Immigration - why is nothing ever simple for me?

Jambo

I closed the account today.

My 90 days earned me exactly 2,350 baht in net interest.

Sai then spent 2,000 baht on dried squid to take back to Mae Sot.

Well I gave her 2,000 baht but there is two chances of getting any change. 🤣

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, KWA said:

Won't that screw you up next year when they want to verify the balance never went below 400,000 THB?

No.

Twice they have asked me "Why did you not use an Agent?"

They will not have to ask a third time.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, biggles said:

I remember when they introduced the new seeding rules they said it was meant to limit the use of agents 😁😁

Back in 2006 when I applied for my first Retirement extension everything was concluded the same day. The Immigration official who dealt with the processing is still around in Immigration to this day but no longer involved with visa's etc.

I had paid and all he had to do was return my actual passport but as he was about to do that his "Supervisor" sitting in the desk behind him said something to him so he started to swivel round on his chair and at the same time "returned" my passport by quite literally throwing it at me. It hit the table, then me and then fell on the floor from where it was retrieved by me. By then he was engrossed in conversation and I no longer existed.

That is what they think of us (expats) and nothing has changed to this day only become worse.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Jambo said:

Back in 2006 when I applied for my first Retirement extension everything was concluded the same day. The Immigration official who dealt with the processing is still around in Immigration to this day but no longer involved with visa's etc.

I had paid and all he had to do was return my actual passport but as he was about to do that his "Supervisor" sitting in the desk behind him said something to him so he started to swivel round on his chair and at the same time "returned" my passport by quite literally throwing it at me. It hit the table, then me and then fell on the floor from where it was retrieved by me. By then he was engrossed in conversation and I no longer existed.

That is what they think of us (expats) and nothing has changed to this day only become worse.

I have to say D each IO/Officer ime operates differently, some are just king size racist wankers who are in the wrong job whilst others could'nt be more helpful/accomodating.

My experiences here in Korat are very good and positive but Jomtien could always be a problem when i lived/could use Jomtien (Barry Kenyon days) in Patts. Maybe the office is just too busy and the officers are continually under pressure hence their poor attitude.

8 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

I have to say D each IO/Officer ime operates differently, some are just king size racist wankers who are in the wrong job whilst others could'nt be more helpful/accomodating.

My experiences here in Korat are very good and positive but Jomtien could always be a problem when i lived/could use Jomtien (Barry Kenyon days) in Patts. Maybe the office is just too busy and the officers are continually under pressure hence their poor attitude.

It is not at all one sided as they have to deal with some real scumbags from time to time who do none of us expats who try to get our ducks in a row any favours.

Nevertheless, my experiences over the last couple of years or so and feedback from friends who have also suffered just leaves me feeling that they are looking for any reason to find fault. They are also deliberately pointing us in the direction of dealing through an agent. Why would a different member of Immigration staff on consecutive years ask me directly "Why did you not deal through an agent?"

That is a rhetorical question. 😀

12 minutes ago, Jambo said:

hy would a different member of Immigration staff on consecutive years ask me directly "Why did you not deal through an agent?"

That is a rhetorical question. 😀

Probably because an agent knows the requirements, and will show up from the start with the right documents.

Maybe (?) also because it's easier to make some "arrangement" with agents than with individuals who may later complain about corruption.... It is unlikely an agent would bring any complain about that.... they would lose their business.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

They just create work for themselves. My mate had to return to Jomtien today with his under consideration amnesty stamp to extend to 26th, 31st or 30 Nov? He will only know Monday as he has to go back then to get his passport. That's 3 trips that should have been 1.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Some of the shit for brains, wife beater shirt wearing, shit in their pants, stumble bum losers I've seen in Jomtien immigration.... I can't blame those guys. What a fucking job they have !

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Some of the shit for brains, wife beater shirt wearing, shit in their pants, stumble bum losers I've seen in Jomtien immigration.... I can't blame those guys. What a fucking job they have !

Lol, ain't that the truth - when I went there for my last extension in March there was a guy in front of me that looked so seedy I thought to myself, if they can give him an extension I don't think I'll have any trouble myself...

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Jambo said:

It is not at all one sided as they have to deal with some real scumbags from time to time who do none of us expats who try to get our ducks in a row any favours.

Point taken but here in Korat and surrounding Isaan villages its married expats/retirement extensions they're mainly dealing with and these expats have in the main been here quite some time and are well known by the IO's, i think this issue helps build a relationship that is until they transfer the staff to another office !!! I've had the same lady IO deal with my retirement extension for the last 4/5 years and never had a problem with her even though i did'nt technically comply to the letter with the new requirements this year.

I also ALWAYS take wifey along and i find that helps tremendously, i just sit there smiling as wifey takes care of everything lol

• Like 1

On 10/17/2020 at 10:47 AM, Pumpuynarak said:

Point taken but here in Korat and surrounding Isaan villages its married expats/retirement extensions they're mainly dealing with and these expats have in the main been here quite some time and are well known by the IO's, i think this issue helps build a relationship that is until they transfer the staff to another office !!! I've had the same lady IO deal with my retirement extension for the last 4/5 years and never had a problem with her even though i did'nt technically comply to the letter with the new requirements this year.

I also ALWAYS take wifey along and i find that helps tremendously, i just sit there smiling as wifey takes care of everything lol

Indeed, indeed, indeed - Familiarity can provide some real benefits. That's why you always want to start out with a patient attitude and go in as prepared as possible. True with most things. That first impression is so important., with many things

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/16/2020 at 5:56 PM, rhodie said:

They just create work for themselves. My mate had to return to Jomtien today with his under consideration amnesty stamp to extend to 26th, 31st or 30 Nov? He will only know Monday as he has to go back then to get his passport. That's 3 trips that should have been 1.

Mate went back today to collect his PP. Stamped in until 31st Oct. Told to return on the 30th for the next stamp. 🙄