Maybe a glimmer of hope?

Britboy

2 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Like wearing a symbol indicating the unclean.

Can imagine kids pointing at you in the street and worse in rural areas.

"farang, farang..."

I used to ride my motorbike a lot around rural villages way way out in the countyside...

Would hear this all the time.

1 hour ago, dcfc2007 said:

Apparently some of the ASQ resorts that have beaches are charging visitors extra to use the sunloungers, as much as 1k baht per day in some cases, the ASQ hotels must be absolutely raking it in. 

You could bet your life on a load of large brown envelopes in circulation...lol....

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, nampla69 said:

Definitely a glimmer of hope here. About sodding time. Germans and French already do this. My mate is off to the DR tomorrow and they test passengers at the airport.

Worth a read the White House has had one of these in place for some time.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/08/28/twenty-second-covid-tests-trialled-heathrow-bid-unlock-travel/

This method of testing is subject to a lot of discussion, seems the error rate is very high. Both ways.

Cant find the precise article, but remember reading something yesterday about it amongst my stock market news.

Several "fast" method beeing tested. One is with breath analysis. Another is grouping / mixing the saliva samples of say 20 people, if the result is negative the whole group goes through, if it's positive an individual sample is taken from each member of the group.

The main purpose being the speeding up of the test results. 

At the end the whole thing will just fade away, several companies a few billions richer.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Tourism Authority of Thailand Gov. Yuthasak Supasorn said Sept. 21 that the days of buying a round-trip air ticket and showing up in Thailand with only a passport and suitcase are over, at least for the foreseeable future.

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/news/tourism-officials-claim-big-interest-in-long-stay-thai-visa-despite-31-steps-to-apply-315843

I read an interesting thing from one of the well-known and sensible mods on Thai Visa this morning, ubonjoe.

Until recently, the only way you could re-enter Thailand if you met the criteria (marriage to a Thai or Thai children, etc.) was on an official repatriation flight. In the UK they are only allowing 60 farangs on each flight and there's a backlog of several thousand Brits wanting to return here, so even if you can meet the criteria and get all the paperwork and tests sorted out, still nothing will happen any time soon.

The interesting thing is that they are now allowing people with the right paperwork and qualifications to fly here on scheduled Emirates flights from Dubai to Bangkok, no need to queue for a repatriation flight. If they allow a few other airlines to do this then a lot more of the "right sort of farang" should arrive here sooner rather than later.

A small step in the right direction, maybe.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/24/2020 at 4:11 AM, Toy Boy said:

The interesting thing is that they are now allowing people with the right paperwork and qualifications to fly here on scheduled Emirates flights from Dubai to Bangkok, no need to queue for a repatriation flight. If they allow a few other airlines to do this then a lot more of the "right sort of farang" should arrive here sooner rather than later.

There's one flight a day with Emirates (EK384) that goes on from Bangkok to Hong Kong, and they have had permission to drop passengers off in Bangkok since the start of September.  Permission is currently until the 24th October.  There was also until recently some KLM flights that transitted in Bangkok that were bringing in passengers, but it seems like they've stopped doing this now, but they must have had a similar agreement.  ASQ capacity might be limiting things now even though there are currently around 70 hotels offering it.

I've just read that BM Esco is on the Emirates flight soon.

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, monkeyman said:

Well the whole STV thing's gone down the crapper now and nobody's getting any refunds.

We really shouldn't laugh. :default_cheers:

I have not seen any references to refunds mentioned anywhere, however my thoughts were that there are so many parties involved, non of the parties or transactions are linked or carried out by one party and I envisaged  problems with refunds if the trip did not take place.

48 minutes ago, monkeyman said:

Well the whole STV thing's gone down the crapper now and nobody's getting any refunds.

We really shouldn't laugh. :default_cheers:

STV ??? some sort of visa ??....  I haven't kept up .... ?? STD I get yeah but ...... ??

Mai khao jai ....khrap.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, jcolorado said:

They are saying no refunds because it is not cancelled - only delayed.

Mmmm. Thais shot themselves in the foot with this?

Fool me once - shame on you

Fool me twice - shame on me....

No refunds on the million++ Baht cost of a Thai Elite visa either, even though they're hardly allowing any of the holders back into the country. An article a few days ago said that just 50 Elite visa holders had been allowed back into the country since the borders were closed.

1 minute ago, Esco said:

Short Time Visa for the soi 6 lovers. 

If you're a real soi 6 lover you will doing virtual bell rings on PayPal, or even better, you can buy a man drink on PayPal for your favourite soi 6 manager. 

🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Even if they wanted to open the borders tomorrow, that doesn't change the fact that most of the world is still living under some form of travel restrictions. Until the world moves on from this debacle, then no country is returning to the sort of tourism seen in 2019.

• Like 1