Covid-19 vaccine - your thoughts

Bazle

Most countries of the world use or offer  biometric passports (see map below).
It would be very easy to require a vaccination record for COVID-19 to be included with it.

"A biometric passport (also known as an e-passport, ePassport, or a digital passport) is a traditional passport that has an embedded electronic microprocessor chip which contains biometric information that can be used to authenticate the identity of the passport holder. It uses contactless smart card technology, including a microprocessor chip (computer chip) and antenna (for both power to the chip and communication) embedded in the front or back cover, or centre page, of the passport. The passport's critical information is printed on the data page of the passport, repeated on the machine readable lines and stored in the chip. Public key infrastructure (PKI) is used to authenticate the data stored electronically in the passport chip, making it expensive and difficult to forge when all security mechanisms are fully and correctly implemented.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biometric_passport

More on the "Yellow Card" -- The wiki...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carte_Jaune

The Carte Jaune or Yellow Card is an international certificate of vaccination (ICV). It is issued by the World Health Organization. It is recognised internationally and may be required for entry to certain countries where there are increased health risks for travellers. The Yellow Card should be kept in the holder's passport, as it is a medical passport of sorts.

Vaccines 

Mandatory 

Currently, the only universally required vaccination is yellow fever. In countries where it is not required for entry, it may be a good idea to get the vaccination if travelling to endemic zones. After the primary immunisation, boosters are required in ten-year intervals. One must receive this vaccination at least ten days prior to travel. For some countries, the cholera vaccine may be required despite the fact that the World Health Organization does not state this in their regulations. To avoid being quarantined or denied entry, check the entry requirements for the country by contacting the embassy or consulate, especially if there is a current cholera outbreak. Because it is not a universally required vaccination, one may need a separate cholera certificate or a physician's signed statement saying that the vaccine is contraindicated for certain health conditions.

On the Yellow Card, the International Certificate of Vaccination or Revaccination Against Yellow Fever (Certificat International de Vaccination ou de Revaccination Contre la Fièvre Jaune) is located on the first two pages (in the original WHO version, 3rd and 4th pages) inside of the card. The certificate requires the date of vaccination, the signature and professional status of the vaccinator (signature et titre du vaccinateur), the manufacturer and batch number of the vaccine (fabricant du vaccin et numéro du lot), and the official stamp of the vaccinating centre (cachet officiel du centre vaccination). In order for the certificate to be valid, the vaccination centre must be approved by the World Health Organization (WHO).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carte_Jaune

. . .

Availability of biometric passports as of mid 2019

1050px-Biometric_passports.png

• 2 weeks later...

Uh-oh...

The vaccine, being developed by pharmaceutical giant AstraZeneca and the University of
Oxford, is being tested at dozens of sites around the world.

The stage 3 trial — the final stage before safety and efficacy data can be submitted to
regulators for approval — has tens of thousands of participants.

The adverse reaction — which AstraZeneca says is an unexplained illness — is believed to
have affected a single participant in the UK.

https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavirus/health/shock-setback-in-vaccine-australia-bought/news-story/1a5ed8bef2d58f840b71da8a135ac814

This video is worth a watch.

The main talking head is Dr Daniel Griffin, practicing doctor in New York, the other guy is the host of the podcast, Vincent Racaniello, professor of virology at Columbia University. (There's a whole series of TWiV, worth the watch if you're into the science).

10 hours ago, fygjam said:

Uh-oh...

The vaccine, being developed by pharmaceutical giant AstraZeneca and the University of
Oxford, is being tested at dozens of sites around the world.

The stage 3 trial — the final stage before safety and efficacy data can be submitted to
regulators for approval — has tens of thousands of participants.

The adverse reaction — which AstraZeneca says is an unexplained illness — is believed to
have affected a single participant in the UK.

https://www.news.com.au/world/coronavirus/health/shock-setback-in-vaccine-australia-bought/news-story/1a5ed8bef2d58f840b71da8a135ac814

9 hours ago, Painter said:

The adverse reaction apparently is transverse myelitis, an inflammation of the spinal cord.

A person familiar with the situation, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said that the participant who experienced the suspected adverse reaction had been enrolled in a Phase 2/3 trial based in the United Kingdom. The individual also said that a volunteer in the U.K. trial had received a diagnosis of transverse myelitis, an inflammatory syndrome that affects the spinal cord and is often sparked by viral infections. However, the timing of this diagnosis, and whether it was directly linked to AstraZeneca’s vaccine, is still unknown.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/08/health/coronavirus-astrazeneca-vaccine-safety.html

Transverse myelitis has been seen in sufferers of Covid-19.

On 9/9/2020 at 10:29 AM, fygjam said:

The adverse reaction apparently is transverse myelitis, an inflammation of the spinal cord.

A person familiar with the situation, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said that the participant who experienced the suspected adverse reaction had been enrolled in a Phase 2/3 trial based in the United Kingdom. The individual also said that a volunteer in the U.K. trial had received a diagnosis of transverse myelitis, an inflammatory syndrome that affects the spinal cord and is often sparked by viral infections. However, the timing of this diagnosis, and whether it was directly linked to AstraZeneca’s vaccine, is still unknown.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/08/health/coronavirus-astrazeneca-vaccine-safety.html

Transverse myelitis has been seen in sufferers of Covid-19.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-54132066

Seems the Oxford vaccination trials are back on....

• 1 month later...

By the way, for those who dream that a potential Covid vaccine will be THE solution and will chase the whole thing away, read this about flu vaccines effectiveness. And those have been around, studied, improved for a few decades...

So, yes a Covid vaccine may be helpful, but NO it is not the solution that will make Covid  disappear.  

https://news.yahoo.com/u-k-vaccine-chief-says-133750131.html

The first wave of COVID-19 vaccines probably won't end the coronavirus pandemic, but "a partially effective vaccine is better than no vaccine at all," Kate Bingham, the head of Britain's vaccine task force, told Sky News on Tuesday. "Flu vaccines are 50 percent effective, but they are widely used and have a big impact on reducing the clinical impacts of flu in the population." She told The Telegraph on Wednesday that with the COVID-19 effort, "we shouldn't assume it's going to be better than a flu vaccine."

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/vaccineeffect.htm

CDC conducts studies each year to determine how well the influenza (flu) vaccine protects against flu illness. While vaccine effectiveness (VE) can vary, recent studies show that flu vaccination reduces the risk of flu illness by between 40% and 60% among the overall population during seasons when most circulating flu viruses are well-matched to the flu vaccine. In general, current flu vaccines tend to work better against influenza B and influenza A(H1N1) viruses and offer lower protection against influenza A(H3N2) viruses. See “Does flu vaccine effectiveness vary by type or subtype?” and “Why is flu vaccine typically less effective against influenza A H3N2 viruses?” for more information.

https://www.aafp.org/news/health-of-the-public/20200226interimfluve.html

February 26, 2020 10:01 am Chris Crawford -- According to a Feb. 21 CDC Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, the current influenza vaccine has been 45% effective overall against 2019-2020 seasonal influenza A and B viruses.

Specifically, the flu vaccine has been 50% effective against influenza B/Victoria viruses and 37% effective against influenza A(H1N1)pdm09.

According to former AAFP Vaccine Science Fellow John Epling, M.D., M.S.Ed., of Roanoke, Va., that means the vaccine is about as effective as it typically is in a season when it offers a decent match to circulating influenza antigens.

==>  So, yes it may be helpful, but NO it is not the solution that will make Covid  disappear.  So, again... learn to live with it without fear.

"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."      - Douglas Adams

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Pfizer vaccine nearly ready. Hopefully it begins to be administered by the end of the year, along with other vaccines that should hopefully begin early next year, I'm hoping that this time next year we will be almost back to normal. The old normal, not this bollocks. 

Screenshot_20201017_070603.jpg

Edited by dcfc2007
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dcfc2007 said:

Pfizer vaccine nearly ready. Hopefully it begins to be administered by the end of the year, along with other vaccines that should hopefully begin early next year, I'm hoping that this time next year we will be almost back to normal. The old normal, not this bollocks. 

Screenshot_20201017_070603.jpg

The USA, third week of May 2021

On 9/12/2020 at 9:57 PM, Nickrock said:

Personally I'm pretty sceptical of any rushed in to production cures I will be waiting for a few million people have had it 

There have been many cures that were worse than the ailment in history

Yeah, won't be getting me taking it until I trust its safe. 

Normally takes years to develop medicine. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I too have some apprehensions but I probably will. 

I would much prefer if there were more effective treatments for the sick and elderly, who run the risk of premature death as a result of C19. At the moment, those that are being developed are also not beyond risk. However, 

Its a tough call and for instance, if, let's say, international travel became dependent on a vaccine then that would persuade me. 

Nothing at the moment appears to be without risk. I would weigh up isolation against a vaccine 

• Thumbs Up 1

So far have managed to stay quite healthy without a vaccine.

Other than my daughter's school being closed our life has not changed dramatically. Wearing a mask to avoid a potentially deadly disease (for me) around is not a great imposition. I'm not much for crowded places and we rarely eat in restaurants. We have a group of family and friends that we see socially...

That said, normally we travel in the summer to Thailand and other parts of Asia. The earliest we'd go is seven months out.  I have my doubts that Thailand will be "open" by then anyway. And, I definitely do not want to travel around with some type of "tracking" device or app.

So, will likely wait awhile for a Covid vaccine. We did get flu shots recently...but that's a proven prophylactic.

Edited by lazarus

1 hour ago, Nightcrawler said:

Its a tough call and for instance, if, let's say, international travel became dependent on a vaccine then that would persuade me. 

Yes, but keeping in mind that probably the vaccine could have the same efficiency rate as the flu vaccine, i.e. 50 to 60%, you remain with a nearly 50% chance to catch it even being vaccinated....

That was my point. 

So for people like you, who deem themselves to be in the "high risk" bracket, is a 50/50 gamble worth taken it ? 

Knowing that even without vaccine, you have a very low probability to catch it.

Of course mathematically, it divides (roughly) by two the already low probability, so yes it is a reasonnable choice.

EXCEPT if there is a risk of side effect or conflict with another treatment / medicine that you might be already taking to stay alive even without the C19 factor ....

29 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Yes, but keeping in mind that probably the vaccine could have the same efficiency rate as the flu vaccine, i.e. 50 to 60%, you remain with a nearly 50% chance to catch it even being vaccinated....

That was my point. 

So for people like you, who deem themselves to be in the "high risk" bracket, is a 50/50 gamble worth taken it ? 

Knowing that even without vaccine, you have a very low probability to catch it.

Of course mathematically, it divides (roughly) by two the already low probability, so yes it is a reasonnable choice.

EXCEPT if there is a risk of side effect or conflict with another treatment / medicine that you might be already taking to stay alive even without the C19 factor ....

Of course, as I said, everything is a risk. But we have to base our personal choices according to our gut feelings. There is no conclusive win/win as yet. 

I cant speak for others, as to whether they should have a  vaccine or not, its just my personal view. 

I have been having the Flu jab for 5 years now and not had the Flu during that time. Could be a coincidence, but more likely it has been worth it and without any side effects that I am aware of. 

Right now, its all a gamble. There is no vaccine yet, so I will have plenty of time to make up my mind.  International travel does not yet depend on a vaccine so again, plenty of time to see whether that pans out or not . 

I am not suggesting that everyone takes a vaccine, it will all be personal choice.  Even if I had a vaccine I would still take as many sensible steps as possible to avoid infection. 

Maybe the other alternative is to round up people like me and dispatch us to Switzerland under a Euthanasia program 😫

3 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

Maybe the other alternative is to round up people like me and dispatch us to Switzerland under a Euthanasia program 😫

Naaah, why Switzerland when you guys have some nice places in the Commonwealth's "empire" like Australia....or why not Ascension ?

😁😁😁😌😌😌

3 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

Of course that is another conspiracy theory....all the old folks passing on are easing the pension bill for the governments....

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Haha 1

It's something i've thought about, due to my job i'd be near front of the queue for getting it.

There will definitely be a vaccine, or vaccines, there's too much money involved for there not to be. How effective or safe they will be is another matter.

Even though with my age and a couple of health issues, i'd probably be at higher risk, i'm still not convinced about getting it when whatever is rolled out. 

That would be a no from me as it currently stands. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1