the discount member rate. They crank up the rate on weekends because thousands of tourists use the Chesapeake Expressway on their way to a major U.S. tourist destination, the Outer Banks in North Carolina.

It's a more common practice in the U.S. than many realize.  The neighborhood in which I lived in New York City was visited every day by thousands of tourists as well as tens of thousands of commuters who worked in the area.  Full-time local residents with apartments or rented rooms within in the area were given considerable discounts (10% at grocery stores, 20% at bars, restaurants, shops and services like hairdressing and dry cleaning).  Residents got a discount card from the management of the buildings where we lived.

The big difference between the U.S. and Thai "dual pricing" is that in the U.S., it's based on local residency rather than nationality.  Non-U.S. citizens who live in Virginia can get the Expressway discount and the same applied to the "resident discount cards" in NYC neighborhoods.  It's illegal in the U.S. to give discounts or other favorable treatment solely on the basis of race or nationality, but it's OK to give discounts based on residency.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil