Wigan - Points Deduction - Justice or Otherwise?

john luke

Championship Club Wigan are due to have a 12 point deduction due to the club going into Administration.  

Depending upon several results on matches played on Wednesday evening this could be critical in respect of their relegation or otherwise in their relegation from the Championship into League 1.  The club are appealing againt the points deduction on the grounds of force majeure caused by the Corvid 19 panademic.

Is the deduction of points fair or justified in these circumstances?

Seems very harsh on clubs that are struggling to survive then go into administration. Then the F A put the boot in with a points deduction. With this covid-19 crisis many more clubs will end up in the same situation as wigan, maybe to the extend a whole division of clubs could be lost. Not a good situation at all.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mr Mosquito said:

There needs to be a complete de-leveraging of players salaries and transfer fees..........the current levels are totally unsustainable.

And this needs applying to every division including the PL. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just been reading about this .......... Derby, Sheffield Wednesday in the same position and if Wigan win the next game 12 point deduction will not matter.

To be honest John Luke having read about all 3 clubs not a clue ........... if Man City get away with far worse ..... dunno.

Football needs to be run by non crooks such as Gold, Sullivan and ................... I'll get me coat, face mask and hand sanitiser ..........

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Mr Mosquito said:

It's not in the least bit harsh. The force majeure is a load of bollox and the points deduction is totally justified. Clubs should have have enough working capital to withstand a temporary downtown in revenue.

The fact of the matter is most clubs in the Championship are living way beyond their means and running at a massive financial loss. There needs to be a complete de-leveraging of players salaries and transfer fees..........the current levels are totally unsustainable.

And all other divisions.    SHOULD HAVE DONE IT 25 YEARS AGO. To late now.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, KWA said:

I thought this was all something to do with a Far East gambler and a humungous lot of bets in the Philippines?  When did fair come into it?

Yep, crooked owner placed a massive bet on them being relegated in the Phillipines. 

Then did his best to help.sold it to another company he was majority share holder in who straight away put it into administration. 

Remember Bury FC? 

Lovely little club who unwittingly let shysters in to run the club. 

As for Wigan. Hope things work out for them. Maybe a merger with the owners of Wigan Warriors. I just hope they remember which shaped ball to kick off with next season. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/20/2020 at 5:28 PM, nampla69 said:

Just been reading about this .......... Derby, Sheffield Wednesday in the same position and if Wigan win the next game 12 point deduction will not matter.

To be honest John Luke having read about all 3 clubs not a clue ........... if Man City get away with far worse ..... dunno.

Football needs to be run by non crooks such as Gold, Sullivan and ................... I'll get me coat, face mask and hand sanitiser ..........

Regarding the Dildo Brothers , that would be me done 

• Haha 1

My Scottish team Hearts have been relegated when the SPL declared the season over with eight matches still to be played.

We were shite last season but that is immaterial.

If they do not allow fans into the games by October there will be Scottish football clubs going into administration in droves because many are totally dependent upon match day fans through the turnstiles. Hearts is one of the exceptions having already nearly sold 10,000 season tickets even with the enforced relegation.

When I lived in Edinburgh, Hearts AWAY support (along with Rangers and Celtic)  kept some of the Scottish clubs in business.  The Hearts fans are going to boycott going to the clubs that voted against no relegation.

Edited by Jambo
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Jambo said:

My Scottish team Hearts have been relegated when the SPL declared the season over with eight matches still to be played.

We were shite last season but that is immaterial.

If they do not allow fans into the games by October there will be Scottish football clubs going into administration in droves because many are totally dependent upon match day fans through the turnstiles. Hearts is one of the exceptions having already nearly sold 10,000 season tickets even with the enforced relegation.

When I lived in Edinburgh, Hearts AWAY support (along with Rangers and Celtic)  kept some of the Scottish clubs in business.  The Hearts fans are going to boycott going to the clubs that voted against no relegation.

Fair play