Collection for Phil's Wife & son

tommy dee

1 hour ago, Thinkingallowed said:

You have six months to apply for this. Whether you are successful or not depends on which other benefits you are entitled to. Before Phil's death any benefits the family got were in his name and Puang is going through the process of applying for them now. If she applies for the bereavement benefit before successfully obtaining the qualifying ones she may appear to be ineligible.

Or at least this is what we have been lead to believe. Unfortunately due to Puang's present status in the country the funeral directors were unwilling to do anything until £1000 deposit was paid and want full payment before the day of the funeral.

This fund wasn't originally intended to pay for any funeral but events outside of the forum let Puang down badly and we stepped in as I honestly couldn't see another way around this for her. Quite a lot of the costs to the funeral directors had been racked up before Puang was aware of her situation and to be honest once professional funeral directors are involved the price of this funeral is pretty much as low as it gets.

Hopefully she will receive this bereavement benefit and she can use the money for her and Thomas just like the original idea Tommy had. Presently there is enough to pay for all funeral costs and £300 for me to give to Puang and Thomas.

I will have a chat with her later to make sure she is getting some good independent free advice. I'll also try to pursuade her to talk to the lawyer @tommy dee so kindly arranged.

I've tried to avoid discussions about this and the reason why it became necessary for us all to help pay for the funeral as I know it would bring up a lot of emotions and cause a shit storm. To be absolutely clear it was noone connected to this board who let Phil down but by Christ did that person let themseves down.

Well done mate, i've no doubt his wife and son will need all the help they can get sorting things out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Huge respect for all involved.

Very gratifying to know that when the excrement hits the whirlygig, assistance will be forthcoming.

I'm curious, what are Puang's and Thomas's plans for the future ? Are they planning on staying in the U.K. or returning to Thailand - post Covid ?

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Thinkingallowed said:

Puang's plan is to stay in the UK and is applying for indefinite leave to remain which she should get no problem being the widow of a British citizen and mother of a British child.

That’s going to cost her £2400, what a nightmare for the poor lass 😒

• Surprised 1

It's a fantastic effort by everyone involved. I was pleased to contribute and it's just great to see what a bunch of guys like us lot can achieve.

Congrats to everyone and thanks @Thinkingallowed and @tommy dee for organising it.

What we need to make sure of is that Puang receives continued emotional support. At times like this, after a sad loss, all the activity can deflect the mourning process. All of a sudden, when the formalities are complete, it can suddenly hit what's actually happened. Mentally that's the most difficult time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2