Maybe a glimmer of hope?

Britboy

Until the mandatory 14 day quarantine is scrapped, it's still going to remain a tough nut to crack. For some reason the PM seems to be very much against opening up the borders, plenty of speculation as to why this is the case, but none of it concrete.

Another factor to consider is the current situation that is unfolding. This may or may not distract from the current pandemic scare, but it is certainly a development with some potentially serious consequences.

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, Butch said:

Another factor to consider is the current situation that is unfolding. This may or may not distract from the current pandemic scare, but it is certainly a development with some potentially serious consequences.

Yes, exactly right. I'm very surprised things haven't kicked off big time already. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Britboy said:

Yes, exactly right. I'm very surprised things haven't kicked off big time already. 

Is this a see daaeng shirt uprising? The GF up in Northern Korat said the usual folks in her village who always make the trek down to BKK for these things haven't gone anywhere.

22 minutes ago, Steelers4Life said:

Is this a see daaeng shirt uprising? The GF up in Northern Korat said the usual folks in her village who always make the trek down to BKK for these things haven't gone anywhere.

It's just brewing right now . . . 

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30393022?utm_source=category&utm_medium=internal_referral

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1971599/tight-security-at-court-for-activists-hearing

I'm also surprised those who have been dramatically affected by the lack of tourists haven't revolted yet too, bearing in mind the Junta do diddly to help them.

• Like 2
  • Great Info 2

That's great to hear Phil. Any basis for that thought or just your gut feel?

Mate of mine who is Elite got an email today offering this. When the quarantine capacity is high enough it will happen, in my opinion. Makes economic and scientific sense.
  • Thanks 2
  • Great Info 1

1 minute ago, misteregg said:

Mate of mine who is Elite got an email today offering this. When the quarantine capacity is high enough it will happen, in my opinion. Makes economic and scientific sense.

I checked out the Elite card last night funnily enough. Started to do the maths on visa renewal costs, etc. etc.

It doesn't make financial sense but sure saves a lot of hassle. Worst case scenario I may just do that . . 

6 minutes ago, nampla69 said:

Travelling to Thailand by October ain't gonna happen. Have a read of this from a Dutch guy:

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/i-flew-out-of-thailand-to-get-a-new-visa-one-persons-experience-with-the-new-normal

Yeah I read that and what a pain in the proverbial.

They'd have to relax that somewhat by October 1st if they really do want tourists in.

10 hours ago, Britboy said:

Yeah I read that and what a pain in the proverbial.

They'd have to relax that somewhat by October 1st if they really do want tourists in.

They don't want tourists in though, not like they had before anyway.   

They don't even want retirees in at the moment. There are 1000s of retirees stranded abroad who have made Thailand their home but don't fit the criteria to return. 

Moreover, there are 100s if not 1000s that do fit the criteria to return who are still trying to get on the few repatriation flights that are available especially in the UK for example. 

Yes elite card holders are likely to be allowed to return soon, but they are not tourists. Whats the minimum charge for an elite visa? I thought it was around 500K for a year.

Tourists won't pay that, but people like those retirees desperately trying to return sure might so is it anymore than a cash cow for the government I wonder? 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, nampla69 said:

Travelling to Thailand by October ain't gonna happen. Have a read of this from a Dutch guy:

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/i-flew-out-of-thailand-to-get-a-new-visa-one-persons-experience-with-the-new-normal

77k baht just for the quarantine room for 2 weeks? Even if 80% of all hotels became available for such a “program”, and the cost came down a bit, who will pay that AND have the time to sacrifice as well? Not me

My rewards program has now extended my refund period to October 15, from August 31. Gives me a bit more time to decide, but sadly 95% chance I’m not going in January. At least I keep the miles and can book again once restrictions ease.....I might even go visit Europe instead

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

77k baht just for the quarantine room for 2 weeks? Even if 80% of all hotels became available for such a “program”, and the cost came down a bit, who will pay that AND have the time to sacrifice as well? Not me

My rewards program has now extended my refund period to October 15, from August 31. Gives me a bit more time to decide, but sadly 95% chance I’m not going in January. At least I keep the miles and can book again once restrictions ease.....I might even go visit Europe instead

I will travel with my family of 3 next month and expect to have to fork out 150K for ASQ. 

14 hours ago, nampla69 said:

This fellow said he had all paperwork in place ... why did he not just get his marriage visa in Thailand.  Immigration has not closed..... really do not understand why he flew back to the Netherlands when it could have been sorted out in Thailand.... unless I am missing something here.

cheers

Edited by roobob
  • Great Info 1

3 hours ago, Esco said:

They don't want tourists in though, not like they had before anyway.   

They don't even want retirees in at the moment. There are 1000s of retirees stranded abroad who have made Thailand their home but don't fit the criteria to return. 

Moreover, there are 100s if not 1000s that do fit the criteria to return who are still trying to get on the few repatriation flights that are available especially in the UK for example. 

Yes elite card holders are likely to be allowed to return soon, but they are not tourists. Whats the minimum charge for an elite visa? I thought it was around 500K for a year.

Tourists won't pay that, but people like those retirees desperately trying to return sure might so is it anymore than a cash cow for the government I wonder? 

I'm one of those retirees, stuck in UK, so very frustrating. My retirement visa expires end of October.

You're right, the least expensive Elite card is 500k, which covers 5 years - https://www.thailandelitevisas.com/membership-packages-comparison/

That is certainly a cash-cow if people are prepared to pay it. Using the Agency I used to obtain the initial retirement visa it would cost me around 100k over that 5 year period for 5 x multiple entry retirement visas, so it would cost 400k more for an Elite card. The other "benefits" you get with the Elite card aren't really beneficial to me.

Last month I checked the BA site for flights and they were taking booking from 1st Sept. I just checked again and that's all changed. They are offering flights every couple of days, but with BA partners (Ethiopian Airlines . . 😩). They're now showing direct BA flights as of October 1st. Let's see how long that stays the case, but it would be crazy to book anything now, despite what's available to book.

• Like 2
  • Great Info 1

6 minutes ago, Bazle said:

And you can't just spread that cost over 5 years as you can't predict whether you will be able to travel - e.g. (apart from Covid) you might be unwell, there might be civil unrest. etc.

That's right, it's a one-off cost of 500k paid up front.

Sure, there may be problems other than Covid that prevent travel, but I'd still have that problem if I was on a retirement visa. Bottom line is the Elite card would cost me 400k more over the 5 year period.

No rash decisions from me, that's for sure. Will see how the next couple of months pan out, when my current retirement visa is about to expire. But even then the Agency have assured me they can still sort a new retirement visa once I can return, even if the current one has expired.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RimmerMan said:

I applied for my Elite Visa on August 2nd.

The minimum is 500,000 for a 5-year option. 

There is also a 1,000,000 for 20 years, but you don't get any of the discounts offered.

Here is a link.

How's the process going? Are they enthusiastic to process it and when do you think it'll be approved and have the card?

6 hours ago, Britboy said:

That's right, it's a one-off cost of 500k paid up front.

Sure, there may be problems other than Covid that prevent travel, but I'd still have that problem if I was on a retirement visa. Bottom line is the Elite card would cost me 400k more over the 5 year period.

No rash decisions from me, that's for sure. Will see how the next couple of months pan out, when my current retirement visa is about to expire. But even then the Agency have assured me they can still sort a new retirement visa once I can return, even if the current one has expired.

Have you asked can you renew/extend your current retirement visa there?? 

You do not have to be in Thailand to get a retirement visa.... and it would not cost anything to ask the question.

cheers