Street Photographs From Pattaya Area

john luke

No picture, but the road works on soi 15 now include pre-drilling the road from where they had previously ended by the entrance to the soi from 15 to diana, past Pride Condo, further up towards buckhou beyond the entrance to Grand Avenue and Centara.

Concrete laying now complete from 2nd road to Urban,  and infront of Mercure.  The main area of works seem to be infront of Avenue Residence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sitting at Prommannee last night enjoying a couple of drinks when shortly after 7pm saw a lady putting out No Parking signs in front of tree town. Asked the owner of Prom about it and she didn't know why they were putting up the signs. Not easy to see in the pic, but the sign has hours for no parking listed as 6pm - 1am. 
IMG_20220428_192514.jpg

Apparently the signs are official as about an hour and half later the police showed up and were forcing people to clear the no parking area. I'm puzzled by what they're trying to achieve with the no parking as the road is sufficiently wide at this point for two lanes of traffic, even with bikes and cars parked up.
IMG_20220428_204432.jpg

Also stopped in at Billabong last night and was puzzled by what this sign in the bathroom meant. The faucets worked fine, so it wasn't about that. Anyone with Thai skills, what is the other sign advising for 300B?
IMG_20220428_201555.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

News report on the no parking signs. Only time I've noticed traffic backed up was when cars and baht buses stopped to pick up or drop off passengers. Instead of making the entire area in front of Tree Town no parking, they could have designated a smaller section for pickups and drop offs.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

they could have designated a smaller section for pickups and drop offs.

And how many Baht Buses do you think would obey that ?? 

I imagine about 0%........

Edited by SteveBC

4 hours ago, fygjam said:

Don't (forbidden) puke in the toilet. Fine 300 baht.

Thanks for the translation. Must be a common problem as Prommannee has a sign like that too. They at least had the courtesy of writing it in English, and there's no fine if you ignore the plea.

IMG_20210203_201154.jpg

23 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

"Piss Alley"

For those that haven't walked up that way on a hot day, try not to breath in too often .... unless you are into that sort of thing of course.

Id often use this soi to cut through when staying at pattaya bay resort,used to be a homeless guy camped up just before the junction,whenever he got moved on he always reappeared at the same place,what a life,think some bgs from the bars at that junction used to feed him.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Soi 15 road work update. You can still get through to 2nd Rd through the Avenue parking lot, but probably for not much longer.
P5120023.jpg

P5120027.jpg

P5120028.jpg

P5120031.jpg

A few pics of Soi Boomerang.
P5120009.jpg

P5120011.jpg

P5120017.jpg

P5120019.jpg

Since elections are on the 22nd, guessing this has something to do with that.
P5120048.jpg

Edited by forcebwithu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 4/27/2022 at 9:26 AM, KWA said:

They've not long closed a shop about 50 yards away at the junction of Soi Buakhao and Soi Made in Thailand.

image.png

Snip from Google StreetView.

I have never been in one, but always thought they looked a very professional set up.  Last trip I wanted replacement lenses for distance glasses and started looking at reviews.  They came out very badly, essentially saying unqualified staff and merely salesmen and saleswomen to be politically correct.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, john luke said:

I have never been in one, but always thought they looked a very professional set up.  Last trip I wanted replacement lenses for distance glasses and started looking at reviews.  They came out very badly, essentially saying unqualified staff and merely salesmen and saleswomen to be politically correct.

They are expensive for what they are but I used them a lot when buying glasses for driving. The reason was that I was travelling around Thailand for work and if I had a problem they would fix them for free in any shop, anywhere in Thailand.

My main problem was bent frames, screws dropping out/missing etc or just wear and tear because I was forever dropping them or sitting on them whilst drunk. This was more than 10 years ago so perhaps their service has worsened over the years..

Had some glasses made by them to my UK prescription in Pathum Thani back in 2002. 
Total crap.😡

Like wearing beer goggles ffs!
I left them on the counter and walked out without paying.  

Edited by KhunDon
Date corrected
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 3

48 minutes ago, john luke said:

I'll add my own experience to the negative reviews of the chain.

When I first moved to Thailand I brought my US Rx with me and bought lenses and frames from one of their stores. I still had them do a quick checkup on my eyes and could tell they were pretty clueless on how to operate the equipment properly.

Not only was the staff unqualified, but the quality of the frames were crap. Within a month I noticed the paint on the frames was dissolving and flaking off from, what I guess, was contact with the oil on my skin. I returned to the store and pointed out the defect and asked for a replacement under their one year guarantee. Staff's reply was the frame and lenses were not broken so no replacement. Had a bit of back and forth over that and ended up telling the staff in a loud enough voice so the two other customers in the store could hear me their product was garbage as I tossed the glasses into the store's garbage bin.

Surprised with such low quality product and getting hammered in reviews they're still in business.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

26 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

I'll add my own experience to the negative reviews of the chain.

When I first moved to Thailand I brought my US Rx with me and bought lenses and frames from one of their stores. I still had them do a quick checkup on my eyes and could tell they were pretty clueless on how to operate the equipment properly.

Not only was the staff unqualified, but the quality of the frames were crap. Within a month I noticed the paint on the frames was dissolving and flaking off from, what I guess, was contact with the oil on my skin. I returned to the store and pointed out the defect and asked for a replacement under their one year guarantee. Staff's reply was the frame and lenses were not broken so no replacement. Had a bit of back and forth over that and ended up telling the staff in a loud enough voice so the two other customers in the store could hear me their product was garbage as I tossed the glasses into the store's garbage bin.

Surprised with such low quality product and getting hammered in reviews they're still in business.

Similar experience with the paint peeling off.... except it didnt start doing so until I was back in the uk. A friend who is an optician looked at them and said the lenses were good... but the frames were very cheap and  cheerful. 

I ended up taking them completely apart one weekend and respraying them. They lasted a lot longer after that, like a couple of years,  until I scratched the lenses one day after painting a ceiling... and my head....and my arms....and my glasses...

• Haha 4

I had been to an optometrist in Perth to get new lenses but they were going to take 2 weeks. Had to come from Sydney and I'd be in Thailand by then.

Coming back from Pantip near Ratchathewi BTS was a Top Charoen shop so I dropped in to be greeted by a smoking hot dolly bird in her crisp tight snow white uniform. Got over the message I wanted new lenses for my existing frames.

Takes me out the back where the optometrist is. He puts the frame with the drop in lenses on my nose and try this one, that one, go back, cover your eye type thing until we have a good set. The the smoking hot dolly bird takes me back to the front part of the shop, gets me some ice water and I wait.

About 20 minutes the motorcycle rider turns up, goes out back then returns and takes off.

The smoking hot dolly bird takes me to where the optometrist is again, he's just polishing my new lenses after mounting them in my frames. Pops them on my nose and gives me the test card to read.

The look of absolute disappointment on his face when I can't read a thing.

Then the smoking hot dolly bird flips the test card over from the Thai side to the English side and I read away. Smiles all round. Get my old lenses back in the Hoya packets then new lenses came in. Pay the bill, about half the cost I was quoted back in Perth.

Later, back in Perth, confirmed that the lenses were indeed top of the line Hoya.

My one and only experience with Top Charoen but all good as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SteveBC said:

What year are you living in now Don, or maybe you live by the Thai calendar ??

Yeh that’s because my head hurts. 🤪

Date corrected to 2002. 
Now where the fuk did I put my glasses. 😉

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 3