Vinyl records

john1000

On 7/16/2020 at 10:29 AM, monkey_omelette said:

I turned one of my obscure albums into a clock for my living room wall. Can anyone guess who it's by?

IMG_1705.JPG

Think it's           Sigue Sigue Sputnik - Love Missile F1-11 (1986)

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/16/2020 at 8:28 AM, john1000 said:

Looking at my collection which I have had since I was 15, and deciding if they are worth keeping or selling as having a clear out. Do have a turntable but rarely play. But it's a record of my life from teens to thirties. Around 400 so taking up space....Anyone here still play vinyl?

Spotted a few vintage beer stains from parties took me back.

Started buying vinyl again 4 years ago, love it. Now expensive.

ive been buying it the last 7 yrs or so just limited edtion stuff i like but just need a record player to play it all.just ordered the metallica s&m2  they did last year plus the blu ray of it to got few motorhead limited edtion colour albums and lot more.independent record store day is a blast to lot of artists release rare stuff and limited amounts.but u have to be early to get what u want ive queued from 5am and still not got in till 2 hrs after store open.

35 minutes ago, thunder367 said:

ive been buying it the last 7 yrs or so just limited edtion stuff i like but just need a record player to play it all.just ordered the metallica s&m2  they did last year plus the blu ray of it to got few motorhead limited edtion colour albums and lot more.independent record store day is a blast to lot of artists release rare stuff and limited amounts.but u have to be early to get what u want ive queued from 5am and still not got in till 2 hrs after store open.

I had Motorheads blue version of Bomber and a gold No Sleep Til Hammersmith. 

10 hours ago, galenkia said:

All this downloading ain't the same as buying a physical record. 

Couldn't agree more.

I love looking at my old singles, but currently don't have a deck to play them on. The pride of my single collection is a picture cover of The Beatles Twist and Shout EP.

My dad (who died 25 years ago) was into Al Jolson in a big way and when my mum recently passed away and going through the house and found their old records as well as my Grandma's, who was a real dancer in her day. These are obviously 78's and as heavy as hell. Have catalogued them all, some a worth a few quid as very rare.

• Like 1

My vinyl collection has been in the garage for yonks and most are probably warped and unplayable. My turntable is there also. Damn shame really as I'm still of the opinion that a good clean piece of vinyl played through a half decent hi-fi set up will sound a lot better than any CD. 

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, Aqualung said:

My vinyl collection has been in the garage for yonks and most are probably warped and unplayable. My turntable is there also. Damn shame really as I'm still of the opinion that a good clean piece of vinyl played through a half decent hi-fi set up will sound a lot better than any CD. 

Vinyl sounds so much better for older records, I miss the hiss and crackle from some old LPs that are gone from the CDs. 
A good quality vinyl LP played on a good deck deck sounds much nicer than a digital recording as nothing is chopped into bits. 

• Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, Aqualung said:

get it out and try it worth a try if u keeped them dry and flat u may get lucky

• Like 1

Used to work in a record shop (remember them) and people used to come in on a regular basis with copies of the White album and original Elvis etc and think they had hit the jackpot.
Truth is they aren’t worth that much.
Every year I hear that vinyl is making a comeback. Whilst it has sentimental memories for us, digital is much better.

Was into taping personally. Had a reel to reel at eight years old, then a cassette player when they first came out. Just a little mono Hitachi first but got a better stereo Sony later.

Got over 300 albums on cassette. 

27 minutes ago, nampla69 said:

Madness grew up near me remember seeing them around ........  

my sad life first vinyl I remember was this ...my old man was in the same school in Waterford so .Unknown.jpeg

Can picture you in a cardi and rocking chair. 😀

• Haha 1

I remember Delaneys Donkey ............he did write something else about an animal that used to be banned from being mentioned on the old Shh Forum. 

Got it ...... got it ............................  Paddy McGinty's Stoat .............. BM Jambo and the Pretty Bitch remember the original stoat story........... 

• Haha 1