Why have you chosen Thailand as your retirement home ?

Pumpuynarak

I'd be interested to hear why expats have chosen Thailand as their retirement home, i don't find it the most welcoming country on the planet and that situation has got worse over the 14 years i've lived here but it has certain attractions that just might appeal to the single farang lol

I'm here primarily because i have a Thai wife with an ailing mother who she would not leave to live in another country. If i had my 1st choice we'd be living in Spain up in the mountains on the coast.

What about you ?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

And this is a small lesson for the younger BM's thinking about their retirement. There are many old sayings that apply, but remember John Lennon's song to his son, "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." And remember that things change and there's nothing you can do about it, so don't kick yourself if things don't work out like you'd wanted, but equally don't congratulate yourself too much if they do work out nicely, a lot of it is still entirely down to luck.

Brilliant story and fantastic advice👍 Shall have to do my best to follow it now 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

Brilliant story and fantastic advice👍 Shall have to do my best to follow it now 🙂

Thanks, and I wish you all the best for a long and happy future.

I've no idea how old you are, but perhaps you're young enough that you missed Baz Luhrmann's "song" over 20 years ago, "Class of 99 (wear sunscreen)". There's a lot of sage advice there, and as I've got older so more and more of it has resonated with me, from looking after your knees to getting to know your parents. The one thing that I never quite followed was the sunscreen bit, but now that I'm a regular at Dr. Anna's skin cancer clinic in Bangkok Hospital Pattaya I've finally grasped that one too, and apply the SPF50 liberally, lol.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

I've no idea how old you are, but perhaps you're young enough that you missed Baz Luhrmann's "song" over 20 years ago, "Class of 99 (wear sunscreen)". There's a lot of sage advice there, and as I've got older so more and more of it has resonated with me, from looking after your knees to getting to know your parents. The one thing that I never quite followed was the sunscreen bit, but now that I'm a regular at Dr. Anna's skin cancer clinic in Bangkok Hospital Pattaya I've finally grasped that one too, and apply the SPF50 liberally, lol.

I have always loved that song, a few wise words in that one methinks!

Thanks for telling your story, I enjoyed the read.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

Sadly I'm not that young (53), but as far as I know I'm in pretty good shape. Had a spell in hospital when I was 48 that made me realise that I shouldn't be complacent about my health.Thanks for the video, it's the first time I've heard Baz Luhrmann's song- it's full of nuggets in. Some are too late for me to act on, some a timely reminder🙂

I exercise outdoors these days, run on the grass/trails and always wear sunscreen 🙂 But I'm in North London, it's not that hot and pavements are busy, best off down the park.

Thanks again for sharing your story and the advice- good luck to you👍☘️☘️

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Mr. Smooth said:

Toy Boy....so who is going to play you in the movie of your life?

How about Liam Neeson? I hear he has some very particular skills that might do you justice on the big screen!

Actually, looking back at all the things that didn't go as planned and how I tried to respond to them, I think the best person to play me would probably be Mr. Bean, lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Interesting video about retirement homes in Thailand...

Thailand’s Last Resort
We explore why families from Europe are sending their elderly relatives to care homes in Thailand for their final years.

Edited by lazarus
  • Like 2

I haven't retired ....

I came here to develop a gigantic data mart for a very large group of hospitals ( 40 ) here ... not for pussy or the beaches ... I had plenty of pussy in HKG where I was living ...

It took me 2 years to complete the data mart and the user interface ( UI ) and after that the hospital group still kept giving me large projects for all kinds stuff ... they are a super good bunch of people to work with ... give me all the tools ( compilers, data bases and CPU's ) ... leave me alone .... let me work wherever I want .... they just want the job done correctly ....

One thing kinda led to another .... ended up buying a place to live .... and all of the other shit that comes along with it ... just got into a pretty good grove here ... getting to the sea every chance I got ... then after about 10 years here of total chaos ( LOL ) .... I met Beach gal ...

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 4

I guess that except for a few exceptions, who came to Thailand for professional reasons, for the vast majority it is because they came on holiday, fell in love in a bar and from there on it's history. The most adventurous ones pushed it to Issan ....

Some will not like my post, but it is simply the thruth.

Amen.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

I guess that except for a few exceptions, who came to Thailand for professional reasons, for the vast majority it is because they came on holiday, fell in love in a bar and from there on it's history. The most adventurous ones pushed it to Issan ....

Amen.

Bali / Jungle ..... same , same but different 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Just pointing out your lifestyle is similar to those you seem to have a feeling of superiority over ....

you live in the sunshine , with a younger partner , who obviously isn't with you for your personality 😉 

Mmmmm...

And she is with me for my Latin lover qualities......  don't be jalous. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Thai Spice said:

Amen.

Yea, came on holiday first time for an Narcotics Anonymous Convection (no joke), didn't know what to expect about Thailand TBH. 

But yea, didn't fall in love, just found the place lifechanging in that i soon bought a small place, decided i wanted to retire there and basically shag myself to death. 

But that soon got boring even just after a few years of trips, and i had either an epiphany or mid life crisis :default_biggrin: 

Decided i wanted a wife and family.

Now, no, don't think i'd like to retire in Thailand, or if i did, it would only be in somewhere like Hua Hin or down Sattahip way, and probably 'long trips' keeping on my base in the UK. So not retire as such. Be the same if i did that in Spain or wherever. Probably 'long trips' keeping the UK base for a few reasons. 

But that's just me, everyone's situation and views are different, and that's fine. 

• Like 5
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, lazarus said:

I have a little place in the Isaan sticks...built it when my daughter was born on her grandparent's property. She lived there for a few years as a baby before school started (in the US).

Usually, we go there in the summer when school's out. The people are genuine. They treat me well. We don't lack for anything. I enjoy it for visit.

When I'm a very old fart I'll be happy to stay there and watch the rice grow and the cows come & go... from my back door. 🤠

20130514-IMG_0248.jpg

20130514-IMG_0234-2.jpg

Lazarus, 

For me living in a remote rural area in a 3rd world country is a nono. Lack of everything. 

Plus, I want to be near the sea. 

People in the jungle village are nice, all family is nice, the Missus house is OK, but no way I can bear it there more than 2 weeks.

But to each his own. 

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Lazarus, 

For me living in a remote rural area in a 3rd world country is a nono. Lack of everything. 

Plus, I want to be near the sea. 

People in the jungle village are nice, all family is nice, the Missus house is OK, but no way I can bear it there more than 2 weeks.

But to each his own. 

I agree with you on that. As long as I can have fun...I will continue to do so...

My little Isaan rancho is not as "remote" as it once was. Everything I could ever need as an "old old" man (if I live that long) is close by...within minutes.

Back in 06-09 I lived at the beach on an island in south Thailand...enjoyed it. Got sick of the tourists in the dry season, though.

...don't live in Isaan now though, as I have a nice place 10 minutes from the beach here in California, and my daughter is getting the best education & lifestyle I can provide.

But the world & priorities change after a man hits  80+...my little one will be through with college by then...just want a good cup of coffee, cold beer, a massage, and a fast internet connection...(+AC in Isaan.) 😉 

Edited by lazarus
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/1/2020 at 4:36 PM, Toy Boy said:

I'm far from retirement age, but do remember that song, although at the time didn't quite get the message. Twenty years later a lot already resonates and I've a long way to go. 

Thanks again for sharing your story. 

I've moved here for both professional and personal reasons, with a Thai wife in tow who would have rather stayed in the Netherlands lol. We'll just have to see how things work out from hereon. 

Cheers

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2