Inbound tourists should prepare for 2-week stay

Inbound tourists should prepare for 2-week stay

Screenshot 2020-07-11 at 08.07.11.png

Leisure tourists who would like to visit Thailand during a soft reopening may have to spend at least 14 days within designated areas, though a negative test for Covid-19 after two weeks would free them to go anywhere in the country.

Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn, the tourism and sports minister, said his ministry has talked with Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha about creating a travel bubble for tourists, requiring them to plan a trip with a minimum 14-day stay.

Instead of being kept in quarantine, tourists could still travel within five designated areas: Chiang Mai, Koh Samui, Krabi, Phuket and Pattaya.

After two weeks, foreign tourists must get another swab test to ensure they are virus-free before being approved to continue their excursion to other destinations.

The ministry regularly talks with the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration about the travel bubble plan, which is expected to be concluded in July.

The scheme will be proposed to the full body chaired by Gen Prayut at a later stage.

Mr Phiphat said he still hopes to launch the travel bubble scheme in tandem with low-risk countries in August, as domestic tourism alone cannot fully revive the battered tourism industry.

Although the government is introducing domestic stimulus schemes, domestic tourism activity can make up just 40-45% of tourism revenue.

“It is important to bring inbound visitors to help fill a big vacant spot in tourism revenue and support operators,” Mr Phiphat said. “But they have to travel with the new practice instead.”

The five designated areas for leisure tourists are set to receive the first batch of leisure guests after the Tourism Authority of Thailand conducted a survey with locals and some 74% of respondents agreed with introducing travel bubbles with strict measures.

CLICK HERE

1 hour ago, Thai Spice said:

Another idiot had a great dream last night ?

Perhaps you missed this bit:

"Mr Phiphat said he still hopes to launch the travel bubble scheme in tandem with low-risk countries in August, ...."

• Like 1

This is for a country that has had zero cases of Covid in several weeks, am I right? So FFS, just have everyone off the plane stand by for a temperature check and if normal, then have a pleasant stay. If not normal, then please come with us to experience our luxurious accommodations with three squares a day and a couple of tests over the next 14 days.

Have some hotels on standby and get on with it. Christ.....you would think to get into Thailand, you have to break down Einstein's theory of relativity and give up the nuclear codes.

And for what? All to be charged 105 baht for a bottle of Chang and watch a flabby dancer do a two step shuffle to a 25 year old Cranberries song?

2 minutes ago, Mr. Smooth said:

This is for a country that has had zero cases of Covid in several weeks, am I right? So FFS, just have everyone off the plane stand by for a temperature check and if normal, then have a pleasant stay. If not normal, then please come with us to experience our luxurious accommodations with three squares a day and a couple of tests over the next 14 days.

Have some hotels on standby and get on with it. Christ.....you would think to get into Thailand, you have to break down Einstein's theory of relativity and give up the nuclear codes.

And for what? All to be charged 105 baht for a bottle of Chang and watch a flabby dancer do a two step shuffle to a 25 year old Cranberries song?

the permanent ex pats are lapping this up ,mate...just salivating at your detention

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Mr. Smooth said:

So FFS, just have everyone off the plane stand by for a temperature check and if normal, then have a pleasant stay.

Apparently you don't understand that people are infectious BEFORE symptoms, including fever, develop.

16 minutes ago, Mr. Smooth said:

Tak, the province I am currently spending much of my time each month, has had exactly TWO Covid19 cases in total both of whom were visitors from Pattaya.

When we visited one of its attractions two days ago ( a huge open air Garden Center) I watched four Thai visitors turned away at the entrance because two of the girls did not have face masks with them. They did all pass a temperature check which would not have been difficult because the 18 year old, temperature testing nazi, who refused them entry was not looking at each result shown on the temperature gun. I told him exactly what I thought of him.

4 minutes ago, Jambo said:

Tak, the province I am currently spending much of my time each month, has had exactly TWO Covid19 cases in total both of whom were visitors from Pattaya.

When we visited one of its attractions two days ago ( a huge open air Garden Center) I watched four Thai visitors turned away at the entrance because two of the girls did not have face masks with them. They did all pass a temperature check which would not have been difficult because the 18 year old, temperature testing nazi, who refused them entry was not looking at each result shown on the temperature gun. I told him exactly what I thought of him.

The "temperature guns" have an audible alarm if a set temperature is exceeded.

5 minutes ago, fygjam said:

Apparently you don't understand that people are infectious BEFORE symptoms, including fever, develop.

By Gawd, you are correct Sir. I've been drinking an incredible amount of alcoholic beverages so, seeing as I have murdered millions of innocent brain cells because of it, my brain isn't quite firing on all cylinders at the moment.

Yes I say, anyone entering this lovely Kingdom where, according to the vaunted WHO, over 22,000 people die each year in traffic-related deaths, not only should people undergo tests for the Covid virus, but should also be not given a license to drive under any circumstances, less they perish in a traffic fatality.

I mean, think of it, the traffic-related deaths in Thailand AVERAGE 62 per day, a proverbial rolling wall of death with no possible way to stop it. Buses, cars, trucks, tractors, motos, skateboards, roller skates, unicycles......no matter your choice of wheeled transport, the ominous Grim Reaper is lurking behind the next tree, hiding in the bushes, or around the next bend of the road.

Why, when measured against such gloom and doom statistics as those,  that Covid-19 is but mere childs play and it makes total sense and I wholeheartedly support the grounding of an entire countries economy in order to defeat it.

Now if you would excuse me, I need to pour myself another Crown Royal and coke, with a splash of lime juice for good measure.

After all, it's just after 3 am where I reside and no plans to drive anywhere.

• Great Info 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, fygjam said:

Yup.... and can the thai authorities rely on a 2 week tourist to self isolate for 14 days if they start showing symptoms on day 12 of their trip?

Imagine, Barry from Burnley (apologies to any Barrys from Burnley) climbs on a flight having tested negative 48 hour prior. Lands, temperature is fine, so departs to pattaya to "drink 64 pints and shag 38 women a day" for 14 days. Unfortunately,  he has picked something up on the plane.

Day 12, he wakes feeling a bit rough. "Must have overdone it last night" he thinks. Considers staying in hotel, but can't,  because he's  "got to drink 64 pints and shag 28 women" and he goes home in 2 days. So out he goes, couple of beers in 4 bars, pops into a few gogos, where he's entertained by several ladies, then off to a club. Yup, he's  coughing, but "it's the smoke". 

Just how many people might now show symptoms in a week or so, infected by him. Of course, as its "only the flu" he has refused to wear a mask,  or check in on that app....

Unfortunately the longer this goes on, with some areas of the world seemingly out of control,  the longer i think short term tourists will be kept out. And personally, i dont blame them for that decision.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2