Emirates - Free global cover for COVID-19

Bazle

Travel with peace of mind

As borders begin to open around the world, you can take-off to your next destination with confidence. We’re the first airline to provide free cover for your health and quarantine costs if you’re diagnosed with COVID-19 on your travels. We’re keeping you safe on the journey and giving you extra security wherever you are in the world.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

We all think this Emirates COVID-19 "FREE" insurance is a great thing, right? What's that old saying about "if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is!"

Lets just say, that Thailand is fully open to tourists. If you want to fly on Emirates, or even Etihad to get to Bangkok, you will need from 1st August to have your COVID free test already completed in your own country, no later than 96 hours before departure!!! ALL transit passengers (irregardless of where you are actually flying to or from) now travelling through the U.A.E have to have this done at a state approved lab! Even if you are not actually deplaning in Dubai!

So, now you have your 2 weeks in the sun in Thailand, you now need AGAIN to have your test retaken in Thailand no later than 96 hours before departure! Your current holiday price has now just increased by another £400 per person! 

Still think that free Emirates insurance is great? Its a win-win situation for Emirates, as the chances of you actually needing it are practically zero! But with this great bit of advertising, they have just sold a shit load more seats on an otherwise empty jet!

• Great Info 1

This is useful to know, although, if travelling TO Thailand, the Covid test probably would be necessary in any event.

I think you are saying that a passenger transiting through UAE needs a Covid-19 certificate before undertaking the journey. So we have two journeys for a vacation visit to LOS. Are you saying that a Covid test costs, on average, £200? 

A quick Google search has come up with a price of £165 in London (https://walkin-clinic.co.uk/blood-tests/covid19-testing), and I would expect a substantially smaller amount in Patts.  Even BPH, quite likely the most expensive place, is quoting only c£163 (THB 6,500 - https://www.bangkokpattayahospital.com/en/hospital-news-en/packages-promotions-en/item/2740-covid19-screening-test-en.html).

5 minutes ago, Bazle said:

This is useful to know, although, if travelling TO Thailand, the Covid test probably would be necessary in any event.

I think you are saying that a passenger transiting through UAE needs a Covid-19 certificate before undertaking the journey. So we have two journeys for a vacation visit to LOS. Are you saying that a Covid test costs, on average, £200? 

A quick Google search has come up with a price of £165 in London (https://walkin-clinic.co.uk/blood-tests/covid19-testing), and I would expect a substantially smaller amount in Patts.  Even BPH, quite likely the most expensive place, is quoting only c£163 (THB 6,500 - https://www.bangkokpattayahospital.com/en/hospital-news-en/packages-promotions-en/item/2740-covid19-screening-test-en.html).

I just mentioned the price to highlight the fact your holiday is now going to cost a lot more money. I didnt google the costs!

The good thing about the test requirement is there is no approved lab in Thailand yet, so you must find your own.  I'm sure anyone could find one where it costs around 200 baht and the "results" are available immediately.  🙂

On 7/28/2020 at 3:44 AM, Jambo said:

About as likely as winning the lottery.

Spot on. With what is happening in vietnam, along with the jitters the UK are getting about a second wave, Thailand will remain closed to visitors at least until next year at an estimate.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Butch said:

Spot on. With what is happening in vietnam, along with the jitters the UK are getting about a second wave, Thailand will remain closed to visitors at least until next year at an estimate.

I had a WhatsApp video link with my two Daughters and grandaughter Jade enjoying their lunch somewhere outside in the Edinburgh sunshine a few days ago.

They phoned me to advise that they had finally given up hoping that they would be flying over to visit me in September and that they had rearranged their flights once again but for next Easter which they had been able to do with KLM without surcharge for the third time. 

We all agreed that was the right thing to do but I just hope Thailand is open for business by then.

• Thumbs Up 1