Snooker

coxyhog

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/16/2021 at 6:18 PM, Nightcrawler said:

Just watched Yan Bingtao beat Stuart Bingham. Great match down to a decider. 

Bingtao is an incredible player for just 20 years old. 

He could even win the Masters 

He could, but Mr Higgins is leading right now.

1 hour ago, boydeste said:

The pressure is getting to Higgings, it will be interesting to see how Yan is when the finishing line gets closer.

1 hour ago, boydeste said:

The pressure is getting to Higgings, it will be interesting to see how Yan is when the finishing line gets closer.

Well he certainly showed no nurves, superb ad his gf looks hot too!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoy playing pool and even have a good quality slate top pool table in my game room. I have never actually played snooker. Eight ball is the game usually played. That said, watching these pro snooker players is actually depressing. It is amazing just how good they are. Besides potting the balls, they are able to precisely play position for their next shot. I think it is a blend of talent PLUS a lot of practice. I'm jealous.

• Thumbs Up 3

5 hours ago, Gary said:

I enjoy playing pool and even have a good quality slate top pool table in my game room. I have never actually played snooker. Eight ball is the game usually played. That said, watching these pro snooker players is actually depressing. It is amazing just how good they are. Besides potting the balls, they are able to precisely play position for their next shot. I think it is a blend of talent PLUS a lot of practice. I'm jealous.

Spot on comment, that’s exactly how I have felt the dozen or so times I’ve played snooker. Not only how good they are, but how BAD we are in comparison. The table is 6x12’, compared to pool at 4x8 or even 3.5x7. Sliding a ball along the rail is the least forgiving shot in snooker, but easiest in pool. The side pockets do offer some relief to a beginner, as long as the angle isn’t too great.

I’ve loved the game since about 1993 when my local sports channel in Montreal showed some matches, Hendry was the dominant player back then. But unless you put in some serious practice, it’s hard to pot more than a few balls in a row, so easy to be out of position on next one. Great eyesight helps too. And when you pay by the hour, it gets $$$$,  can really take forever to finish a single frame, especially when there’s only 5-6 balls left on those 72 square feet of felt. 

But give it a shot, by all means. If you already love pool, you’ll love snooker

Edited by Golfingboy

5 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

Spot on comment, that’s exactly how I have felt the dozen or so times I’ve played snooker. Not only how good they are, but how BAD we are in comparison. The table is 6x12’, compared to pool at 4x8 or even 3.5x7. Sliding a ball along the rail is the least forgiving shot in snooker, but easiest in pool. The side pockets do offer some relief to a beginner, as long as the angle isn’t too great.

I’ve loved the game since about 1993 when my local sports channel in Montreal showed some matches, Hendry was the dominant player back then. But unless you put in some serious practice, it’s hard to pot more than a few balls in a row, so easy to be out of position on next one. Great eyesight helps too. And when you pay by the hour, it gets $$$$,  can really take forever to finish a single frame, especially when there’s only 5-6 balls left on those 72 square feet of felt. 

But give it a shot, by all means. If you already love pool, you’ll love snooker

Our local farang bar had a pool table with snooker pockets. If you shot just a bit too hard and nicked the side of the pocket, the ball wasn't going in. That used to frustrate the hell out of me. My table is an eight foot pool table. The pockets are shaped a little different and are bit bigger. The farang bar is now history, gutted and gone forever. I ordered my table when the police ordered the farang bar closed because of the virus. A friend and myself play pool and drink beer every Friday night at my home. It sure helps the cabin fever. My friend is a European and although we are fairly evenly matched, he used to play billiards and plays bank shots better than I do. He uses a 9.5 mm tip cue because he uses a lot of English. My cue has an 11.5 mm tip. Most pool cues use a 13 mm tip. My wife thought I was crazy paying 85,000 baht for a pool table but she has now changed her mind and is enjoying learning how to play. I don't have a set of snooker balls.

I'm going to chime in here regarding playing pool v snooker. I've played both and snooker is by far the more difficult game. 

Pool table pockets are akin to buckets. The modern player wears some sort of gay glove for what reason I'll never know. Most snooker players I know who joined the local pub pool leagues pissed all over the pool only players as they could control the cue ball better. They used snooker cues and not the big fat tipped pool cues. 

Anyways, I'm not an expert but played for years in a decent standard snooker league where century breaks were not uncommon. 

Would love to know bms highest snooker break. Mine is 59 x2... Missing a spotted black both times! 

Remember years ago warming up before the nights matches.... Picking the balls out of the pockets for my warming up team mate.... 111 break! 

And this was only local snooker in Lancashire. 

• Thumbs Up 1