Airbus 220

Golfingboy

Had to fly to Montreal to see Dad again, usually prices here are more than double less than 7 days out, but not now....very cheap even the day before. So I booked with Air Canada, was my first time on a A-220, the last 20+ years it’s always been A319, 320, 321. I had booked an aisle seat on the “2” side of the 2-3 configuration, and my neighbour decided switch rows right away for more room(plane was 50-60% full). So ended up having a whole row to myself, and more room than Business Class....I know most people use points, but full fare was about 800% more than economy. Obviously you are paying a huge premium more space now, it used to be 400%. Cruising altitude was reached fast, only 29,000 feet, but we reached 585 mph at one point, fastest flight I’ve ever had home, way under 4 hours. Beverage trolley passed, but no hot meal service, mandatory masks of course, and we were given a packet with water and sanitizer. Snapped a few quick pics of cabin and Montreal. I don’t know why I’ve hardly heard of this model aircraft, but I really enjoyed the flight, and if you guys are ever on a 220, I’m sure you will too

Anyway, reason I came down was Dad’s getting worse, he was out of breath from walking 10 steps. Was thinking his lung cancer is taking over, he’s been on an expensive chemo pill for 10 months. Turns out the tumours haven’t grown, he just had a half gallon of chest fluid that needed to be drained, that was crushing his lungs. They’re doing it in 2 sessions, and I’m picking him up tomorrow. But he has to be less stubborn about getting help, twice now he waited weeks before getting help, almost dying both times. I’m happy to know I’ve got him around for a while still, his 75th is next spring.....going to have a party for sure

🤞

3FDED183-5933-4FA9-A2A3-66E213742D9C.jpeg

3F0D3090-A229-462E-991A-E0781969613D.jpeg

D191E471-8188-45EE-A7C8-06D0251B070C.jpeg

DB1436BF-BE1E-4C52-83B9-EEAF01623223.jpeg

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, galenkia said:

You like your streets nice and straight. 😀

Yes and massive potholes too...one hit almost cost me a wheel bearing back here in July. But I made it 2300 miles back West and the wheel stayed on, so I’m good. Christ is flying ever faster......😂

• Thumbs Up 1

The A220 has from Airbus only the name, it's originally a Canadian product.

Half French now. Merçi Mr Trump !

The Airbus A220 is a family of narrow-body, twin-engine, medium-range jet airliners. The airliner was designed by Bombardier Aerospace and originally marketed as the Bombardier CSeries. Bombardier sold the CSeries airliner program to Airbus and it is now owned by Airbus Canada Limited Partnership, a joint venture between Airbus and the Quebec government's investment arm Investissement Québec.

• Great Info 2

28 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

The A220 has from Airbus only the name, it's originally a Canadian product.

Half French now. Merçi Mr Trump !

The Airbus A220 is a family of narrow-body, twin-engine, medium-range jet airliners. The airliner was designed by Bombardier Aerospace and originally marketed as the Bombardier CSeries. Bombardier sold the CSeries airliner program to Airbus and it is now owned by Airbus Canada Limited Partnership, a joint venture between Airbus and the Quebec government's investment arm Investissement Québec.

Merci monsieur. Bombardier is a big deal in Montreal, known many people who have worked for them, but have had some very poor years recently. Government has bailed them out, I think without it they would have closed up for good.....I think common shares that were once $40+ reached less than $1 before a resurgence 

Anyway, I liked the plane.....seems like smaller than A321, bigger than CRJ

Edited by Golfingboy

59 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

Merci monsieur. Bombardier is a big deal in Montreal, known many people who have worked for them, but have had some very poor years recently. Government has bailed them out, I think without it they would have closed up for good.....I think common shares that were once $40+ reached less than $1 before a resurgence 

Bombardier's train division is now French also.

Sold to Alstom, the manufacturer of the TGV (high speed train) 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-02-17/alstom-to-buy-bombardier-train-unit-for-up-to-6-7-billion

Edit : deal not yet completely done, but will be early 2021

Sale to AlstomEdit

In February 2020, Alstom agreed terms to buy the Bombardier Transportation division and signed a Memorandum of understanding to do so for between €5.8 billion and €6.2 billion. The deal requires approval by Alstom shareholders at a meeting to be held in October 2020 and approval by European regulators. Bombardier's major shareholder, Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec, had already agreed to the sale.[38][39][40] In July 2020, the European Commission approved the sale and it is expected to close in the first half of 2021.[41]

Edited by Thai Spice

On 10/4/2020 at 10:40 PM, Golfingboy said:

I don't know about the CRJ, but most likely you are right that the A220 is bigger than the CRJ. As mentioned above, the A220 was designed by Bombardier to be a bit smaller (narrower) than the A320 series and B737 series as Bombardier thought there was a nice spot in the market right in between. Apparently Airbus agreed, otherwise they would never have taken it over.