What's the most impressive

dcfc2007

Bangkok has obviously some great temples but my preference is Wat Phra That Doi Suthep outside Chiang Mai and a small but lovely temple atop the mountainside near Ubolratana dam north west of Khon Kaen. Commonly known as Buddhas footprint it has spectacular views over the waters of the dam.

Edited by Horizondave
  • Thumbs Up 2

20 minutes ago, RimmerMan said:

Mine is the Wat Kitthi Sankaram temple (Wat Kata).

It is better known as Big Buddha in Phuket.

Lovely views from this location.

Can't believe I forgot about Wat Kitthi Sangkharam. I have never seen it completely finished.  I was there on Asanha Bucha Day in 2008 when the statue was just about done and had a wonderful time. 

Big B.jpg

screenshot of a video I took that day

• Like 1

As mentioned, Doi Suthep is magic, the views are phenomenal, as is the way up.

Only bad point is the hoards of Chinese packing the place out.

Still want to see the white temple in Chiang Rai. Was meant to go in June, but alas ....

Wat Saket (The Golden Mount).

I took a canal boat down to the temple. It was a nice experience, and it was interesting to see the old canal boats still make up such a vital part of Bangkok's transport infrastructure, they are lifeline for the less well off Thais. 

The temple is sat on top of an artificial hill and has great views of the city. The climb up to the top is beautifully decorated, really enjoyable trip.

The best thing about it was that it wasn't thronged with chinese hordes, other than a couple of farang and a few thai students, the place was empty.

wat-saket-bangkok-l.jpg

• Like 1

So many visited over the years........so hard to choose just one.

Ones that spring to mind: BKK - Wat Arun and Wat Pho though both very touristy. Also Wat Saket (the Golden Mount) and the Marble Temple (Wat Benchamabophit).

Chaing Mai - Doi Suthep of course and, within the city moat my favourite is Wat Phra Singh. Outside Chiang Mai at the foot of Doi Pui mountain is Wat Umong. This is a very peaceful place lying in the forest.

Chiang Rai - Undoubtedly Wat Prah Kaew. I must have been here at least 5 times. Just outside the city is the White Temple Wat Rong Kuhn. It does get very crowded but it is worth the effort to see it.

I have visited others in Lamphun and Issan but would have to go through thousands of photos to recall names and details. 

15 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

I hate to say it but I don't think I have knowingly visited one 

Yea .. me either ..

I go to a local temple down in the deep South close to where I live Tuesday and Thursday nights ..... Only to play basketball ... ( they have a super nice court and they keep the lights on until 10 pm )

A couple others for funerals ..

Visiting temples have never been very high on my list of " have fun priorities " ...

Zero interest in temples. Whatever the country. Think I visited ONE in my 10y in BKK. And one here in Bali when my daugther visited. Note that the Miss didn't even bother to go with us.... Not her thing.

But have visited a few churches and cathedrals in France. Simply because it's my culture.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, monkey_omelette said:

One i would like to visit and surprisingly you don't hear too much about is the largest temple in the world. Wat Phra Dhammakaya near Don Muang.

I don't think the Thais are to enamoured with this place. Why? I'm not sure as the tw was eating when I asked!