Hua Hin

Krapow

13 hours ago, Horizondave said:

I would recommend Hua Hin to anybody, the coastline from Cha Am down south past Khao Takiab south of Hua Hin contains many great hotels. Life doesn't all revolve around the Hilton although for single guys I doubt they would need anywhere else.  So much to do around the city.

I did a Hua Hin blog on another forum, maybe I will get Phil to lift it.  A lot of good info and links, some may be out of date but pertinent details for those traveling in the area.

Dave, Do you think it is fair to say that if you visit HH you need wheels?

5 hours ago, Bazel said:

Dave, Do you think it is fair to say that if you visit HH you need wheels?

As Mike said it is easy to use Tuk Tuks, they are relatively cheap compared to the same services in such cities as Phuket and Koh Samui.

Easy to walk around the main areas and along the long beach.  Depending also on what standard of hotel you stay at you may find a shuttle service into town, you may need to take a taxi or Tuk Tuk back to your residence if a late owl.

Bikes are relatively cheap to hire, I know of deals at 2000 baht a month but no more than 3000 baht.  Not sure if you drive or ride bikes.

Getting to Hua Hin is also relatively easy by bus from Swampy or Pattaya. You also have the boat to get from Pattaya to Hua Hin across the gulf.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Khao Takiab, in the middle between Hilton and Khao Tao. About 6km further down the beach

2018khaotao01.jpg

Beach walk, takes about an hour from Khao Takiab

2018khaotao02.jpg

Always wondered what that blue building is. Condos for rent/sale

2018khaotao10.jpg

Fishing village

2018khaotao05.jpg

2018khaotao06.jpg

2018khaotao07.jpg

Looking back, Khao Takiab

2018khaotao08.jpg

Wat Khao Tao and their turtle

2018khaotao12.jpg

2018khaotao09.jpg

2018khaotao11.jpg

You can go up to the Budda statue

2018khaotao13.jpg

2018khaotao14.jpg

2018khaotao15.jpg

2018khaotao16.jpg

2018khaotao17.jpg

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Khao Takiab, in the middle between Hilton and Khao Tao. About 6km further down the beach

2018khaotao01.jpg

Beach walk, takes about an hour from Khao Takiab

2018khaotao02.jpg

Always wondered what that blue building is. Condos for rent/sale

2018khaotao10.jpg

Fishing village

2018khaotao05.jpg

2018khaotao06.jpg

2018khaotao07.jpg

Looking back, Khao Takiab

2018khaotao08.jpg

Wat Khao Tao and their turtle

2018khaotao12.jpg

2018khaotao09.jpg

2018khaotao11.jpg

You can go up to the Budda statue

2018khaotao13.jpg

2018khaotao14.jpg

2018khaotao15.jpg

2018khaotao16.jpg

2018khaotao17.jpg

Great pics Colonel!

There is a mangrove walk at the tourist centre to Sam Roi Yot which is well south of Hua Hin but worth a visit, occasionally see the dusky langurs on the roofs and in the trees.  There are plenty of places to see the fishing boats.....around the end of the beach at Khao Takiab on the inlet channel to the sea where there are also some nice seafood restaurants. You can see fishing boats on the river near Pak Nam Pran as well but not many tourists get that far south of HH.

1 hour ago, nadia said:

anyone been on the mangrove trip and to see the fishing boats just outside hh

Under that name, the destination is outside my humble knowledge. Will be the first to go there and see.

Fishing villages, is not the one just under Khao Takiab a good represent what it is?

2018takiab01.jpg

2018takiab02.jpg

2018takiab03.jpg

2018takiab04.jpg

Families of the fishermen, have shops along the road

2018takiab06.jpg

Fresh catch every day

2018takiab05.jpg

Fine customers, my wife claims she had seen HiSO and heroes from her Thai soapies buying there

2018takiab10.jpg

Call me a pervert, but intentionally I forfeited the luxury hotels, wanted to be right there, Khaoi Takiab. Ate fish and seafood a week, lunch and dinner.
And the accommodation was on par with the Sheraton, twice bigger, brand new. It was 1,500 THB a day for the apartment. Only breakfast at the Sheraton is 700THB per person. And no Indian spectacular weddings that encroach the common area.

As for the fishing boats, those that do not moore at the canals, are left to look after themselves during low tides. Rails on both sides, the boat can lean and rest and come upright when the seas come up. Quite inginuine, me thinks. 

2018takiab07.jpg

At the end of the day, that is the same fleet that dots the horizon at night. A lovely sight, without them, the sea would be a black hole.

2018takiab08.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Under that name, the destination is outside my humble knowledge. Will be the first to go there and see.

Fishing villages, is not the one just under Khao Takiab a good represent what it is?

2018takiab01.jpg

2018takiab02.jpg

2018takiab03.jpg

2018takiab04.jpg

Families of the fishermen, have shops along the road

2018takiab06.jpg

Fresh catch every day

2018takiab05.jpg

Fine customers, my wife claims she had seen HiSO and heroes from her Thai soapies buying there

2018takiab10.jpg

Call me a pervert, but intentionally I forfeited the luxury hotels, wanted to be right there, Khaoi Takiab. Ate fish and seafood a week, lunch and dinner.
And the accommodation was on par with the Sheraton, twice bigger, brand new. It was 1,500 THB a day for the apartment. Only breakfast at the Sheraton is 700THB per person. And no Indian spectacular weddings that encroach the common area.

As for the fishing boats, those that do not moore at the canals, are left to look after themselves during low tides. Rails on both sides, the boat can lean and rest and come upright when the seas come up. Quite inginuine, me thinks. 

2018takiab07.jpg

At the end of the day, that is the same fleet that dots the horizon at night. A lovely sight, without them, the sea would be a black hole.

2018takiab08.jpg

Top stuff, Colonel. Interesting, fast becoming one of my fav posters 👍

7 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Top stuff, Colonel. Interesting, fast becoming one of my fav posters 👍

I agree good poster.

I've been in hua hin for the last few months. Good mix of the easy life, plenty of bars I go out a few times a week, decent supermarkets and the quality of the farangs are a lot better than Pattaya.  You won't find British food on every corner and there is an obvious lack of issan food compared to Pattaya but it's fine for me.  

Elway69 and his golfing mates were here a few weeks ago they had a great time met up with ajsp as well. 

Living the dream.

1 minute ago, DumbDucker said:

I agree good poster.

I've been in hua hin for the last few months. Good mix of the easy life, plenty of bars I go out a few times a week, decent supermarkets and the quality of the farangs are a lot better than Pattaya.  You won't find British food on every corner and there is an obvious lack of issan food compared to Pattaya but it's fine for me.  

Elway69 and his golfing mates were here a few weeks ago they had a great time met up with ajsp as well. 

Living the dream.

Sounds good, Mike!

My plans originally were to retire in Thailand, somewhere by the sea, probably Sattahip area as the wife has family there, and we've been quite a  bit and like it. 

Then I changed, thought Tenerife or Southern Spain. Wife says she doesn't mind, she'll go where I want, she likes travelling about, exploring, once a year in Thailand is fine for her.

Then I read Dave and a few others, yourself included, going on about Hua Hin, how it's nice, Dave said he could live there, had lived there. I've never been, so going for a week in January. Yea it's only a week I know, but see if I can get a feel for  the place. I know I wouldn't want to live in Pattaya, even with the changes suiting my lifestyle now. No way could I live rural, even Ayutthaya where the wife's family are from, which is understood and accepted. 

See what happens. What is it they say, if you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans ...

1 minute ago, Krapow said:

Sounds good, Mike!

My plans originally were to retire in Thailand, somewhere by the sea, probably Sattahip area as the wife has family there, and we've been quite a  bit and like it. 

Then I changed, thought Tenerife or Southern Spain. Wife says she doesn't mind, she'll go where I want, she likes travelling about, exploring, once a year in Thailand is fine for her.

Then I read Dave and a few others, yourself included, going on about Hua Hin, how it's nice, Dave said he could live there, had lived there. I've never been, so going for a week in January. Yea it's only a week I know, but see if I can get a feel for  the place. I know I wouldn't want to live in Pattaya, even with the changes suiting my lifestyle now. No way could I live rural, even Ayutthaya where the wife's family are from, which is understood and accepted. 

See what happens. What is it they say, if you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans ...

Only downside I see is it's a little far from the airports in Bangkok compared to Pattaya.  It's well connected but just takes 3-4 hours to get here.  It's a well respected place by Thai's and they don't allow go go bars.

As I hinted at I am not here for the nightlife but it's available, was drinking beer and playing pool last night with off duty police until early morning. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Oh, you know each other.
Still, why i st the character who has nothing to say interfere with the posts?

It's a forum, different characters, and things can get picked up wrong or misconstrued online. 

Don't sweat it Colonel, just post away and enjoy the board. We're both enjoying what you post, as no doubt are others. 

Things can and have got a little mixed up at times, but I don't see any malice, just misunderstandings. 

Crack on mate ...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Been there (Sam Roi Yot National Park) last month, can post with pictures. maybe tomorrow.

Had a wonderful time at Sam Roi Yot National Park years back. Did you happen to take that steep hike up the hill to Phraya Nakhon Cave? Pretty interesting that cave. 

Phrayanakhon Cave.jpg

temple.jpg

• Thanks 1

Prachuap Khiri Khan is a very well presented place to visit, the bay is lovely, have eaten at many of the sea front restaurants.

Get on to the base, drive across the runway (when the planes are not landing) and visit the home of the dusky langurs. Meant to be docile and tame but don't hold on to your food for too long, they will be on your head, your back and grabbing the food from your hands. 

Many fine beaches south of Hua Hin.

Dolphin bay is another one and if you have kids an afternoon or night at Dolphin Bay resort is fun.

• Thanks 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Fair chunk of drive, 100km south of Hua Hina is Prachuap Khiri Khan

2018aomanao00.jpg

2018aomanao01.jpg

The place has a military base, seems more as a ceremonial than functional, 3 beautiful bays and beaches far nicer than Hua Hin.

2018aomanao02.jpg

The day was a lousy, must be much better when clear

2018aomanao03.jpg

Weekday, few visitors

2018aomanao04.jpg

Cheap food hall, cheap taste

2018aomanao05.jpg

Weekdays, you can have the beach for yourself

2018aomanao06.jpg

5km long, I reckon

2018aomanao07.jpg

2018aomanao08.jpg

This is where Japanese attacked Thailand, December 8. 1941 (one day before Pearl Harbour) 

2018aomanao09.jpg

Monument Battle of Prachuap Khiri Khan

2018aomanao10.jpg

After 30 hours of fighting, sudden truce (not called surrender) the defenders could not believe anyone could order them to stop figting

2018aomanao11.jpg

Victorious Thais

2018aomanao12.jpg

and disciplined Japanese. 

2018aomanao13.jpg

Caught by surprise, Thais tried to bomb the attackers from this airfield. Japanese shot them down , all 3 planes before they could do anything

2018aomanao16.jpg

2018aomanao14.jpg

2018aomanao15.jpg

From this barrack Thailand gave the only WW2 victims - 42 soldiers. Thais say 120 Japanese died, some say over 400.

2018aomanao17.jpg

Hill behind which families of the officers found protection

2018aomanao18.jpg

Climbing is restricted, certain days, medical staff check your blood pressure and tell if you are fit enough to be admitted (some stretches you need a rope to hold). The view is reportedly worth the effort.

2018aomanao19.jpg

2018aomanao20.jpg

Cheap, formerly military only hotel, now open to anyone (1,500 THB).

2018aomanao24.jpg

The place boasts "3 bays city" name. The military base was one of them.

Second bay, the city itself

2018prachuap01.jpg

Shallow sea, same as Hua Hin, the pier goes 500m into the sea

2018prachuap02.jpg

2018prachuap24.jpg

This view point is always open, not hard to climb, the temple of monkeys (never seen that many, Khao Takiab temple is 0.001% of this by number of monkeys)

From there, you can see all 3 bays

2018prachuap27.jpg

2018prachuap29.jpg

2018prachuap30.jpg

Monk cadet enjoying the view

2018prachuap34.jpg

Setting for some celebration

2018prachuap35.jpg

Yes, a gala dinner, the proceedings go to support the temple of monkey king

2018prachuap37.jpg

Monkey is deemed a clever animal, legends say it can assume personality of people

2018prachuap38.jpg

City official who gave us a short commentary was wearing city symbol shirt, 3 bays and pineapple

2018prachuap39.jpg

Top stuff again, Colonel!

Might just go here on a week day in January when staying in Hua Hin. 

Khao Sam Roi, national park.

Had to cut this trip down to 4 hours (had to meet my friend living permanently at Hua Hin for lunch), left our apartment 7am, back 1pm.

Khao Sam Roi Yod National park.

Some 1 hour drive from Hua Hin, to the south.

2018samroi00.jpg

2018samroi01.jpg

There are eight attractions, we did only two. One can spend a day there, I wish we could. 

2018samroi02.jpg

The first one, a viewpoint

2018samroi03.jpg

In different seasons, different time of a day, what can be seen from up there

2018samroi04.jpg

Always loved to see the fields

2018samroi05.jpg

To climb up, the warning is not for nothing. A terrible and demanding climb

2018samroi06.jpg

No climbing after 15:30, an officer there to turn you back

2018samroi07.jpg

To climb up, it is a horror. No wonder travel agencies do not have that in their schedules. 

2018samroi08.jpg

My daughter and myself are fit, we can do that. Even in the heat

2018samroi09.jpg

Takes 30 minutes to climb up 395m, the track is more suitable for the goats rather than for the humans

2018samroi10.jpg

Then, the prize. A fantastic view, albeit the weather was not great

2018samroi11.jpg

The pics on the net are from different seasons, different time of the days, we have what we have. There is a river/canal, later we will go for a cruise

2018samroi12.jpg

After tis, we go for the cruise, almost to kiss the drager boat 

2018samroi13.jpg

The view to the other side

2018samroi14.jpg

2018samroi15.jpg

The panel at the starting point, likely an old picture, shows something like Play Boy theme park

2018samroi16.jpg

It is not there now. If anyone knows what it was, please tell me

2018samroi17.jpg

Bye bye our view point. Descend comes next

2018samroi18.jpg

A boat for the tourists, 500THB per ride, . A couple (Philipinos) were waiting there for someone to show up. It worked out 100THB per person.

2018samroi21.jpg

The rock we conquired.

2018samroi22.jpg

2018samroi23.jpg

Thre women hunting for shells (when it comes on your plate, you think a little where and how the shells came from)

2018samroi24.jpg

Fishing village

2018samroi25.jpg

2018samroi26.jpg

Until th eriver mouth, there is the sand drencher boat, moving the sands

2018samroi27.jpg

Look back where we have started

2018samroi28.jpg

Will go again, to see the caves. Xmas this year or next year.

• Thanks 3