Tourist Visa -USA Citizen

Planning to apply for the 60 day Tourist Visa for USA citizens. 

I will apply by mail to the Thai Consulate in Los Angeles. 

My flight will have a return date of 90 days out. (plans are to extend my stay by 30 days, go to Jomtien Immigration for an additional 30 day extension). 

Since, I plan to take the 60 days and extend once for a total of 90 days: my question

...they require a copy of flight itinerary....they will then notice that my ticket return is not within the 60 day period, will they naturally assume I plan to stay/apply for the 30 extra days or do I need to include a letter explaining my intentions?

Or will this sort of thing complicate/deny my tourist visa?

I think you may have other difficulties with this at the present time, but that is for another thread.

A friend of mine had a similar problem; on checking in with the airline before he left UK the length of his stay was queried.  He was required to sign a form indemnifying the airline from any costs should he be refused admission to Thailand.

I have travelled a fair bit during the past few years; never on my entry to Thailand have I been asked for proof of a departure flight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Info 1

As @john luke posted, you'll definitely have problems on check in, but not on entering Thailand. If during your 60 day stay you have plans to travel to another country, purchase that ticket ahead of time so you can show proof to the US airline that you have plans to leave Thailand before the 60 day visa is up.

If you don't have such plans, then either purchase the cheapest non-refundable ticket you can find and never use it, or purchase a refundable ticket that you can cancel once you're in Thailand.

Edited by forcebwithu
  • Thanks 1

Some Thai Embassy's have advised people not to book air tickets until they have the OK from the embassy that they will allowed into the country.

A copy of this was posted elsewhere a while ago.

Might be an idea to check with the Thai Embassy first ?? 

Edited by Zeb

20 hours ago, RimmerMan said:

The only foreseeable way for travelers until March-May 2021 is an Elite Visa.

Where does this timetable come from?  I've read variations ranging from later this year to 2022.

8 minutes ago, RimmerMan said:

They're all from the same source - a web broadcast given by Deputy Governor at the Tourism Authority of Thailand, Chattan Kunjara Na Ayudhya a few weeks ago.

In the same broadcast he said ". . . . as of now, no discussion on timeline has been taken regarding reopening of the country to inbound or outbound leisure travel" which means to me the given timescales were just his thoughts or opinions and nothing official.  He could be right, but when I read your earlier post I thought you had seen something definitive.