BBC has banned Rule Britannia and Land of Hope and Glory

nampla69

18 minutes ago, john luke said:

Meanwhile .... some real news 

The families of low-paid frontline NHS and social care workers who die from coronavirus will be stripped of eligibility for welfare benefits if they receive a payout under the government’s Covid-19 compensation scheme, it has emerged.

Under the NHS and Social Care Coronavirus Life Assurance Scheme, the £60,000 lump sum breaches capital limits rules for most benefits, meaning that the recipient would unable to claim universal credit, housing benefit or pension credit.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/aug/21/uk-families-bereaved-by-covid-19-lose-eligibility-for-welfare-benefits?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

• Sad 1

The whole world seems to have gone mad- North London Paddy outraged at Rule Britannia et al being abolished🤔 . Have to agree with disgusted of Archway here

Not sure what to believe in this story, even Boris is questioning if the story is even true. 

Edited by Lemondropkid
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Each generation has it's identity eroded by way of changing historical normality.

The BBC have the worlds best record for catering to minorities and deliberately upsetting anyone white and middle class, it's as if being British is an offense in todays society. I doubt a white middle aged male would get an interview with the BBC because they don't' "represent the true face of the multicultural Britain". Let them stop it, and when proms are empty next year they can blame everyone and label them racists with a self satisfied taxpayers grin on their smug faces.

I remember people kicking off when it was not referred to as a "blackboard" in school but a "chalkboard". I also remember the banning of "baa baa black sheep" due to racist connotations. We've recently had left wing hand wringing liberal councils remove the word "Christmas" and replace it with "Winter festival". I remember the lefties celebrating when "golliwogs" were effectively banned.

OK, so you can argue the deliberate misrepresentation of blacks in our society as charicatures (golliwogs) is pretty wrong. It is, there's really no place for that kind of stuff. That's coming from a former racist and 80's rent a thug. I had the lot, white T shirt, red braces, 12 hole tan Dr Martens (before the lesbians made them a fashion icon) and tight, marble bleached jeans. It was 1985, I was 15 and on the receiving end of numerous good hidings from our Jamaican colonial friends at the time. As time went on and the good hidings increased, I came to realise that racism works both ways. the problem was, I thought I was on the winning side. I may well have been, but I was actually on the wrong side.

I haven't been with a white girl since 1990. I was with a Jamaican girl for 4 years and it was epic. I was welcomed into the family, given a free holiday, welcomed into the extended family and they remain friends up until this day. The relationship ended on good terms, but very suddenly and sadly.They were, up until meeting Mrs butch, the best years of my life and I actually felt ashamed of my previous actions. Here were black guys, people I'd been indoctrinated to hate, the same kind of guys who had given me a kicking, were offering me a beer, food, inviting me into their house, making me feel welcome and offering me genuine friendship. Talk about learning a lesson. i'm actually a better person now for being a hardcore racist in the past. Odd how things change isn't it?

However, our view of racism today is possibly not as we , as a generation of 40+ year olds imagine it would be. It's not just about offenses against blacks, everyone and anyone is jumping on the racism bandwagon, to a point, even virtue signalling white people are doing it. It's about getting instagram likes, thumbs up on FB and a warm feeling of achievement and inclusion from online friends. The true meaning of racism has been devalued because the left have been using it as a weapon of choice to silence anyone with remotely opposite views to their own. That is the irony, as the word "racist" becomes a label, it loses it's shock value, it loses its effect and it loses its meaning, and the people affected most by it are those on the receiving end of it. Ironic eh?

When "racism" stops being the buzz word of choice for the mealy mouthed Camden trendies, it will have already lost any value in society, and the Police will treat a race crime like rape, something to be put on the back burner, and that is the real tragedy here. The genuine victims of racism won't matter anymore, because the middle class liberals would have had their pound of flesh from the word and it's connotations, and will have moved onto the next discussion topic they can talk about over a smashed avacado and shrimp starter followed by foi gras and steamed purple broccoli in their 4 bedroom Camden townhouse.

Edited by Butch
  • Like 4
  • Great Info 2

1 hour ago, Butch said:

Each generation has it's identity eroded by way of changing historical normality.

The BBC have the worlds best record for catering to minorities and deliberately upsetting anyone white and middle class, it's as if being British is an offense in todays society. I doubt a white middle aged male would get an interview with the BBC because they don't' "represent the true face of the multicultural Britain". Let them stop it, and when proms are empty next year they can blame everyone and label them racists with a self satisfied taxpayers grin on their smug faces.

I remember people kicking off when it was not referred to as a "blackboard" in school but a "chalkboard". I also remember the banning of "baa baa black sheep" due to racist connotations. We've recently had left wing hand wringing liberal councils remove the word "Christmas" and replace it with "Winter festival". I remember the lefties celebrating when "golliwogs" were effectively banned.

OK, so you can argue the deliberate misrepresentation of blacks in our society as charicatures (golliwogs) is pretty wrong. It is, there's really no place for that kind of stuff. That's coming from a former racist and 80's rent a thug. I had the lot, white T shirt, red braces, 12 hole tan Dr Martens (before the lesbians made them a fashion icon) and tight, marble bleached jeans. It was 1985, I was 15 and on the receiving end of numerous good hidings from our Jamaican colonial friends at the time. As time went on and the good hidings increased, I came to realise that racism works both ways. the problem was, I thought I was on the winning side. I may well have been, but I was actually on the wrong side.

I haven't been with a white girl since 1990. I was with a Jamaican girl for 4 years and it was epic. I was welcomed into the family, given a free holiday, welcomed into the extended family and they remain friends up until this day. The relationship ended on good terms, but very suddenly and sadly.They were, up until meeting Mrs butch, the best years of my life and I actually felt ashamed of my previous actions. Here were black guys, people I'd been indoctrinated to hate, the same kind of guys who had given me a kicking, were offering me a beer, food, inviting me into their house, making me feel welcome and offering me genuine friendship. Talk about learning a lesson. i'm actually a better person now for being a hardcore racist in the past. Odd how things change isn't it?

However, our view of racism today is possibly not as we , as a generation of 40+ year olds imagine it would be. It's not just about offenses against blacks, everyone and anyone is jumping on the racism bandwagon, to a point, even virtue signalling white people are doing it. It's about getting instagram likes, thumbs up on FB and a warm feeling of achievement and inclusion from online friends. The true meaning of racism has been devalued because the left have been using it as a weapon of choice to silence anyone with remotely opposite views to their own. That is the irony, as the word "racist" becomes a label, it loses it's shock value, it loses its effect and it loses its meaning, and the people affected most by it are those on the receiving end of it. Ironic eh?

When "racism" stops being the buzz word of choice for the mealy mouthed Camden trendies, it will have already lost any value in society, and the Police will treat a race crime like rape, something to be put on the back burner, and that is the real tragedy here. The genuine victims of racism won't matter anymore, because the middle class liberals would have had their pound of flesh from the word and it's connotations, and will have moved onto the next discussion topic they can talk about over a smashed avacado and shrimp starter followed by foi gras and steamed purple broccoli in their 4 bedroom Camden townhouse.

butch,

my ex is black and she and her 4 sisters all had golliwog dolls as kids,my ex still had hers when I last seen her 36years ago,

bet she still has it,she would brush its hair and it would sit pride of place,on the dresser watchings us f**k and fight, when we lived in Sydney,Newcastle and the Gold Coast ,Miss Golli girl went right along with us,i am sure the fucker had a curse on me,she would stare at me with those beady wee eyes,and the eyes follow me around the room.

hope the bloody things hair is falling out

NO not the ex,she had hair down to her arse,but cut it short as soon as we split for good.

regards

grayray

• Thanks 1
  • Great Info 1

9 hours ago, Sangsom said:

Reckon we should just invade and take the rest of the spuds over, that’ll sort out the border issue for Brexit.....

Who are you kidding? 

You lot are being invaded by a bunch of sub saharans on rubber dinghies. 

Just you pray at night that Putin doesn't decide to have a pop.

That really would be game over. 

🤣

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dcfc2007 said:

Who are you kidding? 

You lot are being invaded by a bunch of sub saharans on rubber dinghies. 

Just you pray at night that Putin doesn't decide to have a pop.

That really would be game over. 

🤣

They nicked the idea from the Irish who were one of the first wave immigrants to ponce from the English 🤪

1 hour ago, misteregg said:

Nambs, you are naughty. The BBC never banned “Land of Hope and Glory” or “Rule Britannia”. They just don’t have any singers this year. All
Back to normal next year.
God bless the Beeb!

A would that it were so. They have a reduced chorus but plenty of singers. One or two would do to be honest. I guess my original point was meant to highlight how a truly tiny minority of what are now termed 'activists' can dominate our lives and culture. People are desperate to be 'woke' and so many have left their brain cells behind. Youngsters under 25 I get BLM is trendy hip and makes people feel good about themselves and boosts their one self esteem by virtue signalling to their peers.

I personally like Land of Hope and Glory more and Jerusalem should be our new national anthem rather than some unintelligible rap by Stormy.

Meanwhile from the BBC itself young Egbert: PS I met that cellist Sheku Kanneh-Mason once lovely family and useless fact of the day I know but read on....

One BBC insider suggested this year’s programme should be called the “Black Lives Matter Proms” amid repeated calls to drop links with the British Empire.

Last month the BBC columnist Richard Morrison suggested Rule, Britannia! and Land of Hope and Glory were  'crudely jingoistic' and called for both to be axed.

In his column in the BBC Music Magazine, he claimed it would be 'insensitive, bordering on incendiary' to chant the 'nationalist' songs this year in the wake of the Black Lives Matter movement.

Instead, he said, the 'toe-curling embarrassing anachronistic farrago of nationalistic songs' should be replaced with songs “reflecting the attitudes of 21st-century performers and audiences, not their Edwardian predecessors”.

Closely associated with the Navy, Rule, Britannia! originated from a poem by the Scottish playwright James Thomson, and was set to music by the composer Thomas Arne in 1740.

Critics have taken issue with the anthem’s nationalistic message, and the line “Britons never, never, never shall be slaves”.

The BBC Proms will begin live performances on Friday with a piece by black British composer Hannah Kendall.   

Live soloists will include Anoushka Shankar, daughter of the late sitar star Ravi Shankar, the cellist Sheku Kanneh-Mason, the pianist Isata Kanneh-Mason and the Japanese-born pianist Mitsuko Uchida.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nampla69 said:

A would that it were so. They have a reduced chorus but plenty of singers. One or two would do to be honest. I guess my original point was meant to highlight how a truly tiny minority of what are now termed 'activists' can dominate our lives and culture. People are desperate to be 'woke' and so many have left their brain cells behind. Youngsters under 25 I get BLM is trendy hip and makes people feel good about themselves and boosts their one self esteem by virtue signalling to their peers.

I personally like Land of Hope and Glory more and Jerusalem should be our new national anthem rather than some unintelligible rap by Stormy.

Meanwhile from the BBC itself young Egbert: PS I met that cellist Sheku Kanneh-Mason once lovely family and useless fact of the day I know but read on....

One BBC insider suggested this year’s programme should be called the “Black Lives Matter Proms” amid repeated calls to drop links with the British Empire.

Last month the BBC columnist Richard Morrison suggested Rule, Britannia! and Land of Hope and Glory were  'crudely jingoistic' and called for both to be axed.

In his column in the BBC Music Magazine, he claimed it would be 'insensitive, bordering on incendiary' to chant the 'nationalist' songs this year in the wake of the Black Lives Matter movement.

Instead, he said, the 'toe-curling embarrassing anachronistic farrago of nationalistic songs' should be replaced with songs “reflecting the attitudes of 21st-century performers and audiences, not their Edwardian predecessors”.

Closely associated with the Navy, Rule, Britannia! originated from a poem by the Scottish playwright James Thomson, and was set to music by the composer Thomas Arne in 1740.

Critics have taken issue with the anthem’s nationalistic message, and the line “Britons never, never, never shall be slaves”.

The BBC Proms will begin live performances on Friday with a piece by black British composer Hannah Kendall.   

Live soloists will include Anoushka Shankar, daughter of the late sitar star Ravi Shankar, the cellist Sheku Kanneh-Mason, the pianist Isata Kanneh-Mason and the Japanese-born pianist Mitsuko Uchida.

WTF has happened to our country (UK)? It's gone PC mad nowadays. Really pisses me off that "they're" wiping out our history. It is what it is, or more correctly, it is what it was.

Sure, things change and thinking changes. But that doesn't detract from what things were, just 20 or 30 years ago.

On another thread I put up a couple of clips of a British Sitcom from the 70's/early 80's. There's even a few lines in that which on hearing there's no way they could broadcast nowadays. It was a bit of fun in a sitcom FFS.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

But it didn’t actually ban them as your headline suggests. Very naughty boy.
  • Like 1

Funny post full of thick right wing neanderthals who could not remember the words to Happy Birthday.

Always slightly dubious of RT however.......said much about the Navally poisoning??  I doubt it.

RT is Russia's Fox News btw.

It all seems such a shame that equally thick sociology professors and "activists" can undermine our freedoms of thought, liberty and speech so easily.

Most people are now scared if they have a job to say one wrong word and that cannot be right.

How can it be wrong in a philosophical sense to say "Of course Black Live Matter ......and if so All Lives Matter"

But in 2020 you are told the moronic slogan you cannot speak as this is White Privilege ............... 

• Like 2
  • Great Info 1

Good to see that in France even at highest level, we still keep freedom of speech as a golden rule.

https://m.dw.com/en/charlie-hebdo-to-reprint-prophet-muhammad-cartoons-as-terror-trial-begins/a-54783660

https://m.dw.com/en/frances-macron-refuses-to-condemn-charlie-hebdo-cartoons-of-prophet-muhammad/a-54788078

The president defended citizens' right to freedom of speech. His remarks came as the satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo, the target of a massacre by gunmen in 2015, said it was republishing cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad.

Edited by Thai Spice
  • Like 2

And instead of banning names or songs, and tearing down statues, a much more sensible approach is to use them to teach history.

You can't erase the bad things of history, but you can use them to teach the future generations to avoid the same mistakes.

I found 2 N.Y.T. articles who write (in English) about the approach France is taking.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2018/10/30/world/europe/france-nantes-slave-trade-museum-memorial.amp.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/24/world/europe/france-george-floyd-racism-slave-trade.html