Just a quick question

Nightcrawler

Maybe someone can give an explanation

Why are underpants classified as a pair of underpants when in fact there is only one item.

It's not like I can go into a clothes store and ask for a single underpant, even if I only had one leg or half a body.

What the f**k is that all about ?

Google is your friend 😜

""the word pants is a plurale tantum. The Oxford English Dictionary defines plurale tantum, which is Latin for “plural only,” as a “noun which is used only in plural form, or which is used only in plural form in a particular sense or senses.” Bifurcated items (things that can be divided into two), such as pants, fall into this category. Think of items that are usually referred to in plural—often preceded by “pair of” or something similar, even when there is only one item: pliers, glasses, scissors, sunglasses, tweezers, etc. So, pants is a type of noun that is used only in its plural form, even when there is only one item being discussed."

• Great Info 1

44 minutes ago, Butch said:

Especially around the area of the anus, often deliberately cut out by the owner.

Are you speaking from experience?😃 

Surely, if one was that way inclined, they could simply wear them back to front?

Whilst it is fashionable for people to wear ripped jeans these days, I did question the gaping whole in the seat of your pants whilst wandering around Boystown. I am sure there was an innocent explanation for this 😆😆

• Haha 2

On 7/27/2020 at 12:22 AM, Nightcrawler said:

Are you speaking from experience?😃 

Surely, if one was that way inclined, they could simply wear them back to front?

Whilst it is fashionable for people to wear ripped jeans these days, I did question the gaping whole in the seat of your pants whilst wandering around Boystown. I am sure there was an innocent explanation for this 😆😆

ken.jpg

• Haha 1

My neighbour called the police to complain about me during the recent heatwave just because I was walking about the garden wearing only a pair of underpants!  I got charged even though I argued with the nice constable that I thought they made a lovely hat.

• Haha 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2020 at 10:12 PM, Nightcrawler said:

Maybe someone can give an explanation

Why are underpants classified as a pair of underpants when in fact there is only one item.

It's not like I can go into a clothes store and ask for a single underpant, even if I only had one leg or half a body.

What the f**k is that all about ?

Why do people in some parts of the world call bicycles push bikes when they're really ridden? Another one of the world's unexplained questions 🙂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Yesitisdakid said:

Why do people in some parts of the world call bicycles push bikes when they're really ridden? Another one of the world's unexplained questions 🙂

is it because it is written as one word"pushbike" it is to do with the pedal action?

regards

grayray

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yesitisdakid said:

Why do people in some parts of the world call bicycles push bikes when they're really ridden? 

A British / Aussie expression ? You push the pedals to make it go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1