Maybe a glimmer of hope?

Britboy

12 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

Even if they wanted to open the borders tomorrow, that doesn't change the fact that most of the world is still living under some form of travel restrictions. Until the world moves on from this debacle, then no country is returning to the sort of tourism seen in 2019.

Before Thailand I would love to see my elder daughter in the Philippines but the powers that be are not expecting international tourism to be flowing before the middle of 2021.

They are going to concentrate on Domestic tourism for now.

42 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Before Thailand I would love to see my elder daughter in the Philippines but the powers that be are not expecting international tourism to be flowing before the middle of 2021.

They are going to concentrate on Domestic tourism for now.

I hope you get to see your daughter soon. 

It's anyone's guess at this rate. 

Boris said in a recent speech that covid restrictions will be in place until next September. 

But look how wrong they have been so far. 

My inkling is that there will be no restriction free travel until early 2022. 

• Thumbs Up 1

With the combination of internal economic (and political) pressures that mount more each day there is going to come a point when they have to come up with a balanced option.

It will be something where the costs to enter will be fairly reasonable and the amount of red tape (tests, etc.) streamlined. If not they simply won't get the numbers to sustain the industry. If they don't the industry will collapse, it is just too significant in the countries image and backbone of the economy (I am up here in Chiang Mai, the 2nd largest city in Thailand - everything, and I mean everything is based on tourism). They have to come up with some kind of equilibrium with the cost/hassle so that is something they can present to cover their asses while still allowing the big enough numbers to sustain the industry. 

I don't think they have much choice. They do not have the capacity or the ability to diversify their economy quickly enough otherwise. How would you train so many millions who cook, clean, drive, massage, entertain, guide, sell/rent property, sell service, security, on an on - to go work in a new chip factory ? Ain't gonna happen.

The timing of this will be around the time the vaccines are released. 

- I'm speculating that there will be some kind of easy test (form you fill out on an app) before you fly. A test upon arrival, along with a pledge that you agreed to wear your mask and wash your hands after you go to the potty.

- You will have to show some kind of covid insurance (they will come down to some reasonably affordable amount).

- They will make you load some kind of tracking app. on your phone (virtually worthless) 

- They will require you receive a vaccine upon arrival or proof of something acceptable before you entered.

You will slide through the airport like greased lightning, receiving smiles every step of the way. You will be treated like royalty, and respect (with the usual dirty side looks from some of them). 

They will broadcast in the media how safe and well planned out everything is. They will designate regional covid care centers where they will reassure the public --- that any falang who is shown to have it will be taken, treated and shipped back (at their cost, insurance will pay). 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well the wife and son missed their 2 trips back to Thailand this year, including all of August and we’ve resigned ourselves to the fact it’s highly likely they won’t be going for holidays there next August either. 
The idea of sitting in some hotel for 14 days and paying high fees for the pleasure of doing so, is not something she would even consider. 

If they were allowed to travel direct from the airport too their R&R farm in Nakhon Sawon and do the quarantine there, she said she’d consider that, if her parents could visit them there for the quarantine period, but that’s not likely. 
If things do calm down and if travel restrictions are eased, (both big if’s) it’s more likely we’d bring most of her family over to the UK for a 6 month visit instead. 

Hey Ho, never mind. It’ll soon be Christmas and we can have some nuts. 🤣

For me, and for many other guys, its the requirement for CV19 cover that will stop my return. Any type of travel insurance is almost impossible for 75+

Until they relax this requirement, older travellers will be barred from returning. For years now the Thai insurance industry has been pushing for compulsory travel insurance and it looks like they have a foot in the door! 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

there will come a moment when it will be a buyers market.

Here in Bali, about 75% of the places (bars, pubs, restaurant, souvenir shops) are closed. Make that 90% in Kuta, the "nightlife area"

But of the places still open, none is offering discounts and they manage to survive with the (few) expats plus some locals on the weekends.

The owner of the resort I live in, told me she is not interested in local (Indo) tourist as they will try to get 50% discount and there is no way she will accept that.

Surprising thing is that I see many closed places being renovated, and new one build. Of course labour is very cheap now, so for somebody who has cash available it is a perfect time to buy, renovate or build and then just wait.

Anyway, renewing my yearly visa this month and if one day it get really bad here, plenty enough countries in the world as I always say. Only problem now is not a great time to explore them.....

It's a pity my kids won't be able to come over for Xmas, but we'll live with that.

Very happy we bailed out of HKG at the right time, that's for sure. Sure miss a bit the Wanchai livestyle, but regulary in life you have to know when to change course. Enjoy while it last, then move on. And NEVER regret the "previous" place.

There is always a next one. Same for women / girls.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, biggles said:

For me, and for many other guys, its the requirement for CV19 cover that will stop my return. Any type of travel insurance is almost impossible for 75+

The insurance required to re-enter the country is available for those up to 99 years of age and the cost does not increase with age.  It's no good for general health/medical/travel insurance, but it gets you in the country if that is your aim.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

On 10/10/2020 at 2:10 PM, Esco said:

For those stuck outside Thailand, you're not missing much lol. 16023137739382177442363386298766.jpg

Just the opposite I think .... I was down in Thong Lo and Ekamai last week ( BKK )  .. went to a couple clubs and these places were just "packed" with beautiful gals ... there were huge lines to get into these clubs that went down the Soi ( plus it was pissing rain ) and the prices I was quoted was 1,000 all night from just about every gal I talked to ....

There are a lot of gals not working now .... restaurant workers, shopping mall workers, hotel workers, etc. ...  seems like almost everyone has been "hit" here due to the Wuhan virus .... and the pain isn't going to go away any time soon. 

Went to Pridi the next night and the same ... gals everywhere ... same prices I was quoted 1K all night ....

And none of these gals was your average gal from the likes of Nana or Soi Cowboy ...

• Like 3

On 10/20/2020 at 8:12 AM, lazarus said:

Arrive in hot steamy Bangkok and put on a plastic suit...not.

Probably there to set up a scam call center.

My exact thought when looking at that photo. I even marvel at the BIB wearing long sleeved uniform shirts. I'll be slowly walking along the soi or Beach Rd, sweating like a whore in church when coming up on a couple of them and these guys are acting like no big deal, uniforms immaculate, can't even detect any perspiration on their face.

1 hour ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

Just the opposite I think .... I was down in Thong Lo and Ekamai last week ( BKK )  .. went to a couple clubs and these places were just "packed" with beautiful gals ... there were huge lines to get into these clubs that went down the Soi ( plus it was pissing rain ) and the prices I was quoted was 1,000 all night from just about every gal I talked to ....

There are a lot of gals not working now .... restaurant workers, shopping mall workers, hotel workers, etc. ...  seems like almost everyone has been "hit" here due to the Wuhan virus .... and the pain isn't going to go away any time soon. 

Went to Pridi the next night and the same ... gals everywhere ... same prices I was quoted 1K all night ....

And none of these gals was your average gal from the likes of Nana or Soi Cowboy ...

Despite how the girls USE TO scoff at 1,000.....With careful shopping 1,000 can buy a respectable bag full of groceries....

Edited by fforest
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

I posted a picture because of the shite weather while I was stuck in ASQ mate nothing more. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Mr. Smooth said:

My exact thought when looking at that photo. I even marvel at the BIB wearing long sleeved uniform shirts. I'll be slowly walking along the soi or Beach Rd, sweating like a whore in church when coming up on a couple of them and these guys are acting like no big deal, uniforms immaculate, can't even detect any perspiration on their face.

The BIB do sweat, even when they are in the top ranks. 
My FIL sweats when he’s sat in front of our log burner in a UK winter. 

I always get him to make toast over the fire, that gets him sweating. 🤣

• Haha 1

On 10/22/2020 at 4:16 PM, KWA said:

and the cost does not increase with age. 

Do u have a link please? The one I have seen advertised is definitely age related and upto 75

Edited by biggles
Typo

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, fforest said:

Will the madness ever stop?

Single Entry Tourist Visa to Thailand now requires foreigners to show funds of 500k THB

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1191656-single-entry-tourist-visa-to-thailand-now-requires-foreigners-to-show-funds-of-500k-thb/

I don’t see a problem with that for people that are looking for 60 days.

I assume the 30 day arrival visa isn’t affected?

6 hours ago, fforest said:

Will the madness ever stop?

Single Entry Tourist Visa to Thailand now requires foreigners to show funds of 500k THB

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1191656-single-entry-tourist-visa-to-thailand-now-requires-foreigners-to-show-funds-of-500k-thb/

Another idiot had a great dream .....

500 k plus volonteering for 2 weeks in jail, at your expense....

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Skalliwag said:

I don’t see a problem with that for people that are looking for 60 days.

I assume the 30 day arrival visa isn’t affected?

I guess you did not read the requirements.....Thats 17,000 dollars in your bank for 6 months plus the loooong list of previous requirements.....This is for a 2 month tourist visa....If this is per person you would need 2 million baht to bring a family of 4 to Thailand on a Tourist visas....

Cant wait to see what they are cooking up for the 30 day.....

Edited by fforest

36 minutes ago, karon steve said:

I can't understand why anyone would jump through all these hoops to come to Pattaya when there is little open and the whole place looks rundown and dirty now unless they had family waiting for them.

I didn't dare to say it .....

But yes, no way. Havent seen my kids since last Christmas, but no way any of us goes through this shit. We'll just wait it out.

And going through it just "to visit" .....🙈🙈🙈🙈

Now, if one wants to reunite with his family and STAY in Thailand, thats probably the only valid reason.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fforest said:

I guess you did not read the requirements.....Thats 17,000 dollars in your bank for 6 months plus the loooong list of previous requirements.....This is for a 2 month tourist visa....If this is per person you would need 2 million baht to bring a family of 4 to Thailand on a Tourist visas....

Cant wait to see what they are cooking up for the 30 day.....

Considering Canada wanted to se 300,000 baht in my nieces account ,plus a sponsorship letter from me for a Toruist visa for her to come here,I’d say.....touché.

Guess they are finally sick of the broke blokes going and not being able to support themselves.

• Haha 1