Under 300 Baht ... And Good

Evil Penevil

I had the Robin Hood's Sunday roast tonight. The food at the RH has improved a lot under new management, so I decided try the roast beef dinner, Normally I order chicken or lamb as the roast beef and roast pork have seldom been good in Pattaya.  But since the RH has been on a winning streak, I went all in and had the roast beef.  I wasn't disappointed.

IMG_0061.jpg.048a9e733aed1f151e00885e907c7e1f.jpg

I had the small plate at 199 baht, which was more than enough for me.  There's also a large fixed plate dinner for 299 baht and the "all-you-can-eat" cavery buffet that includes soup and dessert for 395 baht.  Each dinner has a choice of five meats: beef, pork, honey glazed ham, lamb and chicken.

IMG_0065.jpg.9d61960a79f04d2c3f37e33ec2061036.jpg

The fixed-plate meals come with Yorkshire pudding, mashed and roasted potatoes, peas, carrots,  cabbage and a boat of gravy, plus a small portion of stuffing and a bacon-wrapped cocktail sausage.

IMG_0069.jpg.25346d567c7891af0a6978995ef7aaf5.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg.b756c5eeb3a4ea9c18cb76dce75f5040.jpg

The beef was tender and full of flavor.  The Yorkshire pudding was puffy and light,  just as it should be.  The gravy had been made from scratch.  The mashed potatoes were but the roasties were a bit soggy,  possibly from standing in a warming tray.  The carrots had been grilled, which was a nice Touch.  The cabbage had actually been undercooked.  That has to be the first time I've ever encountered a vegetable that hadn't been boiled long enough in a British-style Sunday roast dinner.

IMG_0064.jpg.dce417a29eb1d25de4f059d39fcb4512.jpg

The beef is the star of any Sunday roast and while it didn't exactly shine at RH, it was certainly good. No complaints on my part.

IMG_0074.jpg.5b33ca89e8b7390ec2f596f365f850f3.jpg

The condiment basket included a jar of Coleman's Mustard, which goes very well with roast beef.

I had had a fixed-plate Sunday roast in February when the RH had been under its old management.  That meal had mediocre at best.  No question the Robin Hood Tavern has seen a strong turn around in terms of its food.

Below is a pic from the RH's Facebook page.  The perspective exaggerates the size of the roast and vegetables!

79077562_2690051597889191_3622721295457714176_o.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

IMG_0130.jpg.c7ca1cf18b9f85f93a8fec2330983f6a.jpg

Scottie's Restaurant & Minimart on the ground floor of the Centre Condo has been serving moderately priced farang food for nearly 20 years.  The Centre Condo is located just off Pattaya Tai on Soi 24, about 150 meters west (towards the beach)  from TukCom.

IMG_0123.jpg.ee281a156dde61658beb4fb0ccd26cc4.jpg

I tried one of the weekly specials, the spaghetti bolognese for 169 baht.  It included two slices of garlic bread and a small serving of fresh salad.  A large portion of spaghetti was topped with a generous amount of U.K.-style bolognese sauce.  It was more spaghetti than I usually eat in one sitting when I make it myself at home.

IMG_0124.jpg.95c2c6a4e37165bb0c0b6073278e5543.jpg

The spaghetti was cooked properly; not too soft or hard, but, like Baby Bear's porridge, just right.  The sauce had plenty of ground beef and (hurrah, hurrah) the taste wasn't overwhelmed by tomato paste. What it lacked was oregano and other Italian seasoning.  That seems to be a characteristic of the U.K.-style spaghetti served in  Pattaya.  It's heavy on the ground beef but light on seasoning. There seems to be a fundamental difference between "spag bol" and North American spaghetti with meat sauce,  Both stem from adaptations made by  immigrants to the U.K. or U.S., but the U.S. version tastes more Italian.

The garlic bread was excellent,  toasted nicely and with a good balance between butter and garlic. The salad thankfully came without the ubiquitous Thousand Islands dressing and I ate it with a sprinkling of vinegar. It wasn't a great meal, but certainly a good one for 169 baht and 30 baht for a bottle of water.

IMG_0126.jpg.919a36f7987aa780e2edfdfbe270f459.jpg

The menu at Scottie's otherwise consists of the usual Pattaya array of international comfort food, including pizza and Tex Mex dishes.  Prices are moderate, but not as low as restaurants like the Hungry Hippo and Cheap Charlie's.

IMG_0119.jpg.d35b9e65fd0f2602ec04e3b92b98bb71.jpg

The restaurant was filled with a mixture of bric-a-brac, larger items for sale and Christmas decorations.  Apparently Scottie's holds regular auctions and some (all?) of the items on display might have been destined for the block.

IMG_0120.jpg.189270021f7b48d6498ea639f1dcac59.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg.3dedac2d762760e76732d8845b5bb342.jpg

The cluttered appearance gave Scottie's a homey feel and look, assuming the home belongs to a hoarder.

Bingo is also an attraction at Scottie's, as are regular drawings for prizes.

IMG_0127.jpg.790b977157b0e7a89fdcfa9fea3e8787.jpg

I was given a ticket for the Christmas Day drawing, but since you have to be present as a paying customer to win, I won't be using it.

1287527139_IMG_01321.jpg.b833ed831fcda4a8ea75312456e26f0b.jpg

I had eaten at Scottie's a few times in the past when I lived near TukCom and the meals I had were good. It's not a convenient location for me these days,  but I wouldn't hesitate to go there again.

It's worth mentioning that Scottie's has a low-priced Christmas turkey dinner.

IMG_0115.jpg.10480a4e168251fbf0f92cceabcb5437.jpg

Evil

• Like 2

Meatloaf is an iconic U.S. comfort food that's a lot like the girl in the nursery rhyme who had a curl in the middle of her forehead. When meatloaf is good, it's very, very good, but when it's bad, it's horrid. It's seldom you find good meatloaf in Pattaya, which is doubly unfortunate for me as it's a personal favorite of mine.

A few days ago I had the meatloaf daily special from Tigglebitties for 200 baht. I added a slice of carrot cake for 50 baht so my order would qualify for free delivery. I really enjoy the food from Tigglebitties, but its location on Soi Regional Land is inconvenient for me. Ordering meals via the Web site and delivery has been hassle-free.

1.jpg

This is the link with the full Tigglebitties' menu: Hotmeals2U.com. I should say, "with the full menu every day except Dec. 25." Apparently the only meal you can get delivered today via Hotmeals2U is Christmas dinner for 595 baht, but that's an idea for anyone who can't make it to a restaurant.

Here's what the piping-hot order looked like when it arrived 40 minutes after I placed it.

2.jpg

The special consisted of two slices of meatloaf, mashed potatoes, gravy and the usual array of boiled vegetables.

3.jpg

Everything was fine, especially the meatloaf. In fact, I'll give it my highest accolade: it was as good as my mom used to make.

4.jpg

The sauce had just the right amount of spice bite and tomato tang to make the groound beef mixture pop. The sauce had a complex taste that went far beyond ketchup or tomato paste with a few shakes of tabasco.

5.jpg

Tigglebitties is one of the most consistent restaurants in Pattaya. There's no hit or miss, good one day, bad the next about it; the food is always at the same high level. By way of illustration, this is the meatloaf special I had back in July.

6.jpg

It looks almost the same as my December order; maybe the recent order had more sauce.

7.jpg

And to top the meal off,  real U.S.-style carrot cake with cream cheese icing.

8.jpg

It was a small piece, but it only cost 50 baht. Small pieces are the way to go when it comes to calorie-rich desserts.

10.jpg

The management and staff at Tig's know and U.S. food. Unlike so many Thai cooks who struggle to make farang food they've never eaten, the kitchen staff and waitresses at Tig's have a thorough understanding of how American favorites should look and taste. Tigglebitties also uses quality ingredients, which is another key requirement for good American food. You can make neither a good hamburger nor a silk purse from a sow's ear, although pigs' ears are fine in Thai-style hot dogs and yam hu mu.

Quite a few U.S. classics are available at Tigglebitties that are uncommon in Pattaya: meatloaf, corndogs, sloppy joes, country fried steak, beef dip sandwiches, pulled pork sliders, biscuits and gravy (or U.S. biscuits alone). The menu also has plenty of American standards such as burgers, hotdogs, hot wings, chili con carne and other Tex Mex dishes, pancakes,  Italian-American pasta dishes, apple pie, etc. The Monday BBQ special deserves mention. It comes in four variations ranging in price from 160 baht to 325 baht. All are available for delivery.

20a.jpg

I have ordered the Ribs & Chicken combo and with a couple of extra side, it was enough for a Thai girl and I to share. It was excellent BBQ and both of us liked it a lot.

21.jpg

I won't go into much detail, but I'll give pics of other dishes I've had on delivery from Tig's. The beef dip sandwich was a daily dpecial at 275 baht. I ordered it deconstructed so the bread wouldn't get soggy.

16.jpg

Thinly sliced top sirloin (225 grams) and a toasted baguette came with an au jus dip and lettuce and tomato.

17a.jpg

Fish tacos. likewise deconstructed:

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

It's interesting what farang foods appeal to some girls. One I know has fallen in love with bacon-wrapped shrimp.

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Real chili con carne done U.S. style, with one of Tig's homemade biscuits on the side:

22.jpg

The garlic bread comes with the meal, but not the biscuit.

23.jpg

A combo platter with bacon-wrapped shrimp. chicken sticks and half a small quesadilla for 180 baht.

14.jpg

15.jpg

Some of the best apple pie in Pattaya at 80 baht a slice.

21a.jpg

Bottom line: Tigglebitties is a great place to have a meal or order food for delivery. I did an eat-in review earlier this year in this thread. And if you're still stuck for Christmas dinner, you could always give Tig's a call or order for delivery.

25.jpg

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Info 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here's one for North Americans:  homemade pork corn dogs from Tigglebitties Tavern.  I ordered them (100 baht each) for delivery and added a slice of apple pie for 80 baht to clear the free-delivery threshold at 250 baht.

IMG_0252a.jpg.203c1b89823e1e6f65c5857bb3336f13.jpg

A corn dog is a hot dog sausage on a stick that has been dipped in a cornmeal batter and deep fried. It's a relatively new entry into the U.S. fast-food pantheon,  having been invented in the late 1930s or early1940s.  One story credits a hot dog vendor who had missed the delivery of buns and decided to coat them with batter used for frying fish.  The stick was added so customers could eat them on the go.  Like the hamburger and hot dog, the corn dog was first sold at fairs and carnivals.

IMG_0253a.jpg.34782c2561803663571ef77e012a19ba.jpg

Tigglebitties' corn dogs were excellent.  A  good-quality hot dog had been used, covered with a light layer of cornmeal and properly fried to golden brown.  It came with ketchup and U.S. ballpark mustard.  It was the perfect food to trigger memories of visits to state and county fairs in my childhood.  

IMG_0257a.jpg.598a8f4a6c5fa8ca4b209e512b49018d.jpg

Corn dogs aren't on Tigglebitties' regular menu, but appear from time-to-time as a daily special.

cornfog.jpg

That's just as well,  as corn dogs aren't exactly health food.  They're waist-expanding and artery-clogging, with about 40% of the 330-calorie count coming from fat.   I have them a few times a year as a treat.  I doubt I'd schlep out to Soi Regional Land just for a corn dog, but home delivery got them to me in 20 minutes.

IMG_0264.jpg.bf8358f14aa9fa559ac26a4d4b5b826c.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg.4ebea58b56e09889f31c0d37604bb60b.jpg

And I didn't make my meal any healthier with a piece of apple pie, but it is the quintessential American dessert that I long for on occasion.

IMG_0260.jpg.180166cde14c1775100f719cdcc3cf9f.jpg

Tigglebitties offers the best apple pie I've had in Pattaya.  The crust is light and flaky and the filling isn't too sweet.  :Clap:

Bottom line:  Tigglebitties is one of the best options in Pattaya for American favorites at reasonable prices.  Home delivery makes it hard to resist the temptation.

You can check out the daily specials and delivery menu at  https://www.hotmeals2u.com.  Delivery is available from 8.30 a.m. to 8.00 p.m.

Evil

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

IMG_0193.jpg.0c676568ce24911c6c44121220f9eecb.jpg

It had been months since I tried the 100-baht Sunday roast dinner at the Marquee Bar on Soi Buakhao, so I went back last week. Very little had changed;  it was almost the same meal I had back in February. That's both positive and negative.

IMG_0185.jpg.8fd0b62aec0da87a6f5a1fa0a7023d54.jpg

It means the Marquee's popular Sunday roasts are holding a decent standard for the low, low price of 100 baht.  I had been worried that if the chicken dinner slipped further in quality it would cross the line into the mediocre category.  That didn't happen.  The slide appears to have been checked.

IMG_0188.jpg.1c53e156c58ede3ec802189429a14161.jpg

The chicken breast fillet, as before, seems to have been poached in water rather than roasted or pan fried. It was tender and tasty, no complaint on that account.  The vegetables and roast potatoes remained good and weren't overcooked.

The downside is that the meal hadn't improved on its weak point, the Yorkshire pudding. It was still too heavy and eggy for me.  The recipe the Marquee is using probably needs to be adjusted.

By way of comparison, below are two pics from the dinner I had in February.  Not much has changed, except the sliver of sweet corn was missing this time.

IMG_186.jpg.d1e8a35a90df238f6ce327ae0156423c.jpg

IMG_0186b.jpg.f64843bc8d73f70122fa862636e44bd5.jpg

The Marquee remains one of the busier bars in Pattaya.

IMG_0183.jpg.9eef933b9be54061a9f05e1f54271c42.jpg

I ate at about 3 p.m. and counted 50 guests at that time.  Another 20 arrived during the 45 minutes I was there,  while 10 or so left.

IMG_0184.jpg.1320dd7e777cc74456476ca6ba6a2297.jpg

The Marquee was about two-thirds full.  It wasn't hard to find a seat, but I had to sit at the counter as all the tables were taken. 

Bottom line:  The Sunday roast chicken dinner at the Marquee is far from the best in Pattaya, but it's still good value for money at the price.  I'm not a fan of the roast beef and pork dinners as they use packaged pre-cooked and sliced meat, but that's a matter of personal preference.  I'm sure there are others who eat them with gusto.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Like 2

IMG_0317.jpg

For nearly three decades, the Sailor Bar & Restaurant  on Soi 8 has been dishing out low-priced food and drink to chea-, uh, thrifty charlies. 

IMG_0315.jpg.5db6e093d153b3cd04b3331eaa81f76a.jpg

Everyone agrees the Sailor's 60-baht cocktails are probably the cheapest buzz in central Pattaya, but opinions have always been sharply mixed regarding the food. Some loved it, others were, shall we say, less enthusiastic. I belonged to the later category and wrote a very negative review back in 2013.

IMG_0314.jpg.91c912f267211b9da5806a2a154ce8bb.jpg

I thought I would take one for the team , so I ate breakfast at the Sailor Thursday morning.  Actually, it was pretty good for 70 baht. 

IMG_0309.jpg.e14fc5af2b496db5daebfefae85fec64.jpg

There are three main choices for breakfast at the Sailor-  fried eggs, scrambled eggs or boiled eggs. 

IMG_0310.jpg.ec7361fc231fd4b0683b242f19f7cb5f.jpg

All three come with toast and jelly; back bacon; an odd Thai hot dog sausage;  a dab of salad; coffee or tea and a small glass of orange drink.

IMG_0311.jpg.bd20d56a4564f1599fe4348b7a11bd6d.jpg

The eggs had been roughly fried, nor was it the most attractive plating I've seen, but the parts I ate tasted good.  I skipped the sausage on grounds of its weirdness and didn't touch the salad because it was extremely wilted. It had been hanging around since at least the previous day.   I drank the coffee, but it was very weak.

IMG_0313.jpg.06b633535ba6e97fea7c4ceebd0a69d0.jpg

On the plus side, the eggs and toast were fresh and the portion of bacon was bigger than you usually get in many restaurants.  The bacon wasn't exactly high quality and most of its taste probably came from liquid smoke,  but it went down easily enough.  For 70 baht,  you can't really complain.

IMG_0308.jpg.3063f5d6c56acc71666fa7e8afb7eb82.jpg

Breakfast is served at the Sailor from 7.00 a.m. to 3 p.m.  I had mine at about 11.00 a.m. and the restaurant had roughly ten other guests. There were 20 customers or so in the bar and a few were really knocking back the drinks despite the early hour.  Most items on the Sailor's menu range in price from 70 baht to 130 baht.  The only items which are more than 130 baht are a half-dozen whole fish dishes (steamed or fried) at 300 baht.

In the past, I have encountered the notorious surliness of the Sailor's wait staff, but things seem to have improved.  One of the waitresses actually smiled at me!

Bottom line:  For those who want bacon and eggs for breakfast but not necessarily a full English fry up, the Sailor's 70-baht meal is a reasonable option.

For nearly three decades, the Sailor  has been dishing out low-priced food and drink to chea-, uh, thrifty charlies.  Everyone agrees the Sailor's 60-baht cocktails are probably the cheapest buzz in central Pattaya, but opinions have always been sharply mixed regarding the food. Some loved it, others were, shall we say, less enthusiastic. I belonged to the later category and wrote a very negative review back in 2013.   I thought the food was truly horrible, others thought it was great.  However,  even the fans of Sailor's inexpensive drinks and food would often comment on the rude service.

It seems as if things have turned around regarding both food and service.  I plan on giving Sailor another chance in the near future.  It's not a restaurant I want to rush back to.   I've seen customers at Sailor do some off-putting things.  I hope they no longer serve guys who aren't wearing shirts.

Through the years, some wild stories have circulated about Sailor.  Here's one from a thread on Addicts.

On 19/03/2016 at 19:10, Harvey707 said:

Well the original Sailor Bar position in early 90's was where the Eastiny hotel is now which was built in 1996 and Sailor moved to its current location. Eve and Peter  didnt own the Restaurant area though and only bought that some years later.

I remember Swiss Peter her husbands 50th birthday in 1995 in the old location when it kept being interrupted by gobby Brits pissed up. Next thing I know Eve has a got a shooter in her hand with bodies flying all over the shop. Am absolutely sure she'd have fired it as well !!

I've heard several times about the wife of the owner chasing customers down Soi 8 with a pistol in her hand. That's hard to believe, but I guess it could be true.

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Like 2

IMG_0296.jpg

The Shack is the abbreviated sucessor to the former Richman Poorman Restaurant on Jomtien Beach Road.  It is a street stall located in the Jomtien Complex, with the entrance to the Complex about two-thirds down the dog-leg section of Thrappaya Rd to Jomtien Beach Road.  The Shack is diagonally across the sub-soi from Tinnie's Pie Shop.

Capture3.JPG

The Shack keeps alive the BBQ and TexMex dishes that were the signature of Richman Poorman.  I would assume most of its  business is takeaway, but there is counter dining and one table for four.

On Thursday I took the baht bus to The Shack.  I ate two hot dogs with sauerkraut at the counter for 120 ฿ and took home a Reuben sandwich for 250  ฿.  Both were good.

IMG_0292.jpg

My reservation about the hog dogs was the sauerkraut.  It simply didn't have enough of a vinegar taste for me.

IMG_0293.jpg

I put the deli mustard on the dogs myself.  Ballpark mustard was also available.

IMG_0295.jpg

The Reuben consisted of pastrami, sauerkraut, cheese and sauce on grilled brown bread.  The pastrami was plentiful and high quality.  A slice of dill pickle came along with it.

IMG_0300.jpg

The Shack's Reuben differed from the traditional Reuben served in the U.S.  A traditional Reuben uses corned beef rather than pastrami and has more sauerkraut and Swiss cheese.  "Russian dressing" is preferred, but the sauce used by The Shack was close. A Reuben is served between grilled slices of what's called Jewish or deli rye in the U.S.

IMG_0302.jpg

The Shack's Reuben isn't a copy of the sandwich you'd get at many U.S. restaurants, but pastrami Reubens are very popular.  It's on the menu at Katz Delicatessen in NYC, which a lot of foodies regard as the top Reuben shop in the world.  The owner of Richman Poorman is famous for his smoked meats, so it's understandable he'd use pastrami, as it's smoked.  Corner beef is boiled.

IMG_0304.jpg

I'll be back to try the BBQ ribs and brisket as well as some of the TexMex dishes on the menu. Almost everything is under 300  ฿, with most under 200 ฿.

IMG_0290.jpg

IMG_0291.jpg

One important note: The Shack is supposed to be open from 9.00 a.m. to 9 p.m. everyday except Wednesday, when it's closed. However, hours tend to be a bit irregular and it has been closed on some days when it was supposed to be open.  It can also run out of certain dishes as the day progresses.

Always call to make sure The Shack is open and that the menu item you want is still available.  The telephone number  065 491 3747. You could also check the Facebook page, listed as Richman Poorman, but it's best to call.

And from the FB page, Saturday and January's specials:

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

Some other pics of menu items from the FB page:

80752377_2572449246324916_4392045329394958336_o.jpg

82003740_2583862705183570_1954993495944986624_o.jpg

82440772_2583862311850276_8123223916400345088_o.jpg

81353023_2581530155416825_3248978657313554432_n.jpg

81099629_2577175705852270_8018414662699712512_o.jpg

81099629_2577175705852270_8018414662699712512_o.jpg

81697318_2579498708953303_7398255036226076672_o.jpg

Edited by Evil Penevil

IMG_0337.jpg.e50616ce38c3095fedad072718de3ced.jpg

Kilkenny on LK Metro is one of my personal favorites for farang food in Pattaya.  It serves up big plates of tasty fare at reasonable prices.  The Sunday roast lamb dinner at 199 baht is real value for money,

IMG_0060.jpg.ee4ae82c72485e5b577b41b2793f3c2c.jpg.276924484b1d4c4f2ac0dd08508577d3.jpg

as is the pork chop special for 175 baht.

pork-chop.jpg.d94aeed0f7de88d74e8580348fcd2c8e.jpg

On Thursday I tried the chicken parmi special at 199 baht.

parmi.jpg.89e833094105000bb8e69544203f74a3.jpg

Here's what I got on my plate:

IMG_0327.jpg.45f51f92b0423da33f9f30eef10979fd.jpg

I don't rate it as highly as the Sunday lamb or the pork chop special, but it was still good and the portion huge. You'd have to have one hell of an appetite to walk away from Kilkenny wanting more.

IMG_0328.jpg.6e597af21fd05db44602bd8f25ee691d.jpg

I may have run into some cultural differences.  Chicken parmi is an Australian term for chicken parmigiana, which is called chicken parmesan or simply "parm" in the U.S.   Chicken parmi is customarily served in Australia with French fries and salad, as in the pic.  In the U.S., chicken parm stays closer to its Italian roots and is served with spaghetti.  It's also common in the U.S. to see chicken parm on a hero roll as a sandwich.

The U.S. and Australian recipes are similar.  A  chicken breast fillet is breaded and fried, then topped with tomato sauce  and a mixture of Parmesan and mozzarella cheese.  The cutlet is baked or placed under a grill for a few minutes to allow the mozzarella to melt and brown slightly.

IMG_0331.jpg.3751c07246c8c4a6c4ae196d2f597a04.jpg

The cutlet was breaded and fried properly as the chicken remained moist. My criticism would be that the Kilkenny version was a bit bland.  It needed more parmesan cheese and the tomato sauce should have had a more Italian flavor.

Bottom line:  The chicken parmi was good, but could be improved.

Kilkenny was busy at 8.30 p.m. Thursday.  It's a good place not only to have a meal, but also for people watching, espoecially the goings-on at the Billabong across the street.

IMG_0326.jpg.efe0d187d9347a94b952a9f58d4d91c5.jpg

Kilkenny Bar & Restaurant has daily specials, almost always farang comfort-food favorites. Friday's specials:

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.7c75553aa1df3277e3f58f9a6deb276b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

An interesting point of trivia:  the menu at The Shack includes a sandwich called "The Jimmy."

Captureqd.jpg

It's named after the guy who used the handle  "GoGo Lover" on the old Secrets' board and was Just Hangin' on Addicts until he was banned. Some of you will know who I mean.

He had a sandwich named after him because he had been a huge, huge fan of the Richman Poorman Restaurant.  I'm not sure what the ingredients of "The Jimmy"  are.  It looks like pastrami and fried onions, but not sure what else.  A better pic:

jimmysmall.jpg

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Like 1

A couple of notes:

I planned to have dinner last night at Cheap Charlie's on Soi Buakhao, but when I got there at 6.30 p.m., every single seat, inside and out,  at the counters and tables, was taken.  The pic below is from an hour later and the crowd had thinned a bit, but it was still very busy.   I have been critical of the food at Cheap Charlie's in the past, but you can't argue with success.  They must be doing something right and it can't just be the cheap food.  Maybe the discount "Rewards" card was a smart move?

IMG_0450.jpg

The Hungry Hippo and the Chunky Monkey also had plenty of customers, but not a full as CCs.  Nearby Prime Burger, Harry's and Kilkenny were well frequented as well.

I tend to avoid crowded restaurants as that's when serving times get long and it's easy for the cook and service staff to make mistakes.  I popped across the street and had dinner at 18 Coins.  It was good, but since I had Thai food, a review would be out of place in this thread.  I did notice one of the least enticing promotions I've ever seen, plus a creepy robot watched me eat:

Untitled-1v.jpg

Some Saturday specials in the LK Metro area.  Most pics are from Facebook.

Cottage pie and lasagne at Kilkenny.

Untitled-1.jpg

The Robin's Nest is under new management.  I haven't tried it, but hopefully the food has been lifted from its previous steep decline.  As I passed by, a staffer handed me a 10% discount coupon.

Untitled-1.jpg

Note that it's "local fish."

8311.jpg

The Tuesday special looks good.

82140471_2723624767720050_2185927732762771456_o.jpg

820.jpg

You can have beer and lasagne specials on Thursday:

Untitled-1a.jpg

The regular menu includes pasta bowls and paninis.

Untitled-4.jpg

Harry's has a value-for-money pork planksteak every day.  I've had it and it's good.

832.jpg

This isn't a special, but Prime Burger has begun with a Beyond Meat plant-based burger.  To the right is a pic of Prime's signature smash burger for comparison.

IMG_0154B.jpg

A bit away from LK Metro at The Avenue Shopping Plaza you have the Robin Hood Tavern with some decent specials. The chicken parm is today's special, but I would have been more tempted by Tuesday's special, the Cajun salmon with penne pasta. Both are  ฿249.

Untitled-3.jpg

Evil

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On Sunday I ordered the "special of the day" for delivery.  It was an excellent meal.  To crossthe 250 ฿ threshold for free delivery,  I added a 50 ฿ side order of diced potatoes, onions and  sweet peppers to bring the order total over the 250 ฿ threshold for free delivery.

1.jpg

This is what the order looked like upon arrival after a one-hour wait.  Everything had been packaged separately so all the components remained hot and weren't soggy.

2.jpg

The Country Fried Steak order included country gravy, brown gravy, mashed potatoes and steamed mixed veggies as well the steak itself.

3.jpg

Country fried steak, also known as chicken fried steak, is a U.S. favorite which dates to the 1850s in Texas.  German immigrants are usually credited with inventing it as an adaptation of the classic Austrian wiener schnitzel.  In its modern form,  country fried steak is a piece of top sirloin or round that has been tenderized through pounding or with a blade tenderizer.  The meat is dipped in egg batter and dredged in seasoned flour, then fried in a skillet or deep fried.  It is most often served smothered in country gravy, aka white gravy,  milk gravy, sausage gravy, sawmill gravy and several other names. In some areas of the U.S., country fried steak is served with brown gravy with onions instead of country gravy. 

4.jpg

The steak had been cut into strips.  I'm guessing that was out of consideration for delivery customers in hotels who don't have access to metal silverware and have to use the plastic knife and fork that comes with the order.  It's not always easy to cut meat with a plastic knife.

5.jpg

The cubed steak was tender and flavorful.  It had been properly breaded and wasn't overcooked. The steamed carrots, broccoli and cauliflower were fresh.  Only the kernels of corn had been frozen.  The country gravy was the right consistency, had been well seasoned and contained plenty of American-style sausage bits.  The mashed potatoes were the weakest point, bland and a bit stodgy, but the brown gravy helped a lot.  

6.jpg

Bottom line: It was a very good meal that I enjoyed a lot.  The portion size was perfect for me.

7.jpg

I saved the side order of potatoes for another meal.  I had them with corn on the cob from 7/11 and a couple of eggs that I did a bad job of frying myself.  Two filling meals for less than 300 ฿ isn't bad at all.

8.jpg

Evil

2 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

Reading the top of this page I'd guess the food came from Tigglebitties Tavern?

I'd wondered the same as thegrogmonster but looking at post 103 the style is the same as there, and that is for Tigglebitties.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/14/2019 at 2:27 PM, Painter said:

Delivery is free for orders 300b plus. I've had several,  early afternoon seems better for her as she delivers to lk metro. Great pies, delivered frozen, cold, or hot, up to you. Very quick to reply on fb.

not a fan i am afraid, cheap cheerful and at best edible, thats it

On 1/18/2020 at 3:13 PM, Evil Penevil said:

This isn't a special, but Prime Burger has begun with a Beyond Meat plant-based burger.  To the right is a pic of Prime's signature smash burger for comparison.

IMG_0154B.jpg

Evil

I have to say Prime Burger has done very well....Much better than I thought they would with their relatively higher end prices......I am to cheap to eat there myself but they are pretty busy most days...

Edited by fforest

On 1/21/2020 at 7:19 AM, tommy dee said:

mmh country fried steak.  can u get as much of the whiote sauce as u want, as i need it soaked almost 

I don't know know about "as much of the white sauce as u want; "  that would cover a lot i]of territory.  But the order I had came with plenty of white sauce, definitely enough to cover the entire breaded cutlet.

Evil

• 3 weeks later...

I'm posting this on behalf of a friend who isn't active on the boards but is convinced I-Rovers Sportsbar and Restaurant on Soi LK Metro deserves more attention than it gets. I can't comment myself about the food at I-Rovers as it's been years and years since I had a meal there,  but my friend- admittedly not a picky eater- recommends it both for breakfast and dinner.

I-Rovers was the home of the original Baht Buster Breakfast and still serves it after the demise of Retox on Soi Lengkee.  The Baht Buster Light Breakfast at ฿99 or the Breakfast Sandwich or Beans on Toast with fried eggs for the same price will be a big enough breakfast for some people.  Not everyone wants a full-scale fry up as the first meal of the day.

IR2.jpg

The prices on the dinner specials are competitive:

Irish-Rovers.jpg

The Web site (https://i-rovers.com/cam-sports-schedule/)  has a clear web cam of LK Metro outside the I-Rovers:  

ir4.JPG

It was interesting that Billabong looked looked deserted at about  3.30 p.m. in the afternoon.  As I recall, Billabong used to be a popular daytime watering spot thanks to its 2-for-1 drink offer.

Evil

4 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

I'm posting this on behalf of a friend who isn't active on the boards but is convinced I-Rovers Sportsbar and Restaurant on Soi LK Metro deserves more attention than it gets. I can't comment myself about the food at I-Rovers as it's been years and years since I had a meal there,  but my friend- admittedly not a picky eater- recommends it both for breakfast and dinner.

I-Rovers was the home of the original Baht Buster Breakfast and still serves it after the demise of Retox on Soi Lengkee.  The Baht Buster Light Breakfast at ฿99 or the Breakfast Sandwich or Beans on Toast with fried eggs for the same price will be a big enough breakfast for some people.  Not everyone wants a full-scale fry up as the first meal of the day.

IR2.jpg

The prices on the dinner specials are competitive:

Irish-Rovers.jpg

The Web site (https://i-rovers.com/cam-sports-schedule/)  has a clear web cam of LK Metro outside the I-Rovers:  

ir4.JPG

It was interesting that Billabong looked looked deserted at about  3.30 p.m. in the afternoon.  As I recall, Billabong used to be a popular daytime watering spot thanks to its 2-for-1 drink offer.

Evil

Stayed a few nights,front room above golf club and let me tell you that the Billabong might not have been busy if the afternoon,but Jesus was it loud and packed at 3am.

That fucking band needs to learn some new songs.🤦‍♂️