Do the expats like it better in Pattaya at the moment?

monkey_omelette

We all know it's quiet and most bars and businesses are suffering but I was wondering about you expats that don't rely on a Thai business for your income. Are you enjoying it more without the hoards of 2 week millionaires invading your city? It's easier for you to get around, the girls are hungrier and possibly cheaper, the night spots are not crowded so you can easily get a seat. Not too many drunken fools around. Beaches are spotless Etc Etc

So, do you secretly like it better with no tourists and are not looking forward to the day they return?

9 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Not as good with the drinking and mongering tourists missing. Their presence added to the party atmosphere. The tourists I don't miss are the groups of Chinese and Indians. They bring nothing to the party, except clogging up roads and footpaths.

Same here.  I'll still visit Pattaya next month for the better selection of western goods in the grocery stores, but my hopes for a few party nights are diminished from what I'm hearing.

10 hours ago, tko said:

Same here.  I'll still visit Pattaya next month for the better selection of western goods in the grocery stores, but my hopes for a few party nights are diminished from what I'm hearing.

There's still good times to be had, but the places that are busy are a lot fewer. Most of the busy places are in the Buakhao area. Several of the GC's can be good fun too, and from what I hear a select few of the gogo's.

• Great Info 1

8 hours ago, john1000 said:

Many expats I guess have western friends who visit at various times in the year and it does make a difference to their lives. Refreshing to have a variety of social contacts.

Yes.  Over time most of our friends back in the US were other Thai/Farang families, so most would visit Thailand at least once a year.  It was great to catch up with them and hear the latest.  Often they'd call before they came over to ask if we needed them to bring anything.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

There's still good times to be had, but the places that are busy are a lot fewer. Most of the busy places are in the Buakhao area. Several of the GC's can be good fun too, and from what I hear a select few of the gogo's.

I would agree with those comments.

"Several of the GC's can be good fun too" are also right in the Buakhao area but start the evening in Le Pub for value for money.

Many of the currently open GoGo's are going to inevitably fall by the wayside, and probably soon, so those that survive are by natural selection going to become busier particularly when they realise that they need to adopt a more realistic expat pricing structure.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

From a selfish social point of view the week I spend in and around Pattaya in every month is just as enjoyable as ever. If two thirds of the entertainment venues were shut there would still be far more still open than I could ever visit in any evening and there would be a better atmosphere anyway simply because they would be busier.

There are much wider issues at play than having a good time in bars etc. Driving in pattaya in the car and stopping at traffic lights and finding Thai's coming up to the car and begging for money is quite upsetting to say the least. It is highly indicative of the adverse effects of no tourists on Pattaya.

Renewing my Retirement visa myself recently was extremely traumatic after my problems last year but why should I be even considering paying 15K to an Agent when I knew I had all my ducks in a row? The answer is that "THEY" want us to use an Agent and it is almost impossible to rid oneself of the thought that "THEY" don't want us here anyway and are looking for any excuse to find something wrong.

I never thought the day would come but I have actually considered the ramifications of going back to the UK. I don't want to but who knows if maybe the Thai authorities might just make it impossible for me to stay.

Overall, this is the most uncertain of times for any expat in Thailand.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

I would never have thought that you would one day think like that ?

There's a few over here on the Darkside that are thinking along those lines too. They have family over there and want to see them and they're getting to the point now where they'll head back to the UK and if at some stage in the future if they're allowed back here they may or may not return ?

As they say blood is thicker than water.

Edited by mrcharliemofo
  • Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, mrcharliemofo said:

There's a few over here on the Darkside that are thinking along those lines too. They have family over there and want to see them and they're getting to the point now where they'll head back to the UK and if at some stage in the future if they're allowed back here that may or may not return ?

As they say blood is thicker than water.

I fully understand. When you accumulate the visa issues and now the Corona situation, I guess ones ask himself the question if it is worth it.

Here (till now) the retirement visa is rather easy, and the Covid situation is not that bad. Nevertheless, I admit that after a few months of living in an beach resort that is empty, seeing people like ghost with masks, and 80% of the places closed it tends to be a bit depressive.

It is very bearable when the Miss is here, but like last month she was in the jungle for 4 weeks, I went down the hill a bit.. Too much drink and not enough proper food.

As I have always said and posted several times, when you live overseas you have to be always ready to pack. Plenty unexpected things can happen. This C19 virus and the mainly the mad reaction of governments all over is a typical example.

Anyway, at the moment I dont think my quality of life in France would be better, the locals are not chasing foreigners wielding swords at them so I stay, and no intention to leave.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

17 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

I fully understand. When you accumulate the visa issues and now the Corona situation, I guess ones ask himself the question if it is worth it.

Here (till now) the retirement visa is rather easy, and the Covid situation is not that bad. Nevertheless, I admit that after a few months of living in an beach resort that is empty, seeing people like ghost with masks, and 80% of the places closed it tends to be a bit depressive.

It is very bearable when the Miss is here, but like last month she was in the jungle for 4 weeks, I went down the hill a bit.. Too much drink and not enough proper food.

As I have always said and posted several times, when you live overseas you have to be always ready to pack. Plenty unexpected things can happen. This C19 virus and the mainly the mad reaction of governments all over is a typical example.

Anyway, at the moment I dont think my quality of life in France would be better, the locals are not chasing foreigners wielding swords at them so I stay, and no intention to leave.

A good and honest post.

From a selfish social point of view the week I spend in and around Pattaya in every month is just as enjoyable as ever. If two thirds of the entertainment venues were shut there would still be far more still open than I could ever visit in any evening and there would be a better atmosphere anyway simply because they would be busier.
There are much wider issues at play than having a good time in bars etc. Driving in pattaya in the car and stopping at traffic lights and finding Thai's coming up to the car and begging for money is quite upsetting to say the least. It is highly indicative of the adverse effects of no tourists on Pattaya.
Renewing my Retirement visa myself recently was extremely traumatic after my problems last year but why should I be even considering paying 15K to an Agent when I knew I had all my ducks in a row? The answer is that "THEY" want us to use an Agent and it is almost impossible to rid oneself of the thought that "THEY" don't want us here anyway and are looking for any excuse to find something wrong.
I never thought the day would come but I have actually considered the ramifications of going back to the UK. I don't want to but who knows if maybe the Thai authorities might just make it impossible for me to stay.
Overall, this is the most uncertain of times for any expat in Thailand.

About the visa. Same thing happened to me a few years ago when I tried to renew my business visa on my own. They want you to use an agent as they will “ease it through” with a fair amount of lubricant.
  • Haha 3

I’m not really enjoying life at the moment, nothing to do with the virus, although it doesn’t help.
Wish I could look after my kids on my own without having to deal with their Mum.
Don’t really enjoy being single, but not really connecting with any potential partner at the moment.
Need some luck.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, misteregg said:

About the visa. Same thing happened to me a few years ago when I tried to renew my business visa on my own. They want you to use an agent as they will “ease it through” with a fair amount of lubricant.

Sometimes the "grease" works best in TH  (especially in TH gov't), but also with the various embassies.

Years ago, I needed to get back to the US quickly and wanted to take my baby daughter (US citizen born in BKK) and ex-Mrs. TH along. My dad was not long for this world...

I used an well-connected "agent" to get the visa (tourist) and we had a 10-year tourist visa in hand in a matter of several weeks. The best part was the agent lit a fire under my ex- to actually get the info that was needed to complete the application.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, misteregg said:

I’m not really enjoying life at the moment, nothing to do with the virus, although it doesn’t help.
Wish I could look after my kids on my own without having to deal with their Mum.
Don’t really enjoy being single, but not really connecting with any potential partner at the moment.
Need some luck.

You are not alone.

I wish I could turn the clock back 9 months.

My change to spending almost three weeks "Up Country" every month and the balance in Bangsaray/Pattaya as opposed to the other way round has not been a success.

Not being able to see my daughters this year because of Covid restrictions has not helped at all. First time since 2006 and two days ago I learned they have managed to change their flights yet again but to mid March 2021.They are all excited but I have this sinking feeling that even another 7 months may not see the complete lifting of incoming tourism to Thailand.

No footy on the TV and to cap it all I read Manure might steal the Gooners new incoming center back before he finally signs.

Oh woe is me!

Edited by Jambo
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, misteregg said:

Need some luck.

For those of us back in Brum I find it hard to believe your finding it hard to get laid........ your little black book of numbers must be thicker than the yellow pages !!

1 minute ago, Pinoydave said:

For those of us back in Brum I find it hard to believe your finding it hard to get laid........ your little black book of numbers must be thicker than the yellow pages !!

I don't think getting laid is an issue, sounds like the Egg is looking for a relationship.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

20 hours ago, misteregg said:

Need some luck.

Understand what you mean Phil. In my opinion you're in the wrong place to find a female suitable for a relationship. Found that myself. No shortage of bangs, but relationship material? No way. Closest I've come is the restaurant girl, who I brought to Le Pub one time (the stunner in the white trousers). Still in touch with her, she's now working in a Pharmacy as the restaurant in Jomtien she was working at closed down.

Probably impossible but be good to take a few days off and go somewhere for a few days and chill out. Maybe go to the "source", like Kohn Kaen, Buriram, Nakhon Nowhere, etc. and catch one before she may even think of heading to Pattaya.

• Like 3

Don’t have one mate. Don’t take girls numbers. They only spam you with messages.

Understand what you mean Phil. In my opinion you're in the wrong place to find a female suitable for a relationship. Found that myself. No shortage of bangs, but relationship material? No way. Closest I've come is the restaurant girl, who I brought to Le Pub one time (the stunner in the white trousers). Still in touch with her, she's now working in a Pharmacy as the restaurant in Jomtien she was working at closed down.
Probably impossible but be good to take a few days off and go somewhere for a few days and chill out. Maybe go to the "source", like Kohn Kaen, Buriram, Nakhon Nowhere, etc. and catch one before she may even think of heading to Pattaya.

She was a nice lady BB.
Don’t really have the time to take off. Not had a day off this week, just too quiet to leave the bar.
Have done the Issan thing before and found that it’s hopeless there. No eye contact with girls. They don’t want to know “farang” They will get labeled as hookers.
To be honest, feeling down this week, I might feel better soon.
See you soon.