Jump to content

Death Railway - Train drivers view.


Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, Krapow said:

Been on the one that goes to the Myanmar Border, they give you a nice packed lunch and everything!

Which one goes to the Myanmar border?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, andycoll said:

Which one goes to the Myanmar border?

None i think.

The Death Railway Siam - Burma line, which now adays are a branch of the Thai Southern Line ends in Nam Tok. The tracks between Nam Tok and 3 Pagoda Border has not been in use since WWII - Also a large portion of the line is under water today because of a dam that was build in the 80s. 

The Northern line ends in Chiang Mai and go no further north.

2 branches of the Southern line crosses into Malaysia and a branch of the Eastern Line will cross the Cambodia border at Aranyaprathet/Poipet in the future.

  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, andycoll said:

Which one goes to the Myanmar border?

 

3 hours ago, Lirchenfeld said:

None i think.

The Death Railway Siam - Burma line, which now adays are a branch of the Thai Southern Line ends in Nam Tok. The tracks between Nam Tok and 3 Pagoda Border has not been in use since WWII - Also a large portion of the line is under water today because of a dam that was build in the 80s. 

The Northern line ends in Chiang Mai and go no further north.

2 branches of the Southern line crosses into Malaysia and a branch of the Eastern Line will cross the Cambodia border at Aranyaprathet/Poipet in the future.

Was from Kanchanaburi, i thought it went near the border.

Maybe not, have to ask the missus later.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Krapow said:

 

Was from Kanchanaburi, i thought it went near the border.

Maybe not, have to ask the missus later.

Then it is Nam Tok. The distance to Burma is small, 25 km in birds flight to the west, but it is no where near where the railroad crossed the border at Three Pagoda, which is 150 km to the north.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Lirchenfeld said:

Then it is Nam Tok. The distance to Burma is small, 25 km in birds flight to the west, but it is no where near where the railroad crossed the border at Three Pagoda, which is 150 km to the north.

Yes, done the trip to Nam Tok, that is the end of the line but I did have lunch there while waiting for the minivan to take us on to our resort on the river.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the clarification fellas. I've been to Nam Tok, Hellfire Pass, and had this year been different I was going to visit Thanbyuzayat in Myanmar on November 11. Maybe next year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...