Have you put the heating on in the UK yet?

Sangsom

I came home from fishing tonight, wet through from packing up in the rain, having stripped off and put all my clothes into the washing machine I went and took a shower.

My living room was at 18 degrees and I thought fook that and upped the thermastat to 20. I am well warm now sat next to a big rad in my dressing gown.

Fu*k being cold.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Haha 3

I'd like to have..

My fucking boiler went this morning and the plumber can't fit a new one till Monday 🙈😱🤣

Under a quilt with a hot water bottle .

Luckily i've got a seperate building with an electric shower or I would be in the shit (or stinking of it lol)

Edited by roomark
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, roomark said:

I'd like to have..

My fucking boiler went this morning and the plumber can't fit a new one till Monday 🙈😱🤣

Under a quilt with a hot water bottle .

Luckily i've got a seperate building with an electric shower or I would be in the shit (or stinking of it lol)

Better now than mid winter mate, still not nice methinks.

• Haha 1

Popped it on Sunday, first time for must be 5 months so pretty surprised. 

just put it back on today ( Wednesday) to warm through and dry my sons PE Kit, but pretty sure it’s now a daily thing .... EDF will do ok 🤣

8 minutes ago, Lantern said:

Never had central heating, for the 29 years,  I was in the UK.

Used to wake up to ice on the inside of my bedroom windows from the condensation.

I have woken up to ice on my fishing rods many times, but fu*k being cold in my own home!

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, boydeste said:

That's a good point, I am thankful that my parents could afford central heating.

My family were not so lucky. Mainly due to my father who came back from the war with his lungs stuffed which made him have most winters off work with asthmatic bronchitis. These were the days of smog in the air from all the coal burning. He was a spring maker by trade. 

1d_1_b.jpg

• Great Info 1

Do you still get a cold weather allowance in the UK?

My mate Sweatie once got paid one with his state pension here in Thailand because he just happened to have made a trip back to Scotland which included the date in September which triggered off the payment.

8 minutes ago, Jambo said:

Do you still get a cold weather allowance in the UK?

My mate Sweatie once got paid one with his state pension here in Thailand because he just happened to have made a trip back to Scotland which included the date in September which triggered off the payment.

Yes what a strange rule, you only have to be in the UK on the stipulated date in September to qualify for the payment of 200GBP and then return to Thailand and use the dosh towards your aircon leccy bill.

• Like 1

It's getting much cooler here in the town but down right cold in the mountains. We have already snow mid September which is unheard of.  Tomorrow it will be 25c for the high and 4c for the low. Haven't turned on the heat yet as it's just too damn early but I do have a really good wood burning fireplace and have used it a few mornings to take the chill off. Like some of you, I also refuse to be cold in my own home.

Came home on Saturday after 6 months in LOS. The boiler pilot light had gone out and it took me 3 hours to get the damned thing to fire up and stay on. Finally had hot water and tested the heating then turned the room stat down. Tee shirt and sweat pants still ok as I can't go out for another 9 days.