VISA AMNESTY TO END

tommy dee

6 minutes ago, mrcharliemofo said:

I've got a friend here at the minute and his education visa ends around the end of this month and apparently they're not being renewed ?. He's been quoted 25,000bt for a 90 day visa to stay. His return flight was with Qantas which isn't going to happen and he's told me he's looking at flights back to NZ and one way he's seeing 35,000bt.

Okay he should probably have planned to get out but I reckon any airlines now will start hiking the prices up and the immigration agents and immigration office themselves are getting ready to fill their boots with cash.

What 90 day visa was he offered? 

11 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

What 90 day visa was he offered? 

No idea now you mention it, another lad I know here was on about a volunteer visa and isn't there some sort of medical visa too ? Luckily I'm an old fart and sorted my retirement renewal last month so I don't have to worry about it for now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mrcharliemofo said:

No idea now you mention it, another lad I know here was on about a volunteer visa and isn't there some sort of medical visa too ? Luckily I'm an old fart and sorted my retirement renewal last month so I don't have to worry about it for now.

Interesting pal. I thought for almost all visas you had to leave the country and come back in, but I'm no visa expert. They are opening up another visa centre at Muang Thong Thani, all the indications are that the amnesty is going to end on the 31st of July. It would be decent of Thai immigration to give people as much notice as possible. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

Interesting pal. I thought for almost all visas you had to leave the country and come back in, but I'm no visa expert. They are opening up another visa centre at Muang Thong Thani, all the indications are that the amnesty is going to end on the 31st of July. It would be decent of Thai immigration to give people as much notice as possible. 

As you know there's ways around just about everything here if the envelopes are full enough. Imagine the fun it's going to be if they decide to tell all the amnesty people that they have to be out by the end of this month. I'm half thinking that even these monkeys in charge wouldn't leave it much longer to announce their decision but still nothing confirmed.

Edited by mrcharliemofo
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, Jambo said:

I was in Immigration both this morning and again after they reopened following enjoying their somewhat extended lunch. It was busy in the morning and heaving in the afternoon.

The first voice I heard was an older gentleman saying in a loud voice to Reception "But l cannot get a flight back to the USA by 31 July!"

I expect many in Immigration today had similar problems.

My bank were late opening this morning so I was in at 9.40 but did not get back to Immigration until 10.30. Larry always praises the service in the office next door who comp!eye the application, all the required copies and put everything together in the right order.I know in theory I could do the myself but 200 baht it was just one thing not to worry about.

Only two ahead of Me in the morning so just 20 minutes for my turn. All going great at first with the guy going very quickly through each page with his highlighter pen working overtime. But this Immigration and he finds something of course to get me on. He notices my bank letter commences on the 19th September 2019 when I switched the bank deposit from a savings account to an interest account. 

"How do we know you kept 800K in the previous savings account from 22July - 29 September? Go back to the bank and get them to confirm with statement. "

Which is what I did returning to Immigration to find that they had taken lunch 15 minutes early.:default_biggrin::default_biggrin:

I collect  my passport tomorrow. Finished for another year.

Captain America is full of shit, there are plenty of flights to various U.S cities from Bangkok. Thai immigration aren't stupid, they will know this, its people like him that give farang a bad name. He's had his holiday, he's enjoyed a generous visa break, now f**k off home! 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Murchie said:

Visited a visa agent yesterday. Explained that I can't fly back to Kuwait until the 8th August. Just pay the fine for the one week overstay was the recommendation.

At least honest enough not to make a quick buck. Sounds like a good recommendation as long as you don't run afoul of immigration in those 8 days.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/12/2020 at 3:54 PM, Krapow said:

My mate is currently on a flight back to London right now. 

Been in Thailand since Feb, no intention of going home before now. 

I wish I had done it now, had the chance to get out there just before everything went to shit with the flights, I've not been to work so could have had myself a nice extended trip. Would have been ideal lockdown in Bangkok instead of home.😀

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Murchie said:

Visited a visa agent yesterday. Explained that I can't fly back to Kuwait until the 8th August. Just pay the fine for the one week overstay was the recommendation.

I was thinking along these lines too and trying to get something sorted could put your self in the cross hairs so to speak.

5 hours ago, JPK said:

I wish I had done it now, had the chance to get out there just before everything went to shit with the flights, I've not been to work so could have had myself a nice extended trip. Would have been ideal lockdown in Bangkok instead of home.😀

Buyers market!

Not that you'd be interested like, you've a one women man with your girlfriend :whistle:

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Buyers market!

Not that you'd be interested like, you've a one women man with your girlfriend :whistle:

Definitely a buyers market, got my Thai phone with me here had to turn it off the amount of notifications I was getting from line and  tinder 😀

That first plane load of guys that land in Thailand will have a cracken time. I can imagine it now,  loads of hookers hanging around arrivals at suvarnabhumi waiting on the planes landing😂😂

Edited by JPK
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, JPK said:

Definitely a buyers market, got my Thai phone with me here had to turn it off the amount of notifications I was getting from line and  tinder 😀

That first plane load of guys that land in Thailand will have a cracken time. I can imagine it now,  loads of hookers hanging around arrivals at suvarnabhumi waiting on the planes landing😂😂

Fantasy Island, the plane boss, the plane ...

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, fforest said:

Right as the business reopen the farangs who could support those business get kicked out......A coincidence ?......I think not......

Why would the governments not want to do everything possible to keep as many Covid free tourist in Thailand and Bali as possible?

Because

It will be just too hilarious to let all these desperate business reopen (and take away more of the few farange left) and then watch these business fall on their ass and close forever....... Absolutely Hilarious says the 1% ers..... 

And returning tourist will not be saving the day because we have created endless hoops for them to jump through.....1%ers Grab your popcorn this is going to be a real knee slapper.....

Not sure you're speaking about Bali or Thai.

In the Bali case all of the "must leave" cases are people who stayed here on VOA and monthly visa runs. Visa runs mainly to SGP, there used to be plenty cheap flight, leaving in the morning, back in the evening.

Nearly all digital nomads, Youtubers etc used this. 

Plus a certain number of tourists who preferred to wait it out here instead of going back. I know a French guy in that case, came for 2 months and decided not to take the rapatriation flight. Living of his jobless allowance, live being more fun in than in Paris in this times.

Immigration was rather tolerant with them, but obviously has decided to draw the line in the sand now. 

Yes, those people do contribute to the local economy, but as a government 10,000 low level foreigners are probably considered insignificant in the global scheme.

For people who have a proper visa  (retirement, married, W.P.) there is nothing changed.

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

the UK will follow and the US too for sure.  flights weekly available. a lot dont want to go home because this appears to be a safew haven for now,  and we have less restrictions  than their home countries.  Me I NEED to fly home to see my mother, but cant.  she still wont have anyone stay with her or get close,e ven my sisters.  and the quaraninte, which I agree with, would be a royal pain too.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Freee!! said:

At least honest enough not to make a quick buck. Sounds like a good recommendation as long as you don't run afoul of immigration in those 8 days.

I wouldn't worry about that ... a Visa violation is a minor issue .. yea, some immigration coppers will try to make it a big deal .. never mind ..

Many, many years ago I overstayed my Visa for 5 - 6 years ... when I finally got around to getting my new passport and went to a small border town next to Burma .. I said how much baht --- I paid and everything was sorted out ...  it is not a big deal ...

The most he will pay is 20K baht even if you overstay more than 30 days ... so that tells me it is not serious .. if they raised the price to 500K baht more people would take it more seriously ...

I wouldn't worry .. he will be fine

But, I did get detained by immigration about 5 years ago or so .. I was standing on a corner on Ramkhamhaeng Soi 55 ( BKK ) .. waiting for a girl to meet me to eat a dinner ... 3 immigration guys walked up to me and ask me for my passport ( a long story - who the f**k are you I asked ) they took me to the Satorn Immigration Center ... I had to call Daisy ( my maid ) to collect my passport which I was overstayed again -- we sorted it out with some baht and I was free to go

It is really not a big deal ... especially if you don't live in Thailand .. what the F**k are they gonna do to you ?  Deport you .. lol

Edited by code_slayer_bkk
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Jambo said:

I was in Immigration both this morning and again after they reopened following enjoying their somewhat extended lunch. It was busy in the morning and heaving in the afternoon.

The first voice I heard was an older gentleman saying in a loud voice to Reception "But l cannot get a flight back to the USA by 31 July!"

I expect many in Immigration today had similar problems.

My bank were late opening this morning so I was in at 9.40 but did not get back to Immigration until 10.30. Larry always praises the service in the office next door who comp!eye the application, all the required copies and put everything together in the right order.I know in theory I could do the myself but 200 baht it was just one thing not to worry about.

Only two ahead of Me in the morning so just 20 minutes for my turn. All going great at first with the guy going very quickly through each page with his highlighter pen working overtime. But this Immigration and he finds something of course to get me on. He notices my bank letter commences on the 19th September 2019 when I switched the bank deposit from a savings account to an interest account. 

"How do we know you kept 800K in the previous savings account from 22July - 29 September? Go back to the bank and get them to confirm with statement. "

Which is what I did returning to Immigration to find that they had taken lunch 15 minutes early.:default_biggrin::default_biggrin:

I collect  my passport tomorrow. Finished for another year.

Glad you got it sorted Bro .. it really is pretty painless

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, jezza said:

the percentage of people still over here on visa amnesty will be very low.

What makes you say that? I reckon 1000s if not 10.000s of foreigners all over the country are on amnesty, and not just tourists by the way. Anyone who's long stay visa expired and for which the renewal required a border run will be on amnesty as well. 

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

I wouldn't worry about that ... a Visa violation is a minor issue .. yea, some immigration coppers will try to make it a big deal .. never mind ..

Many, many years ago I overstayed my Visa for 5 - 6 years ... when I finally got around to getting my new passport and went to a small border town next to Burma .. I said how much baht --- I paid and everything was sorted out ...  it is not a big deal ...

The most he will pay is 20K baht even if you overstay more than 30 days ... so that tells me it is not serious .. if they raised the price to 500K baht more people would take it more seriously ...

I wouldn't worry .. he will be fine

But, I did get detained by immigration about 5 years ago or so .. I was standing on a corner on Ramkhamhaeng Soi 55 ( BKK ) .. waiting for a girl to meet me to eat a dinner ... 3 immigration guys walked up to me and ask me for my passport ( a long story - who the f**k are you I asked ) they took me to the Satorn Immigration Center ... I had to call Daisy ( my maid ) to collect my passport which I was overstayed again -- we sorted it out with some baht and I was free to go

It is really not a big deal ...

It's not until they make it a big deal, and they just might if the amnesty ends July 31st. 

As long as they don't notice you're on overstay until you are at swampy immigration going out I can't see an issue, but I wouldn't want to get caught outside of the airport in violation of my visa in these circumstances. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Esco said:

What makes you say that? I reckon 1000s if not 10.000s of foreigners all over the country are on amnesty, and not just tourists by the way. Anyone who's long stay visa expired and for which the renewal required a border run will be on amnesty as well. 

Completely agree. Just look back to the scenes when the borders were being closed, thousands queueing outside immigration offices all over the country. Thousands more people on Education Visas, METV etc will face the same predicament. They are preparing to open another visa processing facility at Muang Thong Thani, so they are obviously expecting huge numbers of applications etc. 

25 minutes ago, Esco said:

It's not until they make it a big deal, and they just might if the amnesty ends July 31st. 

As long as they don't notice you're on overstay until you are at swampy immigration going out I can't see an issue, but I wouldn't want to get caught outside of the airport in violation of my visa in these circumstances. 

I am not sure why guys are worried ... jeez, they don't even live here ...

There is a booth at Swampy that says Overstays ( International ) ... just pay the perfunctory fine and be on your way

I am not trying to argue with you .. but, I think it is not a big deal ... it is certainly not Immigration's like you encounter in Israel

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1