Maybe a glimmer of hope?

Britboy

4 minutes ago, roobob said:

You do not have to be in Thailand to get a retirement visa.... and it would not cost anything to ask the question.

But you do to get a "Retirement Extension" (often incorrectly referred to as a "Retirement Visa"), which is what I think Britboy and many BMs have.

5 minutes ago, roobob said:

Have you asked can you renew/extend your current retirement visa there?? 

You do not have to be in Thailand to get a retirement visa.... and it would not cost anything to ask the question.

cheers

Good point, but the problem is I don't have a permanent address in Thailand now. I guess I could get round that though . . . 😉

I did email the Embassy in London about getting back to Thailand, to which they replied with a very short and sharp statement "retirees are not allowed to travel to Thailand now".

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bazle said:

But you do to get a "Retirement Extension" (often incorrectly referred to as a "Retirement Visa"), which is what I think Britboy and many BMs have.

This was my first retirement visa, so presumably it would be an extension. Don't know to be honest.

1 hour ago, roobob said:

Have you asked can you renew/extend your current retirement visa there?? 

cheers

Doesn't matter mate.

Retirees aren't part of the selected few allowed into the country. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Esco said:

Doesn't matter mate.

Retirees aren't part of the selected few allowed into the country. 

That's correct, as things stand at the moment.

Interesting thought as to whether I can renew the visa in UK, even if I can't travel back there yet. Though as mentioned, technically I don't have a permanent address in Thailand, which you need for a retirement visa. I'm sure I could "manufacture" one though.

Any BM in Thailand want a temporary room mate? 😉

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, RimmerMan said:

I applied for my Elite Visa on August 2nd.

The minimum is 500,000 for a 5-year option. 

There is also a 1,000,000 for 20 years, but you don't get any of the discounts offered.

Here is a link.

But you still have to do the 90 d reporting ?

And what about exit / re-entry during the 5 years ? At will, or need to apply for re entry permit each time ?

20 hours ago, Britboy said:

Last month I checked the BA site for flights and they were taking booking from 1st Sept. I just checked again and that's all changed.

Emirates too.  They've just pulled their regular Bangkok flights from sale which were also being offered from Sep 1st.  They're now for sale from October 25th.

On 8/20/2020 at 12:48 PM, Britboy said:

There's been any number of ideas mooted, then booted. I do think by the end of the year, anyone willing to fork out a ridiculous amount of money for the ASQ, and who can provide a clear covid test 3 days prior to travel, will be allowed to enter Thailand.

That will work for those blokes that spend the winter in Thailand, those with families there etc, but it rules out 90% or more of normal tourists. I would take these announcements with a fistful of salt, every somchai in Thailand is a general or minister of something. 

The decision to let tourists in will be made by Prayuth, Prawit and his inner circle. I also believe the current, fast moving political developments and protests in Thailand will scupper any plans currently being drafted. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

The decision to let tourists in will be made by Prayuth, Prawit and his inner circle. I also believe the current, fast moving political developments and protests in Thailand will scupper any plans currently being drafted. 

The protests are obviously building up and I expect them to escalate. I remember when I left Thailand when the red/yellow shirts was at it's peak. It was the night they shut the airport, I was one of the last to get in and only because the cabbie knew a back way to the rear of the terminal.

Protests, etc. could actually work the other way though - the PM will want to deflect attention away from them, allowing tourism in might be one way of helping that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Britboy said:

The protests are obviously building up and I expect them to escalate. I remember when I left Thailand when the red/yellow shirts was at it's peak. It was the night they shut the airport, I was one of the last to get in and only because the cabbie knew a back way to the rear of the terminal.

Protests, etc. could actually work the other way though - the PM will want to deflect attention away from them, allowing tourism in might be one way of helping that.

It might be, but Thailand hasn't seen these sort of protests since the mid-80's, its not the numbers but the subject of the protests. It's not unlikely that we could see another bloody crackdown on the protests. At this stage though, it's all just hypothesising, we will see what happens come October. 

• Like 1

From The Telegraph just now:

Thailand considers reopening borders, but arrivals may need to wear tracking devices

Bloomberg reports that Thailand is cautiously looking at plans to reopen its borders as it struggles to survive an extended period without international visitors. Its economy is heavily reliant on tourism, to the tune of 20 per cent of its GDP, but its borders have been shut since March.

“The virus won’t go away soon and we have to think about the economy. But we can’t just reopen the borders. We have to be careful,” said Transport Minister Saksiam Chidchob.  

Thailand may allow some foreign visitors in as early as October, but only from countries with limited infection rates. They will also probably be required to wear wristbands with GPS tracking systems and will need to be quarantined in a hotel for the first 14 days, Saksiam said.

Almost 40 million tourists visited Thailand in 2019. Quite how many will be willing to visit the country with such restrictions in force remains to be seen. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just don't see how they think that people are still going to want to stay in a hotel for 14 days, then "be free" to roam the country with a GPS tracking system with all the still very high expenses to do this. But maybe people will....I won't. Will stay here until all is well. If it is 2 more years, ok by me and Rachanee really. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, nampla69 said:

From The Telegraph just now:

Thailand considers reopening borders, but arrivals may need to wear tracking devices

Bloomberg reports that Thailand is cautiously looking at plans to reopen its borders as it struggles to survive an extended period without international visitors. Its economy is heavily reliant on tourism, to the tune of 20 per cent of its GDP, but its borders have been shut since March.

“The virus won’t go away soon and we have to think about the economy. But we can’t just reopen the borders. We have to be careful,” said Transport Minister Saksiam Chidchob.  

Thailand may allow some foreign visitors in as early as October, but only from countries with limited infection rates. They will also probably be required to wear wristbands with GPS tracking systems and will need to be quarantined in a hotel for the first 14 days, Saksiam said.

Almost 40 million tourists visited Thailand in 2019. Quite how many will be willing to visit the country with such restrictions in force remains to be seen. 

I'm sat here picturing 10.000s of people with ankle bracelets down all across Thailand lol. 

Bonkers! 

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, Yessongs said:

Just don't see how they think that people are still going to want to stay in a hotel for 14 days, then "be free" to roam the country with a GPS tracking system with all the still very high expenses to do this. But maybe people will....I won't. Will stay here until all is well. If it is 2 more years, ok by me and Rachanee really. 

I completely agree here!

Having a 30 day mandate eliminates a huge percentage of potential tourists right off the top and for the remaining ones, would ANY of them, especially a family, adhere to being basically ordered to remain within the confines to a room, or if allowed, a walk out to the "lovely garden to take in the variety of flowers" instead of endlessly clicking the remote in search of programming besides those dreadful soaps or music vids with sexy women cavorting about, reminding the guy what he is missing out on while being quarantined.

Two weeks of that? No sir! I could just stay in my own house and save on having to pay airfare, among other expenses, for the privilege of doing the same 9,000 miles away.

No lifting of the quarantine, then I ain't comin'!

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1