Netflix in Thailand - Looking for advice

Pumpuynarak

Update - Well one of my sons in the UK has put me on their Netflix account and low and behold so has my mate here in Thailand so i've got two options, which one would be best for me too use ?

I think looking at the procedure for installing Netflix on my Android box (it has'nt been updated for a couple of years) i'll go with the new smart TV which already will have it installed, yes ?

56 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Looking at a Samsung 40" Full HD Smart TV J5250 Series 5 (2018), i'm somewhat restricted on size as it has to fit into a space in my unit.

A general guideline is to sit between 1.5 to 2.5 times the diagonal screen
measurement away, with about a 30-degree viewing angle. For example, if you
have a 40" TV, you should be sitting somewhere between 5 and 8.3 feet from the
screen.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/home-entertainment/tips-and-solutions/sitting-too-close-your-tv%3F-why-distance-matters#:~:text=A general guideline is to,8.3 feet from the screen.

• Great Info 1

9 minutes ago, fygjam said:

A general guideline is to sit between 1.5 to 2.5 times the diagonal screen
measurement away, with about a 30-degree viewing angle. For example, if you
have a 40" TV, you should be sitting somewhere between 5 and 8.3 feet from the
screen.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/home-entertainment/tips-and-solutions/sitting-too-close-your-tv%3F-why-distance-matters#:~:text=A general guideline is to,8.3 feet from the screen.

Well thats brill then cos i sit/lay between 6' and 9' from the screen. 

42 minutes ago, Proffesor said:

I have the 49" version of this and am pleased with it.

I've got two TOTR Samsung TV's bought 13 years ago still working brilliantly so i'm more than happy to buy Samsung again but alas i can't buy anything bigger than 40" due to the size of its intended location.

3 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Update - Well one of my sons in the UK has put me on their Netflix account and low and behold so has my mate here in Thailand so i've got two options, which one would be best for me too use ?

The content available to you on Netflix is based on your location/region, so unless you use a VPN or Proxy server to mimic a different location than Thailand, it shouldn't matter which subscription you use. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Esco said:

The content available to you on Netflix is based on your location/region, so unless you use a VPN or Proxy server to mimic a different location than Thailand, it shouldn't matter which subscription you use. 

Thanks for your post, now i live in Thailand and believe to use my sons i would need to use a VPN, am i correct ? 

Com Dino here lol

As I posted on the previous page, my American friend added me as one of his 5 devices. His account was opened in the US but we BOTH access it here in the Philippines. The Library of available programs we see is very different to what his US friends devices show on his account. A VPN would give you a much bigger choice as you could 'pretend' you were in the US

Edited by biggles
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Great Info 1

11 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Looking at a Samsung 40" Full HD Smart TV J5250 Series 5 (2018),

Off on Tuesday next week with BM Miko to buy the TV but it looks like i'll be upgrading on the advice of Miko, hopefully i'll be watching Netflix soon.

Thanks to all for your help and advice, its appreciated.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Thanks for your post, now i live in Thailand and believe to use my sons i would need to use a VPN, am i correct ? 

Com Dino here lol

Nope. Access where you like and you'll get the content available to you in your location. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/9/2020 at 8:26 PM, Pumpuynarak said:

Off on Tuesday next week with BM Miko to buy the TV but it looks like i'll be upgrading on the advice of Miko, hopefully i'll be watching Netflix soon.

Thanks to all for your help and advice, its appreciated.

Well Miko and i went shopping yesterday and got a Samsung Smart TV 43" UHD 4K for 10690 bht. I have to thank Miko for doing some preparatory work online and seeing this TV for sale at Taifay for 10690, the shop had it for sale at 11990 but when Miko pointed out it was 10690 online they let me have it for the lower price.

We got it all set up eventually but have a big problem (well it is for me lol) i can't get the audio to route from my Denon AVR amp/JBL surround sound speakers through to the TV and am using the TV speaker (NFG for playing music)

I've researched google and i'm sure i've got all the connections right so WTF do i do now ? I'm going back to where i bought it as they did offer a technician to set it up for me.

I'll update when i have some sort of result, i just hope its not the fact that my 6yo Denon Amp is not able to transmit to my 2020 TV.  

Many many thanks to BM Miko, his help has been invaluable, i could'nt have done it without him.

Edited by Pumpuynarak

The Taifay technician came round and sorted it, evidently my setup was no good for the Smart TV, he went and got an Optic cable to run from the TV to the Denon amp.

Now i've got me music back on loud, the neighbours are happy lol, just need to sort out Netflix and a few other issues, no doubt BM Miko will help me out, he's a diamond 👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well i got me Netflix account set up using my son's account in the UK and was all set to watch Breaking Bad and low and behold it kept buffering to the extent that in the end Netflix stated "to try again later", after 4 attempts at watching i gave up. This morning i get wifey to call TOT and see if my internet speed can be increased, hey presto they increased it to 250mbps from 100mbps Fiber Optic.

I'll try BB again later and see if its ok.

• Like 3

I tried to watch BB last night with my increased internet speed and at first it was a problem but after 5 mins it settled down and i watched the whole first episode of series 1, i'm looking forward to more.

My mate here in Thailand has put me on his Thai Netflix account, can i set up on my TV if i already am set up with the UK version ? I had a lookie yesterday and could'nt see how i could do it. 

On 9/22/2020 at 10:01 AM, Pumpuynarak said:

hey presto they increased it to 250mbps from 100mbps Fiber Optic

It surprised me that you got buffering on Netflix with 100mbps fibre. Here in AC I only have 25mbps fibre but dont get buffering. 

I would be surprised if you can be registered on 2 accounts simultaneously. The UK one probably has better program choices anyway

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, biggles said:

It surprised me that you got buffering on Netflix with 100mbps fibre. Here in AC I only have 25mbps fibre but dont get buffering. 

I would be surprised if you can be registered on 2 accounts simultaneously. The UK one probably has better program choices anyway

It doesn’t matter where the account is from, it only depends on where you log in from or where you set your VPN to. 

• Like 1

Cliff, not read the whole thread but I remember you telling me you had True Visions via satellite.
Shame, if you had it via internet (TrueID) you could have one of their streaming boxes that has Netflix built in. You would save money on the True bill as well.
Thai Netflix does not need a VON and has everything with Thai subtitles, so the Mrs can watch with you.
Or even better, just leave her watching Netflix and come down to Pattaya for a few drinks in the bar. *wink*

• Great Info 2

On 9/23/2020 at 1:14 PM, biggles said:

Here's my Speed Test using Ookla in Thailand and Testmy.net using Tokyo and London.

Speed test Oakla.PNG

Speed Test Testmy Tokyo.PNG

Speed Test Testmy London.PNG