Dengue Fever (Threads merged and Updated 19/08/2021)

247 NEWS

Beware of Dengue fever in raining season already 15 dead

Screenshot 2020-07-15 at 20.17.34.png

The raining season in Thailand always comes with groups of mosquitos, especially if you happen to live nearby a water source. Dengue fever is on the rise with 15 dead and currently 25,708 cases of the fever.

Isan (Northeast Thailand) is where most cases are at. Doctor Suwanchai Wattanayingcharoen from the Department of Disease Control (DDC). The highest age range of dengue fever cases are ages between 15-24 years old, 10-14 years old come at second-most cases, and 25-34 years old at third most cases. Although found more in Isan, there are cases across the nation at the current moment.

Chaiyaphum province has the highest number of dengue fever followed by Rayong Province, Khon Kaen Province, Mae Hong Son Province, and Nakhon Ratchasima.

Dengue fever cases are expected to rise as the weather forecast from the Meteorological Department of Thailand predicts that many provinces in Thailand will continue to have heavy and continuous rain, resulting in more mosquitos, especially in areas near water.

The DDC warns those in Thailand to beware of mosquitoes and to take safety precautions that are necessary for the household. There are 3 main ways to protect against dengue fever that includes 1. Clean your home to avoid water collection where mosquitoes can lay eggs, 2. To clean up areas around the home, especially plastic waste where water can be trapped, and 3.

To store water in a closed unit. These 3 practices can help protect against more mosquitoes decreasing the risk of dengue fever, Zika Virus, Chikungunya Disease.

Dengue Fever is caused by the Dengue virus, a mosquito-borne tropical disease which is why Thailand usually has a rise of dengue fever every time the raining season arrives.

The symptoms of the fever include fever, headache, nausea, muscle pain, joint pain, and a skin rash appearing all over the body including the back. Onset is usually at 3-24 days after exposure to the mosquito with a dengue virus.

In a small number of cases, the dengue fever develops into a severe hemorrhagic fever that results in bleeding, low blood platelets, and blood plasma leakage. These bad cases can end up in dengue shock syndrome if blood pressure drops to a dangerous level.

Pattaya One News

18 minutes ago, lazarus said:

If you've ever had it you wouldn't be joking. And the second time is even worse.

After looking at the age ranges in the report then I'm way to old to catch it so it's another one of those if you catch it you catch it and short of wearing full protective clothing every time I go out nothing is going to stop that happening.

Not a pleasant way to go

But since it's transmitted by Mosquitos to humans, it might be difficult to put them in lockdown. Fortunately the little bastards don't live that long, but long enough to spread desease. Not much chance of them flying to Europe ☹️

22 minutes ago, lazarus said:

If you've ever had it you wouldn't be joking. And the second time is even worse.

Yeah, same as cancer, ebola, SARS, AIDS, a heart attack, a stroke... not to forget a motorcycle accident .....

When ones lives in tropical climats, you know the risks.....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thejakartapost.com/amp/news/2020/03/12/dengue-fever-kills-104-infects-more-than-17000-nationwide-since-january.html

https://coconuts.co/bali/news/more-than-6000-dengue-fever-cases-recorded-in-bali/

It ain't gonna stop me going for a Bintang today !

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Yeah, same as cancer, ebola, SARS, AIDS, a heart attack, a stroke... not to forget a motorcycle accident .....

When ones lives in tropical climats, you know the risks.....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thejakartapost.com/amp/news/2020/03/12/dengue-fever-kills-104-infects-more-than-17000-nationwide-since-january.html

https://coconuts.co/bali/news/more-than-6000-dengue-fever-cases-recorded-in-bali/

It ain't gonna stop me going for a Bintang today !

I have had three of the above and I don't even live in the Tropics 😄

20 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

I have had three of the above and I don't even live in the Tropics 😄

Now I understand you stay home and wear a mask ...😁😁😁

Ever tought about buying a lotterie ticket ?

Ok, laaaa..... joking....

2 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

Better start confining everybody at home and close the beach immediately ! 

Staying home and avoiding mosquitos saves lives

Thank you.

48 minutes ago, mrcharliemofo said:

That was exactly my first thought too when I saw the report.

Ignorance really must be bliss for some!

Aedes aegypti, the mosquito mainly responsible for Dengue.

Flight range studies suggest that most female Ae. aegypti may
spend their lifetime in or around the houses where they emerge as adults.

However, Ae. aegypti breed indoors and are capable of biting
anyone throughout the day. The indoor habitat is less susceptible
to climatic variations and increases the mosquitoes’ longevity.

The electronic song “Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites” reduces host
attack and mating success in the dengue vector Aedes aegypti.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0001706X19301202

2 minutes ago, fygjam said:

Ignorance really must be bliss for some!

Aedes aegypti, the mosquito mainly responsible for Dengue.

Flight range studies suggest that most female Ae. aegypti may
spend their lifetime in or around the houses where they emerge as adults.

However, Ae. aegypti breed indoors and are capable of biting
anyone throughout the day. The indoor habitat is less susceptible
to climatic variations and increases the mosquitoes’ longevity.

The electronic song “Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites” reduces host
attack and mating success in the dengue vector Aedes aegypti.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0001706X19301202

Oh FFS. Ok call me ignorant then because I'm not the sort that gives the slightest of shits about all the scare stories. If I believed all the shit spouted about playing safe I'd never ride a motorbike here, never get on a bus, never cross Second or Third Road,, never eat street food, never bareback a lady, never do anything exciting at all.

When the big bloke up above decides it's time for me to join him up there he'll take me regardless of any healthy eating I may have done etc etc etc.

• Thumbs Up 2

10 minutes ago, mrcharliemofo said:

Oh FFS. Ok call me ignorant then because I'm not the sort that gives the slightest of shits about all the scare stories. If I believed all the shit spouted about playing safe I'd never ride a motorbike here, never get on a bus, never cross Second or Third Road,, never eat street food, never bareback a lady, never do anything exciting at all.

When the big bloke up above decides it's time for me to join him up there he'll take me regardless of any healthy eating I may have done etc etc etc.

Spot on ! 👍👍👍👍

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 year later...
  • john luke changed the title to Dengue Fever (Threads merged and Updated 19/08/2021)
53 minutes ago, joker said:

At 85% asymptomatic only 15% will even notice they 'had it'.....

You ever 'had it'..? 

BTW, your asymptomatic statistic is 'off' a bit, but that's irrelevant to some degree as(much like Covid) anyone who is infected can transmit the disease to another (via mosquito bites).

From the American Journal of Epidemiology (see link below):

"...390 million dengue infections per year, of which only 96 million are symptomatic..."

Best to take it (a little seriously) if you live in a location with known infected mosquitoes, otherwise it's a non issue.

A little background reading for the curious:

. . .

Force of Infection and True Infection Rate of Dengue in Singapore: Implications for Dengue Control and Management

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6670050/

Dengue viral infection is a major threat to global health. Numbers of reported cases across the Americas, Southeast Asia, and the western Pacific exceeded 1.2 million in 2008 and 3 million in 2013. Dengue notifications have been likened to the tip of an iceberg, however, as there are many more infections than reported, because of asymptomatic infections and infections that are misdiagnosed or for which medical attention is not sought.

Several prospective cohort studies conducted in Thailand and Nicaragua showed that numbers of infections were 8- to 20-fold higher than national numbers of reported cases. Inapparent infection obscures estimates of the true number of cases of this reemerging disease. Recently, modeling conducted to map the global distribution of dengue risk estimated 390 million dengue infections per year, of which only 96 million are symptomatic. This estimate is at least thrice the figure provided by the World Health Organization...

. . .

Dengue epidemiology

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2414644719300077

2.3. Population distribution
Any age of the population can be infected with DENV, with approximately 30%–60% of them showing symptoms. However, distinctions exist between endemic and non-endemic areas. Infection rate is higher in young adults in non-endemic areas. While in endemic districts, children have the highest incidence rate and make up 85% of total cases in Thailand, which is mainly in the aged 8- to 9-years group. Further, DHF has become the main reason for hospitalization and death for children. 

3.1. Source of infection
Humans are the principal amplifying hosts of DENV.  Cases act as the main infection source, with a communicable period from pre-one day to post-five day from onset date, in which Aedes bites disseminate virus to healthy people.  In addition, once infected, the person may enter unapparent infection with a probability of >50%.

. . .

Dengue Fever: A repeat infection is more dangerous than the first

https://www.samitivejhospitals.com/article/detail/Dengue-Fever

...Dengue fever is caused by contracting the dengue virus, which is passed on to humans via mosquitoes and is therefore capable of rapid spread. Up to half of the world’s population are considered at risk of dengue fever, with 390 million people contracting the disease each year. Of those infections, 96 million people experience symptoms and 500,000 of those require a hospital stay due to the severity of their illness. Of that group, 2.5% lose their lives to the disease—1.5 deaths per hour can be attributed to dengue fever. In Thailand alone, 2019 saw 128,421 symptomatic cases of dengue fever, including 133 deaths...

Edited by lazarus

On 8/20/2021 at 12:56 AM, misteregg said:

I’ve had Denge twice now. I’ve been told that it has already effected my organs and, ironically, I had a heart attack this year.

I have been told that a third case could be fatal.

I do my best to stay away from mosquitoes.

Bonebreak fever mate. I am more wary of that shit any day than I am of covid. Besides... I just plain hate skeeters.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...