Hua Hin

Krapow

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 2:32 PM, Binlid said:

Mark Wein eating lobster at this Night market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQlWzIpZIFM

Nice. I've never done that there. Will have to try. 

Roughly..... how much did he pay ? Does the rice and veggies come with or extra ?

Would prefer to go later in the evening when there are less flies to swat away.

Edited by Glasseye

Nice. I've never done that there. Will have to try. 

Roughly..... how much did he pay ? Does the rice and veggies come with or extra ?

Would prefer to go later in the evening when there are less flies to swat away.
Think he paid 1500 bht inclusive Glass.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

I really enjoyed my recent visit to Hua Hin.

The beach there is fantastic and was very quiet when we visited. The sky bar at the Holiday Inn has an incredible 360 degrees viewing deck and great cocktails, when the chinks cleared off after their 15 minute flag chasing stinkfest, it was almost empty.

We visited mrigadayavan palace which was stunning and well worth a visit, we also went to rajabhakti park, personally I thought it was gawdy and like something from North Korea. It went down a storm with the TG who I was with.

The naughty nightlife area is not worth visiting alone for, well not in my opinion. Soi Bintabaht is about 300m long, with maybe 2 dozen or more bars, and the two nights we visited we seen maybe 200 people on the entire soi. The bars were nice, the people were friendly and the drinks were affordable, but really not worth going there if you are looking a bunk up.

Hua Hin gets a huge thumbs up from me.

Edited by dcfc2007
  • Thumbs Up 2

I haven't been to HH since 2014 but have fond memories of that trip and the lovely Secrets hostess who accompanied me.

They have some great seafood restaurants there of course and the night market in the center was a good place to eat. I did enjoy the small bar area around Soi Bintabaht. The girls were friendly enough and, although I was not in the market, I'm sure a chap can always find a pleasant companion for the evening.

To visit some of the local attractions you are best hiring a car and driver either by the half day or the full day. I don't recall prices but I remember it seemed reasonable enough at the time. Most hotels can arrange that for you or you will see plenty of places around town offering car service.

Huay Mongkol temple was interesting. It has the world's largest statue of Luang Phor Thuad (spellings vary) 'a legendary southern Thai monk' and the statue is impressive. I do have my own photos somewhere but just nicked this one off the net for convenience:

Like dcfc above we also visited Mrigadayavan aka Maruekatayawan Palace, very peaceful and attractive. 

We also visited the sheep farm which Rompho Ray provided photos of earlier in this thread. I could take it or leave it but it is a popular spot and most seem to enjoy it. 

So that is another big thumbs up for Hua Hin 👍

Statue-of-Famous-Monk-Luang-Phor-Thuat-at-Wat-Huay-Mongkol-Buddhist-Temple-Hua-Hin-Thailand_333370595.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

I really enjoyed my recent visit to Hua Hin.

The beach there is fantastic and was very quiet when we visited. The sky bar at the Holiday Inn has an incredible 360 degrees viewing deck and great cocktails, when the chinks cleared off after their 15 minute flag chasing stinkfest, it was almost empty.

We visited mrigadayavan palace which was stunning and well worth a visit, we also went to rajabhakti park, personally I thought it was gawdy and like something from North Korea. It went down a storm with the TG who I was with.

The naughty nightlife area is not worth visiting alone for, well not in my opinion. Soi Bintabaht is about 300m long, with maybe 2 dozen or more bars, and the two nights we visited we seen maybe 200 people on the entire soi. The bars were nice, the people were friendly and the drinks were affordable, but really not worth going there if you are looking a bunk up.

Hua Hin gets a huge thumbs up from me.

Also went there, was quite tranquil, but i thought nothing special. Though they were 'doing it up'.

Yea, like Hua Hin, different buzz, different type of tourists than Pattaya in the main i thought.

Could stay there long term i reckon, while doubt i could in Pattaya.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Atticus said:

I haven't been to HH since 2014 but have fond memories of that trip and the lovely Secrets hostess who accompanied me.

They have some great seafood restaurants there of course and the night market in the center was a good place to eat. I did enjoy the small bar area around Soi Bintabaht. The girls were friendly enough and, although I was not in the market, I'm sure a chap can always find a pleasant companion for the evening.

To visit some of the local attractions you are best hiring a car and driver either by the half day or the full day. I don't recall prices but I remember it seemed reasonable enough at the time. Most hotels can arrange that for you or you will see plenty of places around town offering car service.

Huay Mongkol temple was interesting. It has the world's largest statue of Luang Phor Thuad (spellings vary) 'a legendary southern Thai monk' and the statue is impressive. I do have my own photos somewhere but just nicked this one off the net for convenience:

Like dcfc above we also visited Mrigadayavan aka Maruekatayawan Palace, very peaceful and attractive. 

We also visited the sheep farm which Rompho Ray provided photos of earlier in this thread. I could take it or leave it but it is a popular spot and most seem to enjoy it. 

Statue-of-Famous-Monk-Luang-Phor-Thuat-at-Wat-Huay-Mongkol-Buddhist-Temple-Hua-Hin-Thailand_333370595.jpg

I visited this place as well, I'm not a huge fan of these super statues, a bit gawdy and distasteful in my opinion. There's actually a movement amongst monks in Thailand to stop these sort of giant buddhist statues and shrines, they are concerned they are only being built in order to attract tourists and money.

7 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

I visited this place as well, I'm not a huge fan of these super statues, a bit gawdy and distasteful in my opinion. There's actually a movement amongst monks in Thailand to stop these sort of giant buddhist statues and shrines, they are concerned they are only being built in order to attract tourists and money.

The grounds are very nice at Huay Monkol, a nice lake area to walk around as well but I did avoid walking under the elephants unlike the ladies who wanted to get close to their rather large schlongs.

1 hour ago, Horizondave said:

The grounds are very nice at Huay Monkol, a nice lake area to walk around as well but I did avoid walking under the elephants unlike the ladies who wanted to get close to their rather large schlongs.

I never found the gardens of Huay Mongkol that impressive tbh. I found the grounds at Mrigdavayan Palace to be nicer. Plenty to see and do in the area, personally I found hua hin to be one of the best maintained places in Thailand. Maybe that is to do with its status as a royal retreat. 

Edited by dcfc2007

1 minute ago, dcfc2007 said:

I never found the gardens of Huay Mongkol that impressive tbh. I found the grounds at Mrigdavayan Palace to be nicer. Plenty to see and do in the other, personally I found hua hin to be one of the best maintained places in Thailand. Maybe that is to do with its status as a royal retreat. 

Khao Wang is stunning also although in Petchaburi, can't miss it from the road as you drive through the city. The 3 buildings on the 3 peaks of the hill are beautiful,  can take small cable car to get to it, stunning views of the surrounding areas.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Steelers4Life said:

Hua Hin is on my short list to set up a rental base camp condo when I retire in a couple of years. Loved the summers I spent there.

Sounds great Steelers.

I have only been to Hua Hin once and I really, really enjoyed it. It just seemed to me that the city and its environs were much better maintained, clean and orderly than Pattaya.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/21/2020 at 12:30 AM, Atticus said:

We went to this temple on the day it opened back in 2003 I think it was. 
As with all these new temples, it was packed and some of it wasn’t quite finished, but as a day out with the family, it was ok. 👍 

Hua Hin itself has grown beyond recognition in the last 20 years, somethings for the better, others not so much. 
Still prefer it to most other cities in Thailand though. 

Edited by KhunDon
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...