Vinyl records

john1000

Looking at my collection which I have had since I was 15, and deciding if they are worth keeping or selling as having a clear out. Do have a turntable but rarely play. But it's a record of my life from teens to thirties. Around 400 so taking up space....Anyone here still play vinyl?

Spotted a few vintage beer stains from parties took me back.

Really wish I still owned my vinyl, had a mental collection of metal promo stuff, picture discs, white label rave 12" etc. 

Used to love Saturdays at Our Price or the record and tape exchange in Shepherds Bush. 

Rave stuff I would buy from Troublesome Records in Kingston. 

Edited by galenkia

Used all my 45's as targets for a new air rifle after I felt really bad at shooting a pigeon sitting on next doors roof. It did not seem fair considering it filled the telescopic sight. ☺

Gave my extensive album collection to the Oxfam shop when I was about to move to Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Jambo said:

Used all my 45's as targets for a new air rifle after I felt really bad at shooting a pigeon sitting on next doors roof. It did not seem fair considering it filled the telescopic sight. ☺

Gave my extensive album collection to the Oxfam shop when I was about to move to Thailand.

I hope you didn't give one of these away to Oxfam, about 10 exist on the A&M label and can fetch about £15K

sex.jpg

Some years ago I was getting fed up with the space my vinyl collection was taking up, especially given that I'd long ago got rid of my record player. I priced what I thought were the most valuable albums up on the internet and there was really nothing worth selling or keeping. It all got given to the local charity shops in my home town, and to be honest I don't miss it one bit. That was 240 albums, now if only I could do the same thing with my collection of over 800 CD's...

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

You been sneeking a peek at my collection.

Great album, some have sold for many thousands of pounds but some only for £600 or £700.

I will keep hold of it for a while as it is in good condition.

The holy grail for a Bowie fan like me. Got to be worth £4-5K in mint condition.

• Thumbs Up 1

Had a good few hundred LPs stored at my Mum’s house, never found them when clearing out her house after she passed away, we reckon she gave them away to some ‘charity’ folk that came knocking at her door. There was loads of our family stuff missing, she suffered from severe dementia at the end and we think some real low life’s had made repeat visits to clear her out. 

I have loads, many old punk ones, Joy Division Love will Tear up apart original pic cover.

Funny enough, was playing with the child last night, she loves to sing, dance, show off.

I played Big Fatty Bum Bum online to her, she thought it was funny. And the video to it was just a 7inch vinyl going round.  She looked at it puzzled, asked me what it was?

Got me thinking lol. 

I spent most of my youth and money going to Good Vibrations record shop in Belfast, dodging bombs, to get my punk records. Every time you were full of excitment and anticipation to see what rare records he had in, what you could get.

They even made a great movie about that shop, Terri Hooley who ran it, the whole era, and us punks who said f**k you to the paramilitaries, we'll choose our own mates and do our own thing.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/good_vibrations_2012

• Like 1

12 hours ago, monkey_omelette said:

The holy grail for a Bowie fan like me. Got to be worth £4-5K in mint condition.

I was at the last 2 Ziggy Stardust concerts at Hammersmith Odeon, the final one where Jeff Beck came on and David Bowie announced he would never play Ziggy again.

Great memories.

Daughter's boyfriend buys and sells them online and makes a really good living out of it. Problem is he came to live during lockdown and the sodding doorbell never stops ringing just as I'm having my power naps. Or lazy lie ins or crafty forty winks ......... DELIVERY !!! .... Front room looks like an old record shop in Wardour Street from the 70s.

When I moved to Thailand I decided to sell all my vinyl albums. I had a decent collection, possibly about 80. By googling I found some shop/collector in Reading I believe. I sent him the full list, he drove to Bedford, where I was working at the time and he bought the lot - just shy of £1k.

There was nothing particularly valuable individually, but as he loaded them in the car I did feel sad. First album I bought was "Very 'Eavy, Very 'Umble" by Uriah Heep.

I decided to keep all my singles for posterity sake. Love my collection, loads of Beatles, Rolling Stones, Kinks and Hollies. First single I bought was Johnny Kidd and the Pirates - I'll Never Get Over You". When I first bought singles they were 6s 8d - exactly 3 for a quid.

I'm one of those guys where a song will really put me in a place in my history. Great memories, hence why I'm keeping them.

1 hour ago, Britboy said:

When I moved to Thailand I decided to sell all my vinyl albums. I had a decent collection, possibly about 80. By googling I found some shop/collector in Reading I believe. I sent him the full list, he drove to Bedford, where I was working at the time and he bought the lot - just shy of £1k.

There was nothing particularly valuable individually, but as he loaded them in the car I did feel sad. First album I bought was "Very 'Eavy, Very 'Umble" by Uriah Heep.

I decided to keep all my singles for posterity sake. Love my collection, loads of Beatles, Rolling Stones, Kinks and Hollies. First single I bought was Johnny Kidd and the Pirates - I'll Never Get Over You". When I first bought singles they were 6s 8d - exactly 3 for a quid.

I'm one of those guys where a song will really put me in a place in my history. Great memories, hence why I'm keeping them.

Music was always playing in my house, mum was a Teddy girl back in the day and a big Elvis fan. Dad liked his jazz, blues and big band music. 

Remember we would go to Woolworths back in the 70's to buy singles. 

All this downloading ain't the same as buying a physical record. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Music was always playing in my house, mum was a Teddy girl back in the day and a big Elvis fan. Dad liked his jazz, blues and big band music. 

Remember we would go to Woolworths back in the 70's to buy singles. 

All this downloading ain't the same as buying a physical record. 

Agreed

Was all part of the experience looking through the albums / singles looking at the cover and the inner sleeve.

Buying singles on 12inch, picture discs etc.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, roomark said:

Agreed

Was all part of the experience looking through the albums / singles looking at the cover and the inner sleeve.

Buying singles on 12inch, picture discs etc.

So much effort went into making quality sleeves, used to love the gatefold albums and picture discs. 

Looking through the racks in the second hand record shops was great. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1