Street Photographs From Pattaya Area

john luke

Only a little more than four months since the resurfacing of Soi Pothole and they're already doing "repairs", which amounts to nothing more than dumping construction debris into the potholes.

Crazy that someone thought it would be a good idea to put lumps of rocks in the middle of a road.
P6130002.jpg

P6130007.jpg

P6130014.jpg

• Like 1

Easy R-Con open sewer update as of this morning.

Edited to add: I'm now wondering, given the height of the box, if the plan isn't to close off this end of the soi to traffic and allow only foot traffic either side of the box. Keep in mind this soi would still have vehicle access on both sides via soi 13 and 19. Might make for a nice addition to the soi if they plant a garden on top of the box. 

P6150002.jpg

Edited by forcebwithu

Today's update of the Easy R-Con open sewer project. Installing rebar for the cap.
P6180006.jpg

Last night saw the owners of the R-Con bars so asked them about the project. Original completion date was supposed to have been May 22nd. Early on in the project they knew the timeline wasn't feasible as they didn't have the proper equipment for the job. What was most interesting is they said the plan is to fill the soi in to bring it level with the top of the box. Looking at the pic below I suppose they can get away with doing that as it looks like the floor of the building in the background will be slightly above the new grade.
P6180007.jpg

19 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Last night saw the owners of the R-Con bars so asked them about the project.

What was most interesting is they said the plan is to fill the soi in to bring it level with the top of the box. Looking at the pic below I suppose they can get away with doing that as it looks like the floor of the building in the background will be slightly above the new grade.

Looks like that would make the road on the Soi HIGHER then then the road on Soi Baukhao ?

Easy R-Con open sewer project update.
P6220001.jpg

Top of the left side looks like it might end up flush with Buakhao road surface, but the right side is looking a bit too high.
P6220003.jpg

If you extend the sight line out from the top of the concrete form you get an idea how far back on the soi they'll have to backfill to make the road surface level with the top of the box.
P6220011.jpg

P6220013.jpg

It looks like if they do raise the road surface it's going to negatively impact a few shop entrances.
P6220016.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

A couple of pics from today of them installing the outflow drain at the Easy R-Con open sewer project. Looks like they remembered to include a bit of a downhill tilt to the drain. There's two other, smaller outflow holes I'm not sure what the purpose is.
P6240002.jpg

P6240003.jpg

19 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

A couple of pics from today of them installing the outflow drain at the Easy R-Con open sewer project. Looks like they remembered to include a bit of a downhill tilt to the drain. There's two other, smaller outflow holes I'm not sure what the purpose is.
P6240002.jpg

P6240003.jpg

I know nothing about construction but maybe the smaller holes are for passing fiber optics, cables etc through to keep them below ground. Of course I am likely to be totally wrong lol

4 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

I know nothing about construction but maybe the smaller holes are for passing fiber optics, cables etc through to keep them below ground. Of course I am likely to be totally wrong lol

A BM on PT thought if the box was airtight, the smaller holes might be to allow air in as the water moves out. Sounds plausible to me.

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

A BM on PT thought if the box was airtight, the smaller holes might be to allow air in as the water moves out. Sounds plausible to me.

Usually, any air vent goes up a pipe above rooflines to avoid the smells, or it does in countries that worry about smells, but hey, TIT. 😟

Looking at those small pipes, they seem to be on the same level as the large sewage pipes that are cemented into place, so not sure why, but they seemed to have formed 2 or 3 separate chambers at the end of the box for some reason. No doubt someone will figure out what they are.

Looking at that steel rebar and concrete thickness on the top, I’m beginning to think that it’s not designed for heavy traffic, such as lorries. I’m probably wrong though. 🤣

Easy R-Con open sewer project now has a concrete top. It's now been about five months for the workers to build what amounts to nothing more than a concrete box.
P6250005.jpg

Since they have openings for what will probably be stormwater grates on top, the idea the smaller outlet openings are for air vents doesn't seem plausible. 
P6250006.jpg

P6250008.jpg

P6250009.jpg

If these are openings for stormwater grates, it seems odd they would have them on both sides of the box.
P6250011.jpg

I did the walk yesterday afternoon between Bali Hi and the lighthouse.  I do not see the logic of using a wooden decking structure where there is heavy foot traffic, coupled with hot temperatures and high humidity.  Anyway I suggest the wooden footway is very dangerous now.

IMG_0879.jpg

IMG_0880.jpg

IMG_0867.jpg

IMG_0866.jpg

IMG_0865.jpg

IMG_0864.jpg

IMG_0881.jpg

IMG_0852.jpg

IMG_0861.jpg

IMG_0853.jpg

IMG_0855-Edit.jpg

IMG_0849.jpg

IMG_0850.jpg

• Like 1

Is that decking real wood or some sort of composite John? I see the broken pieces but don’t see splintering or splitting of the “wood”. Either way, looks pretty poor construction, but typical Thai IMHO. 

5 hours ago, KhunDon said:

Is that decking real wood or some sort of composite John? I see the broken pieces but don’t see splintering or splitting of the “wood”. Either way, looks pretty poor construction, but typical Thai IMHO. 

It's a composite. It probably would have held up fine over a longer time if it was just foot traffic, but it wouldn't be a far stretch to guess the Thai's drove trucks over the walkway which that material was never designed to support.

3 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

It's a composite. It probably would have held up fine over a longer time if it was just foot traffic, but it wouldn't be a far stretch to guess the Thai's drove trucks over the walkway which that material was never designed to support.

That wouldn’t surprise me. 🤔

Today's task at the Easy R-Con open sewer  project, hook up the outflow drain to the Buakhao storm water system.
P6270002.jpg

Wonder what the black, plastic pipe will be used for. Still don't know what the two smaller outflow holes were for, but no matter, they've now been backfilled with sand. Hope they remembered to plug the holes first.
P6270003.jpg

Form now in place for concreting the top of the inflow drain. The worksite is quite a mess on this end.
P6270006.jpg

Edited by forcebwithu
  • Thanks 1