VISA AMNESTY TO END

tommy dee

I wouldn't be surprised. There will be a lot of whinging but people have been told all along to leave the country if they can. I remember Richard barrow posting that the immigration depot told him that farang should stay as close to the airport as possible so they can get on the next available flight. 

My betting is that they'll relent in the end and come up with some sort of money-making fix that will give you, say, a 30-day extension in exchange for a few thousand Baht. I find it hard to imagine them being so generous again and extending the amnesty without making a bent satang out of it, that's just not the Thai way.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, Toy Boy said:

My betting is that they'll relent in the end and come up with some sort of money-making fix that will give you, say, a 30-day extension in exchange for a few thousand Baht. I find it hard to imagine them being so generous again and extending the amnesty without making a bent satang out of it, that's just not the Thai way.

In fairness to them, you could argue they have been more generous than they ought to be. There are still repatriation flights leaving Thailand every week, most tourists could, and should, have made their way home by now.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 7/10/2020 at 6:12 PM, dcfc2007 said:

In fairness to them, you could argue they have been more generous than they ought to be. There are still repatriation flights leaving Thailand every week, most tourists could, and should, have made their way home by now.

You're absolutely right I think a lot of the people that are stuck here or claim to be stuck here saying they can't go home are pretty happy about it not everybody but I'm sure a lot of guys would rather be stuck here than being home

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

2 hours ago, Yesitisdakid said:

You're absolutely right I think a lot of the people that are stuck here or claim to be stuck here saying they can't go home are pretty happy about it not everybody but I'm sure a lot of guys would rather be stuck here than being home

I wonder what will happen to those who for whatever reason have not flown home by the 31st July?

1 hour ago, Jambo said:

I wonder what will happen to those who for whatever reason have not flown home by the 31st July?

If the amnesty end is announced early enough to give them time, some of them will no doubt try and get a new visa to allow them to stay here longer. I don't know how hard it is to get an ED visa these days, but for those under 50 that might be an option?

8 minutes ago, Toy Boy said:

If the amnesty end is announced early enough to give them time, some of them will no doubt try and get a new visa to allow them to stay here longer. I don't know how hard it is to get an ED visa these days, but for those under 50 that might be an option?

The problem for many visas is that you need to apply for them outside of Thailand and border runs aren't possible currently, because once you go out you can't come straight back in. Unless you can switch visa in country you are screwed. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tommy dee said:

well immig will be rammed for sure.    normally its 3-4 wks to get approved but they give u one month during approval phase.  best bet for me is 6 wks now, as the pileup will be m,assive

It amazes me that the govt is so desperate to get rid of these Covid-free visitors at a time when they can't be replaced.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, Yesitisdakid said:

I don't understand how anyone can be stuck. There have been repatriation flights every other day.

They had plenty of warning beforehand that the borders were closing, anybody remaining in Thailand on a tourist visa has done so out of choice.

They are having an extended holiday, who can blame them, but they can't complain now. The Thais have been generous. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, I can sympathise with people who'd rather spend their time in Thailand than back in the West, but many of these supposedly-trapped tourists will have to go back to their jobs sooner or later. I can imagine that they're dreading the day they get an e-mail from HQ saying their firm's opening up again and they should report for duty ASAP. The problem is that a lot of them might not have a job to go back to the way things are going. At least if you're back home and pestering your boss or HR to find out when work is starting again, they won't have forgotten about you. Claiming you're trapped in Thailand when you're not might be taken as a lack of loyalty or interest in your work. But just as a lot of the younger people haven't really taken the virus seriously, I don't think many of them understand what is going to happen to the job market later in the year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bazle said:

It amazes me that the govt is so desperate to get rid of these Covid-free visitors at a time when they can't be replaced.

Well this fits perfectly with when they would not let farang into Thailand even with a visa because...............Well because farangs were visiting Thailand too much....

1 hour ago, dcfc2007 said:

I don't understand how anyone can be stuck. There have been repatriation flights every other day.

They had plenty of warning beforehand that the borders were closing, anybody remaining in Thailand on a tourist visa has done so out of choice.

They are having an extended holiday, who can blame them, but they can't complain now. The Thais have been generous. 

Actually I believe the Thais had no intention of giving so much as one day of free visa time......They were about the last country to cancel visa requirements... 

They were ordered to get with the visa holiday program for stranded tourist and compiled reluctantly....

Watch what is happening in other countries....It might also very well happen here...

Edited by fforest

this may sopund harsh but if they can afford to live here 5 months visa free, they can afford to get a proper visa or pay the 22K to get home.  ( evsa flies every sunday without fail to Uk and once a week to LAX too, all with empty seats

as I pay for my visa and WP and pay taxes i dont see what right the sponger have to saty here without proper papers too

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, fforest said:

Actually I believe the Thais had no intention of giving so much as one day of free visa time......They were about the last country to cancel visa requirements... 

They were ordered to get with the visa holiday program for stranded tourist and compiled reluctantly....

Watch what is happening in other countries....It might also very well happen here...

Who ordered them? Thailand told tourists for at least 2 weeks that they should start heading home, they didn't.

They then granted tourists a 3 month amnesty, but they were told to make their way home, there has been repatriation flights the whole time.

I'm sorry, but I just don't get how anyone is 'stuck' there. They are enjoying a 5 month holiday, who could blame them, if I was in Thailand I would have done the same. 

Edited by dcfc2007
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, tommy dee said:

this may sopund harsh but if they can afford to live here 5 months visa free, they can afford to get a proper visa or pay the 22K to get home.  ( evsa flies every sunday without fail to Uk and once a week to LAX too, all with empty seats

as I pay for my visa and WP and pay taxes i dont see what right the sponger have to saty here without proper papers too

I don't know enough about the subject to answer this question: are there visas which these people qualify for?