She Could Not Read

code_slayer_bkk

I met a gal from Laos last night .. needless to say what occurred ... but, we were talking and I went to have her read something on the net ....

In all of her shyness she told me she could not read .. she is 24 ...

I thought to myself WTF .... how can someone not read in the 21st century .. I guess I live in the dark ages .... how the f**k can someone have a fruitful life not being able to read ....

I told her to enroll in a school and I would pay the fee if she was willing to learn ....

For me, I cannot imagine not being able to read ..... I guess we are lucky in peculiar ways ....

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Freee!! said:

I am not that surprised she couldn't read English (or Thai for that matter). I would have enough problems learning to read Lao.

She could not read Laos, Thai or English .. at least that what she said to me ....

Who knows.. but, I "read" her face when she said to me .. and I believe she can't .....

I think that is fucking sad if true ...

Plus, I was fucking serious when I offered to pay her fee for a school to teach her ... at least get the basics ...

Edited by code_slayer_bkk
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

She could not read Laos, Thai or English .. at least that what she said to me ....

Who knows.. but, I "read" her face when she said to me .. and I believe she can't .....

Plus, I was fucking serious when I offered to pay her fee for a school to teach her ... at least get the basics ...

Props to your for stepping up and offering to give her a chance. Respect.

I used to teach filipino kids basic English when we lived there, I then ended up running an evening class for the parents. One hour a day every couple of days is not much to give, I'm not saying you have to, but if you actually have the time, you could teach her some yourself. Start as you would teaching a young kid but with an adult approach. It is very difficult to start with but once they grasp the basics, it gets very rewarding.

38 minutes ago, Butch said:

Props to your for stepping up and offering to give her a chance. Respect.

I used to teach filipino kids basic English when we lived there, I then ended up running an evening class for the parents. One hour a day every couple of days is not much to give, I'm not saying you have to, but if you actually have the time, you could teach her some yourself. Start as you would teaching a young kid but with an adult approach. It is very difficult to start with but once they grasp the basics, it gets very rewarding.

I just don't have the time .. I just got 4 new hospitals to deal with plus the other 24 ... banging good code takes a little time

Thanks -- but, I will help anyone that is serious about learning .. that is the least I can do ... you gotta give back in life !

That is what I think as well .. get the basics and everything just comes natural after that ....

Just makes me a little sad .. we all get involved in our "bubble" now and then and just don't realize

She is a really nice gal ... I will do my best to try to "push" her

• Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, code_slayer_bkk said:

I just don't have the time .. I just got 4 new hospitals to deal with plus the other 24 ... banging good code takes a little time

Thanks -- but, I will help anyone that is serious about learning .. that is the least I can do ... you gotta give back in life !

That is what I think as well .. get the basics and everything just comes natural after that ....

Just makes me a little sad .. we all get involved in our "bubble" now and then and just don't realize

She is a really nice gal ... I will do my best to try to "push" her

Best thing you can do Bro, you've already stepped up, it's up to her now with maybe a little bit of persuasion 🙂

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Butch said:

Best thing you can do Bro, you've already stepped up, it's up to her now with maybe a little bit of persuasion 🙂

Lol ... I can be one persuasive f**k ... LOL

I go back home to the South tomorrow  .. I will research good beginning schools for English .. and get her enrolled when I go back to BKK in 2 weeks ... for sure !@

It is good to help where you can ... we will see if she is serious

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

I met a gal from Laos last night .. needless to say what occurred ... but, we were talking and I went to have her read something on the net ....

In all of her shyness she told me she could not read .. she is 24 ...

I thought to myself WTF .... how can someone not read in the 21st century .. I guess I live in the dark ages .... how the f**k can someone have a fruitful life not being able to read ....

I told her to enroll in a school and I would pay the fee if she was willing to learn ....

For me, I cannot imagine not being able to read ..... I guess we are lucky in peculiar ways ....

Khun J

that is bloody sad Joe,hope she takes up your offer.

regards

grayray

In my professionnal environment which was construction I was always carefull with the reading / writing thing. Indeed in many countries I worked, construction.workers were often rather from poor origin and I had several cases of having daily workers unable to write or fill forms.

But I put myself in an embarassing situation once in Martinique. HO asked me that have my guys fill some form. Seeing an old worker giving his form to his mate for him.to.fill it, I went "Ho, each fills his own form !"

My chief welder wispered in my ear "JM, this guy doesn't know writing" ...

Shit, I looked stupid. 

• Sad 1

Good friend of mine had a Laos GF for a couple of years. She too was illiterate.

Suspect Laos has a very poor education system and what exists is out of reach for the very poor. Sad state affairs for a nation that can not, or will not make basic education available to all.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dyslexia doesn't know what century it is. Schooling doesn't help in many cases, as dyslexia is often caused by how the brain interprets letters.

One of my employees, is dyslexic. He is an electrician went through school, and technical college but still reads worse then a 8 year old, he just prefers having things told rather than reading it.

If she is dyslexic and not iliterate then your money for standard schooling might be wasted as it won't help. 

Edited by Lirchenfeld
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Lirchenfeld said:

Dyslexia doesn't know what century it is. Schooling doesn't help in many cases, as dyslexia is often caused by how the brain interprets letters.

One of my employees, is dyslexic. He is an electrician went through school, and technical college but still reads worse then a 8 year old, he just prefers having things told rather than reading it.

If she is dyslexic and not iliterate then your money for standard schooling might be wasted as it won't help. 

Yea Bro .. I have no clue ... but, it is worth a shot me thinks ...

I know absolutely nothing about dyslexia ...  

Ah the real Lao girls.....had one from Windmill in 2009, God was she nice , I giggled when she handed over her passport to the desk lady at the hotel. 

What was the name of that place, guys? Great service, they always checked on you before handing back her ID, to make sure your date didn’t rob you. MrDK has told me about it. Near the Avenue, but it was bought and renamed by Chinese investors a while back. Christ I’m getting Alzheimer’s .....really enjoyed my time there

27 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

Ah.....Pattaya Bay Resort! 

No wonder I sucked at taking exams in my school days

In college ... I paid someone to take exams for me with the subjects I hated ( soft sciences bullshit ) .... no one ever noticed ..... the math and econ classes I never missed ....

You gotta do what you gotta do ....

• Haha 2

On 8/25/2020 at 6:56 PM, code_slayer_bkk said:

I believe you and think you were correct when you say you read her face, you come across as a guy who can read others pretty well.

I'm sure you can easily cover a little education for the lady but i'd be happy to chuck in some $ too if it would help.

Illiteracy is a curse that needs to be wiped out.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

In college ... I paid someone to take exams for me with the subjects I hated ( soft sciences bullshit ) .... no one ever noticed ..... the math and econ classes I never missed ....

You gotta do what you gotta do ....

I would struggle going back to school...

Hell, when I see the names of some subjects my son has in UNI 

"Discreet mathematics" WTF ? Something like undercover maths ? 

Had to Google it up ... Not that I really understood the explanation 🙈🙈🙈🙈

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

I wonder if you really would?

School was always a struggle for me and I so envied the kids who seemed so much more academically gifted than me. I was stubborn and that made up the difference.

The kids these days, at least those that have ready access to the internet, have no idea how lucky they are as compared to our generation. I can still remember when an exchange History teacher set us a project for the school holidays based upon a quotation from some obscure author I had never heard of let alone the quotation. I had to get two buses to a library to find both the book that the quotation was taken from and then try to work out what it meant. These days just Google the quotation and find the essay written for you. Top and tail it; move a few paragraphs around use alternative phrases and get an A+ for form work.

I know it is not as simple as I have described but I absolutely know the internet would have made life so much easier for me if it had been available when I started school.

But I still doubt if I would have got more than 11% in my final French exam. 🤣

• Like 1

I was not too bad in math, history and geography because it are things that always interested me, and still does.

I hated chemistry and biology and got horrible ratings.

Another that I didn't give a shit about was music.

Living in Belgium at that time, Dutch (Flemish) was the main language and was the class language, French the second one (mandatory) and English third one. For the third one the choice was English or German. All 3 were mandatory.

Later I moved to France and French became my language #1, English second and Dutch third.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Shaksey said:

I believe you and think you were correct when you say you read her face, you come across as a guy who can read others pretty well.

I'm sure you can easily cover a little education for the lady but i'd be happy to chuck in some $ too if it would help.

Illiteracy is a curse that needs to be wiped out.

A great -  generous offer Bro .. but, no thanks  .... it is a tiny bit of baht .. I already looked into it ... 15K for an 8 week term ( 3 hours per day for 5 days ) ... I think that may get her some basics ... I will got to the school and enroll her September 7 ... then it is up to her !   Plus, the school is pretty close to where she lives ...

This is the first gal I have ever meet that admitted she could not read ... maybe there were others ... I don't know .... probably ... it is a pretty horrible thing to admit though ...

I am happy to help her -- and it is not for free pussy ...

I just don't understand .. in this day and age .. how people still cannot read .. it makes me a little sad to be honest ... as I said before .. we are lucky ...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

Hell, when I see the names of some subjects my son has in UNI 

"Discreet mathematics" WTF ? Something like undercover maths ? 

Had to Google it up ... Not that I really understood the explanation 🙈🙈🙈🙈

My undergraduate degree in college was math ... they didn't have computer sciences degrees when I went to college .... they came a couple years after I graduated ... math is very logical once you get the basics .... I was a trig whiz kid ... 

Then my graduate degree I got in Economics ... I love this shit .. ( I should have went to work on Wall Street ) but, ended up a programmer ....

I hated the soft sciences like psychology, etc. ... you can get a masters degree learning that shit on the streets .. it doesn't take a rocket scientist

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

I was not too bad in math, history and geography because it are things that always interested me, and still does.

I hated chemistry and biology and got horrible ratings.

Another that I didn't give a shit about was music.

Living in Belgium at that time, Dutch (Flemish) was the main language and was the class language, French the second one (mandatory) and English third one. For the third one the choice was English or German. All 3 were mandatory.

Later I moved to France and French became my language #1, English second and Dutch third.

You are lucky languages came easy for you ... I have always envied people that could learn new languages at the drop of a hat ....

I was getting pretty good with French when I lived in Paris ... I was there about 1 1/2 years ... but, now I have just about forgotten all of it ...

Thai .. jeez .. how many years have I been here and still cannot speak fluently ....

I guess we all have out strengths and weaknesses .. mine is certainly NOT being able to speak another language ....

25 minutes ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

You are lucky languages came easy for you ... I have always envied people that could learn new languages at the drop of a hat ....

I was getting pretty good with French when I lived in Paris ... I was there about 1 1/2 years ... but, now I have just about forgotten all of it ...

Thai .. jeez .. how many years have I been here and still cannot speak fluently ....

I guess we all have out strengths and weaknesses .. mine is certainly NOT being able to speak another language ....

To be honest Code, except the basic stuff to be able to handle my teams I never bothered to learn any other languages than the 3 above.

Arabic when working in Egypt and in the M.E., but Arabic is rather easy and natural for us French...

Korean later on, forgot it all. I have my best friend, married to a Korean since 30+ years, never did an effort to learn it. Now retired he goes twice a week to a language school, but as he says its more about keeping busy than being really interested.

Thai, lived 10 y in BKK,  the basics to control my workers, but never really put an effort in. My ex speaking fluent French, why would I ? French was the language at home. And I considered it was better to teach my staff some English as it could help them in a future carreer.

8 years in HKG, and except 3 or 4 words, never even tried to learn Cantonese. I lived with a Honkie girl, she tried to teach me a few words every evening as well as well as Majong. After 2 months she gave up, told me "you're simply not interested, you don't do any effort". And she was spot on.

3 y now here in Bali and I can barely say "good morning". But it has never been a problem in daily life. 

But hey, I don't give a hoot ! 

1 hour ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

I imagine you're pretty good at languages. JavaScript, C++, Assembler, COBOL, SQL... :default_cheers:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 1