Netflix in Thailand - Looking for advice

Pumpuynarak

I'm getting a tad tired of Truevisions crap other than sports where the coverage is good imo and am thinking of getting Netflix.

Now what sort of setup do i need to have to get it working well in Thailand, hopefully a Thai resident boardie will be able to assist me, TIA.

One question that pops up straight away is do i need a smart TV which is not a problem as i'm due to buy a new TV ?   

6 minutes ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

I cannot be of any help ...

The only problem I have had with Netfix on my phone and TV is that it is always in Thai ... I have never searched on how to change the default language .. I just said f**k it ..

I'm told i will need a good VPN to enable American/English progs/series.

Pumpuy, just for information :

I have a Sony dvd player connected to the internet and to my TV (not a smart one) . I used to watch Youtube on the TV as it was one of the preprogammed things in the dvd player.

Last time my son was here, and I wanted to show him something on Youtube, he noted the Netflix logo on the screen. Hey, you have Netflix ? No, I dont have the subscription. He said "I have Netflix subscription in France and am allowed 5 different devices to connect on it"

Out comes his phone, and 2 minutes later I have Netflix through his abonnement in France. That was a year ago, and still works. 

So, if you have somebody in UK who has a Netflix subscription, maybe worth to check it.

What I noted is that I can see a lot of stuff that definitively would be censored here ! 

• Thanks 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Pumpuy, just for information :

I have a Sony dvd player connected to the internet and to my TV (not a smart one) . I used to watch Youtube on the TV as it was one of the preprogammed things in the dvd player.

Last time my son was here, and I wanted to show him something on Youtube, he noted the Netflix logo on the screen. Hey, you have Netflix ? No, I dont have the subscription. He said "I have Netflix subscription in France and am allowed 5 different devices to connect on it"

Out comes his phone, and 2 minutes later I have Netflix through his abonnement in France. That was a year ago, and still works. 

So, if you have somebody in UK who has a Netflix subscription, maybe worth to check it.

What I noted is that I can see a lot of stuff that definitively would be censored here ! 

Well i got two sons in the UK who are both tech savvy, i'll get in touch with them and see if its a goer. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

I'm getting a tad tired of Truevisions crap other than sports where the coverage is good imo and am thinking of getting Netflix.

Now what sort of setup do i need to have to get it working well in Thailand, hopefully a Thai resident boardie will be able to assist me, TIA.

One question that pops up straight away is do i need a smart TV which is not a problem as i'm due to buy a new TV ?   

All you need for Netflix is an internet connection and a streaming device, and yes I would recommend getting a SmartTV. 

We use my Netflix subscription on our SmartTV in our house Buriram and it works perfectly. 

Alternatively you can stream via PC, tablet and/or phone. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've watched stuff in Thailand on my U.K Netflix account and even set up a smart tv for my lads to watch it on in LOS

Smart TVs are pretty cheap over there get one Pump it's easier

Edited by roomark
  • Thanks 1

There is loads of English content on the Thai Netflix or you can use a VPN to access the British or USA Netflix. 
If any of your son’s already have accounts you get 5 logins for families per account so they could add you. 
Most relatively modern smart TVs have Netflix apps on them which is the best way to watch for me. 

Edited by Scotty
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Esco said:

All you need for Netflix is an internet connection and a streaming device, and yes I would recommend getting a SmartTV. 

We use my Netflix subscription on our SmartTV in our house Buriram and it works perfectly. 

Alternatively you can stream via PC, tablet and/or phone. 

Internet connection - I've got and its fast enough to run my android box on wifi.

Streaming Device - Could you be more explicit ? Tech dino here lol

Netflix Subscription - Is that the Thai version ?

TIA of your reply

28 minutes ago, roomark said:

I've watched stuff in Thailand on my U.K Netflix account and even set up a smart tv for my lads to watch it on in LOS

Smart TVs are pretty cheap over there get one Pump it's easier

Thats my thinking using my limited knowledge lol

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Scotty said:

There is loads of English content on the Thai Netflix or you can use a VPN to access the British or USA Netflix. 
If any of your son’s already have accounts you get 5 logins for families per account so they could add you. 
Most relatively modern smart TVs have Netflix apps on them which is the best way to watch for me. 

I'll be surprised if they have'nt but i don't really want to burden them if i can avoid as they have enough to contend with living in the UK !!!

I need a new TV so buying a smart TV is probaly the way to go.

Would Thai Netflix English content programes/movies be in English ?

Pump, its not a burden, they just log into their Netflix account and add you as one of the 5 devices allowed to access. My American neighbour here in AC did this for me. When you click on the Netflix logo all his 5 come up, just click on yours to use

The menu of programs here in philippines is different to other countries. I guess thats why you use a VPN, to connect to Netflix. It thinks you are in the UK and shows their orogramme menu

• Thanks 1

I still download everything I want to watch using uTorrent, stick it on a hard drive and connect that to my TV. Am I the only dinosaur left, lol?

It used to be a pain back when the internet was slow, but Thailand's really upped its game on internet speed and I get 200/100 Mbps now and very relaible, I can download a 1080p movie in a few minutes.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Toy Boy said:

I still download everything I want to watch using uTorrent, stick it on a hard drive and connect that to my TV. Am I the only dinosaur left, lol?

It used to be a pain back when the internet was slow, but Thailand's really upped its game on internet speed and I get 200/100 Mbps now and very relaible, I can download a 1080p movie in a few minutes.

Com Dino here mate and i just can't be asked to get involved with this shit, i just want to switch on the TV and press a few buttons on the remote(s)

Internet connection - I've got and its fast enough to run my android box on wifi.

Streaming Device - Could you be more explicit ? Tech dino here lol

Netflix Subscription - Is that the Thai version ?

TIA of your reply

The streaming device is the device you watch Netflix content on. Its a service that streams the content over the internet to your device via the Netflix application. You can download Netflix for PC, Android and IOS depending on the device you use or access it directly via the pre installed Netflix application on your SmartTV. 

You can just get a subscription from Netflix Thailand yes. It's around 10 bucks per month, a little more if you want the best picture quality which is worth it imo. You sign up, create an account with login credentials, and with those credentials you can log onto Netflix on any device. 

• Thanks 1

Com Dino here mate and i just can't be asked to get involved with this shit, i just want to switch on the TV and press a few buttons on the remote(s)

Yeah, I grok that mate.

The advantage, though, is that I'm not restricted to what Netfux decides to offer. Everything is available via bit torrents, and I especially enjoy unearthing some old stuff that often predates the streaming services. A while back I realised that nowadays I really enjoy British travel series, like Michael Palin's many shows. Since then Simon Reeve (who can be a bit irritating but also finds some interesting stuff) has travelled the world, and I've also got a soft spot for Joanna Lumley's travel shows. I downloaded everything they ever produced and am slowly going through it, watching Michael Palin is like uncorking and savouring a fine vintage wine. Half his shows are so old they're only available in the old 4:3 TV screen format, and the quality is not great either, but they are and always will be classics. Pole to Pole, Full Circle, and so on. I don't suppose any of that lot is available on Netflix?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Esco said:

The streaming device is the device you watch Netflix content on. Its a service that streams the content over the internet to your device via the Netflix application. You can download Netflix for PC, Android and IOS depending on the device you use or access it directly via the pre installed Netflix application on your SmartTV. 

You can just get a subscription from Netflix Thailand yes. It's around 10 bucks per month, a little more if you want the best picture quality which is worth it imo. You sign up, create an account with login credentials, and with those credentials you can log onto Netflix on any device. 

I bought a new smart TV mainly because it had Netflix on it, tried to sign up and all good except it wouldn't accept my thai bank card ( Visa ), it said something about the card needs to allow international payments ? I just carried on downloading anything I fancy watching.

As a bit of a sidenote to this my ex saw the Netflix on the TV and said she paid for a Netflix password as part of her monthly thing with AIS but never used it, of course when it came to it she didn't have a clue what it was or where to find it and she couldn't be arsed to call and ask so that never happened.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, mrcharliemofo said:

I bought a new smart TV mainly because it had Netflix on it, tried to sign up and all good except it wouldn't accept my thai bank card ( Visa ), it said something about the card needs to allow international payments ? I just carried on downloading anything I fancy watching.

As a bit of a sidenote to this my ex saw the Netflix on the TV and said she paid for a Netflix password as part of her monthly thing with AIS but never used it, of course when it came to it she didn't have a clue what it was or where to find it and she couldn't be arsed to call and ask so that never happened.

Credit or debit? It does require a credit card, and if it wasn't accepted I imagine that would have something to do with the Thai bank. 

It may have changed, but I used my Netflix account that I started in the US in Thailand for a couple years, using a vpn.  Then just before they rolled out worldwide, they started blocking vpns.   I checked out the Thai Netflix, and found the catalogue in Thailand was sparse compared to US Netflix (<4%), so I cancelled.  Like others above, I've found alternate sources for acquiring video entertainment. 

From what I'm reading, with so many content providers (Disney, CBS, etc, etc) launching their own streaming services, I'm not sure how much Netflix will be able to license going forward.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Would Thai Netflix English content programes/movies be in English ?

I would have thought that it would give the option of Thai subtitles and voice over while still available in English. 

Same as us with foreign shows,you can choose English subtitles or voice over. 

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

I am the same. I never buy or subscribe to anything. Too limited for me here or in Thailand. If I want to see it, I download it. As you mentioned, Thailand's overall internet speed is faster than it was 5 years ago which makes downloading so much easier. There are still plenty of us dinosaurs out there. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, galenkia said:

I would have thought that it would give the option of Thai subtitles and voice over while still available in English. 

Same as us with foreign shows,you can choose English subtitles or voice over. 

Yes its in English. 

As for the content, I haven't noticed a major difference between Netflix here in NL and in Thailand, at least as far as the big series and movies goes. Of course local content will be different. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Esco said:

Yes its in English. 

As for the content, I haven't noticed a major difference between Netflix here in NL and in Thailand, at least as far as the big series and movies goes. Of course local content will be different. 

TBH, you have to sort between a lot of shit and average serie B movies to find interesting content.

But still better than HBO which is 95% shiite ....

• Thumbs Up 1