Under 300 Baht ... And Good

Evil Penevil

1 hour ago, Skalliwag said:

Stayed a few nights,front room above golf club and let me tell you that the Billabong might not have been busy if the afternoon,but Jesus was it loud and packed at 3am.

That fucking band needs to learn some new songs.🤦‍♂️

Yes, it gets jammed by about 9.30 p.m. 

ir6.JPG

I agree about the music.  It's deafening, even sitting across the street at Kilkenny or outside at Jibby's.  But the jet-takeoff decibel level doesn't deter the customers who are mostly plain vanilla older guys.

Evil

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Evil Penevil said:

Yes, it gets jammed by about 9.30 p.m. 

ir6.JPG

I agree about the music.  It's deafening, even sitting across the street at Kilkenny or outside at Jibby's.  But the jet-takeoff decibel level doesn't deter the customers who are mostly plain vanilla older guys.

Evil

It’s downright terrible.

Was  never that bad when Greg owned it,and they never had a band every night.

This crew play the same set...twice..every night.Awful.

I arrived at 2.40am,put my stuff in the room and went down for a quick pint before trying to get some sleep.

There were a couple of cute girls FLing out of there.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Skalliwag said:

It’s downright terrible.

I arrived at 2.40am,put my stuff in the room and went down for a quick pint before trying to get some sleep.

Band aren't the best. Bad enough sitting through  a couple of beers worth- staying opposite must a form of water torture.

4 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

Band aren't the best. Bad enough sitting through  a couple of beers worth- staying opposite must a form of water torture.

I only had three nights there,then Page 10 opened up.

First night didn’t really count.Second night I went to bed after the band finished....third night was absolutely torturous.

39 minutes ago, Skalliwag said:

I only had three nights there,then Page 10 opened up.

First night didn’t really count.Second night I went to bed after the band finished....third night was absolutely torturous.

Sorry, but I cant understand how you guys can choice places like this to stay on your holiday ? 

I mean, it's well know that the whole area is very noisy .

And yes, I like live music but not when at deafening level and sure not to sleep above the place !

10 hours ago, Skalliwag said:

It’s downright terrible.

I make sure to have a few there before the band starts playing. The guitarist is the only thing that's good about that band. The singer is horrendous and the drummer is awful. I was there one night last year and the guitarist came out alone. He had his guitar rigged up with Carlos Santana type sound. He played solo for about 30 minutes and it was relaxing and at a nice volume level. Wish he would always be alone there. I would stay a little longer. But when the whole band starts playing, I am practically running to either the Rockhouse or Metro Bar to escape their god awful noise.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Skalliwag said:

It’s downright terrible.

I'm at Billabong in the evening a couple of times each week, but always leave before the band starts up. Not so much because of the volume, but because as you posted the playlist is too repetitive.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 year later...

Since I'm not in Pattaya, I can't contribute any on-site reports about good farang food under 300 baht.  However, inspired by a thread on the best breakfast deals in town, I decided to highlight some of the under-300 dishes at Nicky's Bar and Restaurant on Soi Buakhao and the Robin Hood Tavern in The Avenue shopping plaza.

There's plenty of good stuff under 300 baht at Nicky's:

nickymenusmall.png

Daily and weekly specials are even cheaper:

nicky's text.JPG

nickyfc.jpg

nickyfc2.jpg

nickystext2.JPG

hunters.jpg

gammon steak.jpg

sausageroll.jpg

sandwich.jpg

nicky's7.jpg

Edited by Evil Penevil

• 11 months later...

I'm kicking this thread alive again. There's always a need for information about inexpensive restaurants which serve good food. I'm trapped in the U.S. due to Covid, so I can't offer dining experiences more recent than two years ago, but I can help out by posting menus and info on specials from restaurants' Facebook pages and Web sites. I would advise everyone to check the restaurants' social media sites to be sure the information below is still accurate.  Things change fast in these strange times!

I'll start with the LK Metro area.  The Rockhouse has a new menu. Whenever I ate there, the food was good and value for money.

rockhouse.png

I never had a bad meal at Kilkenny. I found the Sunday lamb roast and the weekly porkchop special very tasty and excellent value for money. Kilkenny was one of my "go-to" restaurants while living in Pattaya. I'm posting a list of their most recent specials.  As I recall, it's the same daily special(s) every week, but check Kilkenny's Facebook page to be sure.

killogo.png     kilA.png

Kilc.png

KilB.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The Robin's Nest is under new management and has become The Nest.  It also offers daily specials.

nest.png

nest2.png

nest3.png

nest4.png

nest5.png

Nestspecial.png

Harry's is another dependable restaurant in the LK Metro area.  It offers Swedish and international dishes at reasonable prices.

harryslogo.png

harrys.PNG

harrys2.PNG

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I occasionally ate at the Chill Inn back in 2019 and even mentioned it in this thread.   It was OK and value for money at the lower end of what I consider to be good.  However, things appear to have changed for the better  (possibly due to a change in ownership or at least a different cook?).  I don't recall seeing Serbian dishes on the menu in 2019, but I could have just missed them.

Chill Inn is located on Soi Bukhao between LK Metro and Pattaya Klang. It's a stone's throw from the Bukhao night market and nearly on a straight line from Central Festival.

IMG_.jpg

From what I've read elsewhere, it has a number of good dishes at very low prices.  Western main dishes go as low as 99 baht and Thai food is even cheaper.

IMG_0080.jpg

I'm posting parts of the menu from the Chill Inn's Website.  You can see the full menu here.

Chill.PNGChill2.PNGChill4.PNGChill5.PNGChill6.PNG

Edited  by Evil Penevil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

This week's specials at Cheap Charlie's, taken from its Facebook page. Very low prices on the specials and only 99 baht with Cheap Charlie's Reward Card.

I stopped using CCs a few years ago.

They put the specials sign out early morning ...but it doesn't mean that they will serve it to you!... I have tried going in there at various times of the morning including just after 12.. but was told "too early"..."chef too busy" ... "why you not want breakfast" They just fell short of saying "f**k off you old c**t"...Although I'm sure that's what they were thinking!

I once ordered the stew as takeaway, when I got home I opened it up and it was the size of a 20baht "tung"...with no fucking bread roll!!!

And I've just remembered sitting next to a bloke digging into a daily special but I was told "f**k off, he is young and handsome. Old fuckers like you have to have a breakfast!" ....Or words to that effect..

EDIT = I wonder if there is any correlation between this post and my post indicating that my water bill is normally less than 20 Baht...

Never again.

Edited by Derek Dangleberries

I saw the Wombat & Kiwi Bar (corner of Soi 9, Jomtien Beach Road) mentioned on another board, so I went to their Facebook page.  The prices are very low:

Wombat.jpg

This is their Monday special:

They also have "all-you-can-eat" specials for 99 baht!  I don't like to link directly to Facebook, but it's easy to find the details for anyone who's interested.  They also have a Sunday roast for 99 or 150 baht.

Untitled-1.jpg

Since I've been in the U.S. for the past 30 months, I can't vouch for the quality of the food.  But at least one "boots-on-ground" reviewer whose judgment I trust says it's good and definitely value for money.

Evil

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Queen Victoria Inn is a venerable and popular restaurant and guest house that's been serving visitors to Pattaya for more than two decades.  I always found it a reliable and inexpensive place to have a meal or an ale while taking a break from the bustle of Soi 6.

My standard disclaimer:  I haven't been in Pattaya since late January 2020, so I can't know what's happened ass Pattaya emerges from the Covid restrictions.  I'm posted the Queen Vic menu for informative purposes.  Those with boots on the ground will have to write the reviews.

The queen Vic has plenty of specials and ordinary menu items under 300 baht.  It also has three weekly all-you-can-eat buffets, but the curry and U.K.-style Chinese buffets are 325 baht and the Sunday carvery is 370 baht.  You can find more info on the buffets on the Queen Vic Web site.

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

The QV Facebook page says they have begun offering Philly cheesesteaks, but I couldn't see any details regarding price.

11.jpg

The Nordic breakfast (scrambled eggs and smoked salmon) at 180 baht was a favorite of mine.

7.jpg

12.JPG

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Mr. Moo to reopen at a new location in Rompho.

I initially posted this in the "Pic of your breakfast-dinner" thread, as I did not see a general restaurants thread. Given that this place meets the baht limit, I am placing a cross link here.

21 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

Mr. Moo to reopen at a new location in Rompho.

I initially posted this in the "Pic of your breakfast-dinner" thread, as I did not see a general restaurants thread. Given that this place meets the baht limit, I am placing a cross link here.

Ok - I screwed up the directions for Mr Moo. It is actually on the first street South of the Rompho entrance. Go about 100 meters and you will see the familiar Mr Moo sign next to the Chang Bar.

In my defense the directions were initially described to me in Thaiglish.

1 hour ago, ChiFlyer said:

Ok - I screwed up the directions for Mr Moo. It is actually on the first street South of the Rompho entrance. Go about 100 meters and you will see the familiar Mr Moo sign next to the Chang Bar.

In my defense the directions were initially described to me in Thaiglish.

A few of us went to Mr. Moo's tonight.

The menu indeed is similar to the old soi 7 location. There are a few items, such as the Roast Chicken, that are absent at this time. The Thai section of the menu is very deep. The place is about 1/3rd the size of the old soi 7 location. They are obviously still getting things in place. The food was decent given the price. Mr Moo did visit the tables. He has dropped some weight.

The arrival of your dish compared to the rest of the table is still an adventure. TiT.

• Thumbs Up 1

Jomtien: Bor Bua Klangjai

We went to a Thai restaurant that was new to me for lunch today. The TGF's sister wanted to get a few of us together.

It is in Jomtien off of Sukhumvit. If you are heading North from Boon Kachana it will be on the left side of the street about 1 km before Makro. Look for a pink sign and it is about 1/2 km on a side road off of Sukhumvit. It does show on Google Maps and I would advise using Ms Google.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/BOR.+BUA+KLANGJAI/@12.8942592,100.8966731,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xf594329f32bc52bd!8m2!3d12.8942585!4d100.8966731

To describe the place in one word would be pleasant. There are a number of small huts where you can sit with some friends and look over the really nice landscaping.

Some pics:

The huts

IMG_3765.jpg

The landscapping

IMG_3763.jpg

The main menu

IMG_3761(1).jpg

Some other reviews

https://restaurantguru.com/BOR-BUA-KLANGJAI-Pattaya

As a side note the Gai Krapow had my eyes tearing a little.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

• 1 month later...

Well this is most likely not under 300 THB stuff, but I am unsure as to what a higher cost restaurant thread might be.

I was driving South on Thappraya today and I noticed that the sign in front of the old Bruno's location next to Gian's said "Bruno's Bar and Restaurant". Traffic being what it was, I did not get a chance to read the entire sign, but the signs for the former Chinese place were all gone.

This would be good news from my perspective. Bruno's was possibly the first more upscale restaurant in the Pattaya area IMO. It would be good to see them making a comeback.

What format the reopening might have and when they might reopen -> I have no idea. I did some internet searches and came up with nothing.

I would guess that they might follow the Cafe Blu formula that Cafe des Amis adopted. That would be a less serious place with more moderately priced dishes, but still having the service and ambiance of the original location. Hope springs eternal.