Just when you think things can't get any worse.

Aqualung

Some of you will know and some of you will not but my 31 year old neice is a hardened drug addict, theif and worse. 

I'm going to do this via bullet points as I'm too stressed, too tired and too pissed off to do it any other way so please bare with me. 

I'm in Sweden at the moment visiting my TW as I've not seen her since February. Lock down and all that goes with it. 

My mother passed away at the end of April and up until July 14th I was staring at 4 walls and going stir crazy at home all the time so I jumped at the chance to go to Sweden when flights became available. 

In the meantime, my neice the drug addict was asked to leave our home because of her behaviour regarding drugs, theft of mine and my mother's property and attempted fraud (she found my mother's cheque book and tried to write a cheque to herself for £5000)

She duly left in early March. 

As I've mentioned my mother passed away April 30 th. 

According to my neice the funeral was shit. I apparently kept my mum upstairs without a TV until she died and the care I arranged wasn't good enough. 

My neice now isn't happy at what my mother left her in her will. Although she will receive the same as the other 2 grandchildren. 

So I'm here in Sweden right now and this morning I received a call from the lady who kindly took on the task of keeping my house clean plus collecting any mail I received. 

My neice found a way into the house and the police aren't interested in getting her out. I think before my neice left in March, she hid the patio door keys in the back garden somewhere and used them to gain entry. 

What a feckin nightmare 

I'm having to try and find flights from Sweden to Manchester not knowing if I can get into my own property when I get there. 

Drug addict will no doubt be racking up the gas and electric bills, going through all my mail etc etc until I manage to get back home. 

Then the fun starts legally I guess. 

I hope none of you bms experience the same as me. Getting over losing my mother is bad enough but having to cope with a dirty little crack head who seems hell bent on making my life a misery is too much. 

Any advice would be much welcome. 

Thanks 

Aqualung. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 7:07 AM, Aqualung said:

Some of you will know and some of you will not but my 31 year old neice is a hardened drug addict, theif and worse. 

I'm going to do this via bullet points as I'm too stressed, too tired and too pissed off to do it any other way so please bare with me. 

I'm in Sweden at the moment visiting my TW as I've not seen her since February. Lock down and all that goes with it. 

My mother passed away at the end of April and up until July 14th I was staring at 4 walls and going stir crazy at home all the time so I jumped at the chance to go to Sweden when flights became available. 

In the meantime, my neice the drug addict was asked to leave our home because of her behaviour regarding drugs, theft of mine and my mother's property and attempted fraud (she found my mother's cheque book and tried to write a cheque to herself for £5000)

According to my neice the funeral was shit. I apparently kept my mum upstairs without a TV until she died and the care I arranged wasn't good enough. 

My neice now isn't happy at what my mother left her in her will. Although she will receive the same as the other 2 grandchildren. 

So I'm here in Sweden right now and this morning I received a call from the lady who kindly took on the task of keeping my house clean plus collecting any mail I received. 

My neice found a way into the house and the police aren't interested in getting her out. I think before my neice left in March, she hid the patio door keys in the back garden somewhere and used them to gain entry. 

What a feckin nightmare 

I'm having to try and find flights from Sweden to Manchester not knowing if I can get into my own property when I get there. 

Drug addict will no doubt be racking up the gas and electric bills, going through all my mail etc etc until I manage to get back home. 

I hope none of you bms experience the same as me. Getting over losing my mother is bad enough but having to cope with a dirty little crack head who seems hell bent on making my life a misery is too much. 

Thanks 

Aqualung. 

sorry for your loss,

your neice needs a big slap.

one way to make it hard for her is for you to sell up,i know that would be hard,that you have to sell the family home,but if it's gone,

no more worry about what happens when you you are away from the house.

is it a home? now that your old mum has gone.

regards

grayray

Edited by grayray
  • Like 1

Here in the States we have what is called a "restraining or protective order" which includes a stay away provision. The order enforces by law the problem individual  to stay at least a certain number of yards or feet away from the defendant's home,  job or car (usually 300 feet). 

Isn't she technically violating the law by breaking and entering/trespassing into the home? 

Don't know how it works in your country, but I would play hardball and charge her with breaking and entering/trespassing. Then I would go the extra mile and get the restraining order. This might be a deterrent for her to try and pull this stunt again.  

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, grayray said:

sorry for your loss,

your neice needs a big slap.

one way to make it hard for her is for you to sell up,i know that would be hard,that you have to sell the family home,but if it's gone,

no more worry about what happens when you you are away from the house.

is it a home now? that your old mum has gone.

regards

grayray

It's looking that way grayray. I've been told by my closest friends that I'll never be rid of her until I sell the house. I know it's only bricks and mortar but that place has massive sentimental value to me plus the fact that it should only grow in value. 

My immediate problem when I return to the UK is getting the little twat out of my house. My late mothers estate is going through the legal system at present and I cannot prove ownership of the house until probate is settled. 

So, in essence, I could be dealing with a squatters situation which could cost me thousands legally. 

My only chance is to get back to the UK, get her out of the property and have all the locks changed. Any attempt to gain entry again by her will be by breaking in... So hopefully the wonderful British police force will arrest her if she's caught. 

I don't hold my breath though. They will probably supply her with cable TV and a month's supply of crack. Cnuts. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Steelers4Life said:

Here in the States we have what is called a "restraining or protective order" which includes a stay away provision. The order enforces by law the problem individual  to stay at least a certain number of yards or feet away from the defendant's home,  job or car (usually 300 feet). 

Isn't she technically violating the law by breaking and entering/trespassing into the home? 

Don't know how it works in your country, but I would play hardball and charge her with breaking and entering/trespassing. Then I would go the extra mile and get the restraining order. This might be a deterrent for her to try and pull this stunt again.  

Hello steelers, 

Week beginning July 6th I had my life threatened by her so it was reported to the police. They came to visit me and told me not to accept any phone calls from her. They also told me that if she visited the property to dial 999 so they could remove her. 

Furthermore they advised me to apply for an injunction prohibiting her from contacting me or visiting the house. In that case they could arrest her for breaching the injunction. 

However, I had the chance to fly to Sweden and didn't persue it as I was already stressed out with her. I thought being away from home would bring me some peace and quiet. 

How wrong I was. 

Tfp mate. 

• Like 2

you really need a alwyer UT, I believe from past experience that IF someone is NOT living at a residence whioch is someones home, (ie not a vacant property) and uses a key whichisnt theirs, its no different to a brick thru the window.  its breaking and entry and doesnt give squatters rights.

me I would be telling her i was filing charges of theft for the 5K and the rest and/or quietly paying someone else to remove her

what a terrible situation to be in, wishing you all the best

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Aqualung said:

Hello steelers, 

Week beginning July 6th I had my life threatened by her so it was reported to the police. They came to visit me and told me not to accept any phone calls from her. They also told me that if she visited the property to dial 999 so they could remove her. 

Furthermore they advised me to apply for an injunction prohibiting her from contacting me or visiting the house. In that case they could arrest her for breaching the injunction. 

However, I had the chance to fly to Sweden and didn't persue it as I was already stressed out with her. I thought being away from home would bring me some peace and quiet. 

How wrong I was. 

Tfp mate. 

Sounds like you already have measures in place and all you need is to follow thru. I can understand the stress and it's a shame she decided to pull this shit while you were trying to enjoy some R & R. Hope you get it sorted so you can be rid of this nuisance. 

2 hours ago, Aqualung said:

What a feckin nightmare 

Thanks 

Aqualung. 

You definitely need to play hardball. It was a risk leaving for Sweden without having something formal in place before you left.

The police are used to dealing with stuff like this and the fact you've already reported stuff will stand you in good stead. As @tommy dee said, get in touch with your lawyer pronto, before you come back.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tommy dee said:

you really need a alwyer UT, I believe from past experience that IF someone is NOT living at a residence whioch is someones home, (ie not a vacant property) and uses a key whichisnt theirs, its no different to a brick thru the window.  its breaking and entry and doesnt give squatters rights.

me I would be telling her i was filing charges of theft for the 5K and the rest and/or quietly paying someone else to remove her

what a terrible situation to be in, wishing you all the best

Tommy it entered my head to get her out forcibly. That's the easy way out but unfortunately the wrong way as I don't want to end up in trouble myself. 

As of now I'm sat in Sweden half pissed and stressed to the hilt. I'll need to calm myself down, get home and do things the legal way ie.... Getting into my home and having the locks changed. 

This drug addict neice of mine is wanted by lots of shopkeepers for stealing stuff... But guess what, police aren't interested if the theft was less than £250.

Its feckin wrong. Seems she has licence to do what she wants when she wants. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Britboy said:

You definitely need to play hardball. It was a risk leaving for Sweden without having something formal in place before you left.

The police are used to dealing with stuff like this and the fact you've already reported stuff will stand you in good stead. As @tommy dee said, get in touch with your lawyer pronto, before you come back.

I'm on to it mate. 

First thing tomorrow my solicitor who is dealing with my mums estate will be contacted. Tbh she's dragging her feet getting what should be a simple estate sorted out. And I'm paying for it. 

Proof of ownership is all I need and pronto. 10 weeks now and my solicitor has not been in touch. I know covid has not helped but jesus how long does it take? 

23 minutes ago, Aqualung said:

Hello steelers, 

Get an emergency injunction against her. They say things like "must not approach within 400 yards of ...both yourself and your property." She breaches it gets arrested ......... (Just edited this probate saw your post above)  takes longer than you think. They have to contact everyone named in the will etc .........

A 31 year old junkie is seriously bad news.  That is step one and then wait for probate. Then change all your locks and make sure your injunction is up to date.

She'll find someone else to threaten, burgle and harass.  Stay strong mate you'll get through it.

Edited by nampla69
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'm on to it mate. 

First thing tomorrow my solicitor who is dealing with my mums estate will be contacted. Tbh she's dragging her feet getting what should be a simple estate sorted out. And I'm paying for it. 

Proof of ownership is all I need and pronto. 10 weeks now and my solicitor has not been in touch. I know covid has not helped but jesus how long does it take? 

Solicitors have a habit of dragging their feet. The biggest issue with Probate is if the estate is close to, or over, the inheritance tax threshold (£325k). As you're aware, my mum passed away on April 5th. The Solicitor wanted £750 plus VAT to handle the Probate. I told her where to get off and did it myself. I got Probate granted within a week, though my mum's estate was a fair bit under £325k, so I guess with so many Probate applications going in due to Covid deaths they approved it straight away.

Give your Solicitor a major bollocking mate and tell her to pull their f*****g finger out.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, nampla69 said:

Get an emergency injunction against her. They say things like "must not approach within 400 yards of ...both yourself and your property." She breaches it gets arrested .........

A 31 year old junkie is seriously bad news.  That is step one and then wait for probate. Then change all your locks and make sure your injunction is up to date.

She'll find someone else to threaten, burgle and harass.  Stay strong mate you'll get through it.

I'm contacting my solicitor in the morning namps. Not sure applying applying for an injunction whilst said drug addict is lauding it up I'm my house will work. 

Thanks anyway Tfp. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Britboy said:

Solicitors have a habit of dragging their feet. The biggest issue with Probate is if the estate is close to, or over, the inheritance tax threshold (£325k). As you're aware, my mum passed away on April 5th. The Solicitor wanted £750 plus VAT to handle the Probate. I told her where to get off and did it myself. I got Probate granted within a week, though my mum's estate was a fair bit under £325k, so I guess with so many Probate applications going in due to Covid deaths they approved it straight away.

Give your Solicitor a major bollocking mate and tell her to pull their f*****g finger out.

My mums estate is below the threshold Dave. Only a few credit card debts to sort out plus the other obvious stuff. 

It should be simple..... But I'm afraid Rebecca the solicitor is in for a bit of a tongue lashing tomorrow. Its not as if shes doing me a favour, I'm feckin paying for her services. 

My mums estate is below the threshold Dave. Only a few credit card debts to sort out plus the other obvious stuff. 

It should be simple..... But I'm afraid Rebecca the solicitor is in for a bit of a tongue lashing tomorrow. Its not as if shes doing me a favour, I'm feckin paying for her services. 

The Solicitor has no excuse then mate. Ask her to show you what date she actually applied for Probate - they would have emailed her notification of receipt, which they did with me. I got an email within 10 minutes of confirmation of receipt telling me it was approved and next day got the certificates through the post. Use me as an example if you wish - happy to forward you on the emails too if you want to shove it in her face . . .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Britboy said:

Aqualung - just send me and @nampla69 a PM with the address and we'll go sort your niece out . . . 😉

Lol 

Cheers for that but I think she'll kick the shit out of you both... I've never know a fearless little shit like her. Needs jailing. 

Plus, you might nick my collection of Galenkia 's thai exploitation cds. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Britboy said:

The Solicitor has no excuse then mate. Ask her to show you what date she actually applied for Probate - they would have emailed her notification of receipt, which they did with me. I got an email within 10 minutes of confirmation of receipt telling me it was approved and next day got the certificates through the post. Use me as an example if you wish - happy to forward you on the emails too if you want to shove it in her face . . .

Mate... Thanks a lot for that. I'm sure it will be of good use to me. I'll pm you. 

• Thumbs Up 1

You've had enough good advice on here I can't better that..

In my experience you can't pussy foot around with a dirty smack head you need to frighten her to death wether you like it or not or get someone else to..

If there is no one around who is to know? Who are the police going to believe a two bit rat or you?

Good luck and toughen up big time mate.

i've known two good mates get like that one died in his 20s and the other is living on the streets as we speak they went from brilliant lads to evil little rats it's a shame , but no sympathy from me and they ran out of sympathy from everyone.

Edited by roomark
  • Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

did your nice ever have access to your personal financial and specialy banking information i.e. account numbers, credit card details etc. if yes, close your accounts and reopen them with other numbers informing the bank about possible fraud. same applies for credit cards. and as you mentioned new massive locks on doors and locks inside the house for the windows. remove for your house all things which have sentimental value for you. good luck to you

• Like 2

Aqualung, so sorry to hear of your predicament. Having to cope with the emotional toll already with your mother passing is enough. Throw in the stay at home mandate for the virus which can be a real mental challenge to overcome considering what had recently happened, and then this horrible situation with your niece and her drug problem,  I feel empty in knowing that I can't offer you anything except support through the board and that you find a way to get through it.

A lot of solid advice has been given and I hope that you're able to possibly make use of some of it to help you out of a very tough spot.

Please keep us updated. Were here for you, mate.

• Like 1

Dope fiends ( Junkies )  rarely ever get back on the straight and narrow -- at least the many I grew up around .... even with a good dose of jail .... they have a one track mind!

Sorry Bro you gotta go through this shit ....

But stand your ground and do whatever you think is the right thing to do ... none of us really know the shit you are going through .. just stand your ground ....

• Great Info 1

15 hours ago, roomark said:

You've had enough good advice on here I can't better that..

In my experience you can't pussy foot around with a dirty smack head you need to frighten her to death wether you like it or not or get someone else to..

If there is no one around who is to know? Who are the police going to believe a two bit rat or you?

Good luck and toughen up big time mate.

i've known two good mates get like that one died in his 20s and the other is living on the streets as we speak they went from brilliant lads to evil little rats it's a shame , but no sympathy from me and they ran out of sympathy from everyone.

Hi Roo. 

I've helped her loads of times because I'm a soft git. But enough is enough. 

I have had to cut my visit to Sweden short by 16 days just to get back to try and sort this shit out. 

My biggest worry though is that the police will not be interested as they have already told me its a civil case and not a criminal one (even though my neice used stolen keys to gain entry to the house) 

My only hope is to get into the house by however means. Hopefully she will be out and I can get the lock's changed. Other than that it will be a confrontation and if things get daft ill have no choice but to call plod. 

Hopefully they will remove her. 

I'll update when I can. 

• Thanks 1