Wifi Booster - Do they actually work ?

Pumpuynarak

I thought the extender was just to increase the area that the wifi reached, not to boost the signal strength. If you have 25mbps signal I dont think it will magically go to 25mbps but you may get a signal upstairs for example 

I bought one and my signal is still 25mbps BUT I do see a marginal improvement in the number of bars on my wifi upstairs. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

They do work at extending the range of the Wi-Fi, they just receive the signal and then repeat it out again. 
I had 2 (upstairs and outside) but found the connection to them was slower than if connected to main router. 
They are ok but I was advised of a better solution, installed a Ubiquti AP ( Access point) to the router, really powerful signal, reaches everywhere on the property at high speed. Works much better for us. 

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

On 10/5/2020 at 9:56 AM, fygjam said:

Before you start trying to improve something you need to know what you're trying to improve.

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/homedale-wlan-monitor-watch-log-wifi-signal/

3 might be the best bet because it #doesn't install anything, it's just a stand alone .EXE.

There are similar apps for phones but I somehow doubt your phone could run any of them.

Thanks for that, I had a lookie mate and its way above my Com level, i just don't understand the meaning of what they are saying but i know someone who can help (BM Miko) lol

On 10/4/2020 at 12:22 AM, Pumpuynarak said:

Has any one got one/using one and do they actually work ?

Yes, I use one and it works well.  The house where I'm living now has heavy wooden floors.  More significantly, a previous owner sound-isolated the three upstairs bedrooms because he slept during the day and worked at night.  His routine clashed with the sleeping habits of other family members and sound-proof  bedrooms were the answer.

Unfortunately, the sound-proofing interferes with WiFi signals.  When my niece moved in, she solved the problem by upgrading her router and using a booster.  Without an upgrade to the router, a booster wouldn't have helped much on its own, she said.

In general, the answer to your "Do they actually work?" question is Yes, No, Maybe.  It depends a lot on the strength of the signal that your router emits as well as the layout and construction of your home.  Here's an article that explains it in non-technical terms. Do Wi-Fi boosters really work?

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil
  • Great Info 1

Used a Belkin one before ( approx £20) as our walks are 18” thick so necessary. Worked ok but last Year switched to BT as our Broadband provider and they provide a Smart Hub aka a booster disc, which shoots a decent signal everywhere and allows wireless connectivity to TV’s / Computer / laptop / phones etc. V. Impressed 

image.jpeg

Edited by AJSP
  • Great Info 1

• 1 year later...

Just got these,we don't have fibre so needed a boost to the bedrooms,seems to work ok & easy to install & start up.

Tenda Nova MW5G Mesh WiFi System - Up to 3500 sq ft Whole Home Coverage, WiFi Router and Extender Replacement, Gigabit Mesh Router for Wireless Internet, Works with Alexa, Parental Controls, 3 Pack

Edited by coxyhog