Big Snake & Other XL Creatures

lazarus

1 hour ago, lazarus said:

Is that you @Glasseye..?

433796595_7664405750258336_3469872173832604673_n.jpg

. . .

Cobra breeding season is here and alot of cobras is on the move.

If you have a cobra in your garden and want it removed you can give me a call.

I'll try my best to go catch it if there's time (also working monday to friday).

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=7664405590258352&set=gm.3677866139122269&idorvanity=1749132628662306

I was a tad hesitant to open this. But not so bad.

Why are you posting pics of my boyfriend ?

😚

Thais have been on to this for many centuries...

gnoo krapow

. . .

Snake Steak Could Be a Climate-Friendly Source of Protein

Pythons turn their food into meat pretty efficiently, a study finds, making them an intriguing alternative to climate-unfriendly cows

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/snake-steak-could-be-a-climate-friendly-source-of-protein/?utm_source=Live+Audience&utm_campaign=bb34fbb878-briefing-dy-20240318_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_b27a691814-bb34fbb878-51452476

Put aside your chicken cutlets and meatloaf and say hello to python curries and satay skewers. Some snake scientists think eating these reptiles—already customary or at least acceptable in parts of the world—might help lessen the damage our food choices have on the environment.

With some eight billion people on the planet today, all of whom require protein to stay healthy, finding new sources of these nutrients is a crucial issue. “The general conundrum we somehow need to solve is: Where do we get the appropriate amounts of protein for a still-growing global population without the big environmental footprint?” says Monika Zurek, a food systems scientist at the University of Oxford, who was not involved in the new research. Humans’ dietary staples, particularly those of Westerners, have serious consequences. The environmental impacts of cattle products such as beef are especially costly: the animals produce nearly 10 percent of the world’s greenhouse gas emissions, and growing food for them spurs deforestation. Pork brings a separate set of environmental hazards, notably water pollution from pig waste. The chicken industry faces similar issues.

But how do you get from the challenge of providing sufficient protein to farming pythons for meat? For Dan Natusch, a herpetologist at Macquarie University in Australia, the idea came about tangentially. He and his colleagues were working with existing commercial python farms in Vietnam and Thailand to determine whether they could distinguish wild-bred snakes from captive-bred ones. During the study, the researchers noticed the farmed pythons’ propensity for speedy growth, which they’ve documented in research published in Scientific Reports on March 14.

“As snake biologists, we already knew that pythons had impressive physiologies,” Natusch says. “After speaking with the python farmers and continuing to monitor their growth rates, their remarkable physiologies became even more apparent.”

Part of the explanation boils down to biology. Pythons, like all snakes, are ectotherms, or cold-blooded animals, which means their body temperature is controlled by their surroundings. This lifestyle makes snakes prone to sunbathing, but it also means that, unlike mammals, ectotherms don’t need to produce heat to keep themselves warm—a major source of energy savings that allows them to efficiently convert food into body mass.

Natusch and his colleagues decided to quantify that efficiency. The team studied reticulated pythons (Malayopython reticulatus) and Burmese pythons (Python bivittatus) on the farms, analyzing what they ate and how quickly they grew.

In particular, the researchers were struck by the pythons’ resilience during long fasts: the animals sometimes went months without eating but also without losing much weight. “Observing the ability of relatively young snakes to go many months without food and remain in a healthy state with minimal loss of body condition was really astounding,” Natusch says. Notably, he and his colleagues think that such resilience could be valuable during a major disruption to the food system, such as what occurred during the early days of the COVID pandemic, when some farmers couldn’t afford to keep feeding their livestock but also couldn’t get them to processors.

“Because we expect even greater global economic and climatic volatility in [the] future, pythons could be a solution for those future challenges,” Natusch says. “Farming pythons could be a big part of the solution for a part of the world that is already suffering from severe protein deficiency,” such as Africa.

Yet Zurek says it’s too early to bet on snakes, despite their impressive metabolic feats, to revolutionize our food systems. She sees a need for many more studies about pythons—especially detailed analyses of the environmental impact of farming them and of their nutritional content, including both proteins and micronutrients. “The current study opens up an interesting step in that direction, but you need to complement that with a whole bunch of additional studies to look at these other aspects before you can really say, ‘Yeah, that’s an option,’” Zurek says.

And of course, it all depends on whether people will take to eating python. Natusch says python meat is “pretty tasty and versatile” and argues that by his tally, a billion people in Southeast and East Asia, as well as parts of Latin America and Africa, already consider snake meat a culturally acceptable food. “It is really just Western cultures (which have few naturally occurring large reptiles) that haven’t been exposed to it,” he says.
. . .
GettyImages-522204590_WEB.webp
  • Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, lazarus said:

gnoo krapow

. . .

Pythons turn their food into meat pretty efficiently, a study finds, making them an intriguing alternative to climate-unfriendly cows

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/snake-steak-could-be-a-climate-friendly-source-of-protein/?utm_source=Live+Audience&utm_campaign=bb34fbb878-briefing-dy-20240318_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_b27a691814-bb34fbb878-51452476

Put aside your chicken cutlets and meatloaf and say hello to python curries and satay skewers. Some snake scientists think eating these reptiles—already customary or at least acceptable in parts of the world—might help lessen the damage our food choices have on the environment.

With some eight billion people on the planet today, all of whom require protein to stay healthy, finding new sources of these nutrients is a crucial issue. “The general conundrum we somehow need to solve is: Where do we get the appropriate amounts of protein for a still-growing global population without the big environmental footprint?” says Monika Zurek, a food systems scientist at the University of Oxford, who was not involved in the new research. Humans’ dietary staples, particularly those of Westerners, have serious consequences. The environmental impacts of cattle products such as beef are especially costly: the animals produce nearly 10 percent of the world’s greenhouse gas emissions, and growing food for them spurs deforestation. Pork brings a separate set of environmental hazards, notably water pollution from pig waste. The chicken industry faces similar issues.

But how do you get from the challenge of providing sufficient protein to farming pythons for meat? For Dan Natusch, a herpetologist at Macquarie University in Australia, the idea came about tangentially. He and his colleagues were working with existing commercial python farms in Vietnam and Thailand to determine whether they could distinguish wild-bred snakes from captive-bred ones. During the study, the researchers noticed the farmed pythons’ propensity for speedy growth, which they’ve documented in research published in Scientific Reports on March 14.

“As snake biologists, we already knew that pythons had impressive physiologies,” Natusch says. “After speaking with the python farmers and continuing to monitor their growth rates, their remarkable physiologies became even more apparent.”

Part of the explanation boils down to biology. Pythons, like all snakes, are ectotherms, or cold-blooded animals, which means their body temperature is controlled by their surroundings. This lifestyle makes snakes prone to sunbathing, but it also means that, unlike mammals, ectotherms don’t need to produce heat to keep themselves warm—a major source of energy savings that allows them to efficiently convert food into body mass.

Natusch and his colleagues decided to quantify that efficiency. The team studied reticulated pythons (Malayopython reticulatus) and Burmese pythons (Python bivittatus) on the farms, analyzing what they ate and how quickly they grew.

In particular, the researchers were struck by the pythons’ resilience during long fasts: the animals sometimes went months without eating but also without losing much weight. “Observing the ability of relatively young snakes to go many months without food and remain in a healthy state with minimal loss of body condition was really astounding,” Natusch says. Notably, he and his colleagues think that such resilience could be valuable during a major disruption to the food system, such as what occurred during the early days of the COVID pandemic, when some farmers couldn’t afford to keep feeding their livestock but also couldn’t get them to processors.

“Because we expect even greater global economic and climatic volatility in [the] future, pythons could be a solution for those future challenges,” Natusch says. “Farming pythons could be a big part of the solution for a part of the world that is already suffering from severe protein deficiency,” such as Africa.

Yet Zurek says it’s too early to bet on snakes, despite their impressive metabolic feats, to revolutionize our food systems. She sees a need for many more studies about pythons—especially detailed analyses of the environmental impact of farming them and of their nutritional content, including both proteins and micronutrients. “The current study opens up an interesting step in that direction, but you need to complement that with a whole bunch of additional studies to look at these other aspects before you can really say, ‘Yeah, that’s an option,’” Zurek says.

And of course, it all depends on whether people will take to eating python. Natusch says python meat is “pretty tasty and versatile” and argues that by his tally, a billion people in Southeast and East Asia, as well as parts of Latin America and Africa, already consider snake meat a culturally acceptable food. “It is really just Western cultures (which have few naturally occurring large reptiles) that haven’t been exposed to it,” he says.
. . .

The only real problem I see with this is that pythons (like most snakes) are carnivorous. And feeding them meat to grow them to get their meat seems rather inefficient as the original meat will also have to be grown somehow.

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, Freee!! said:

The only real problem I see with this is that pythons (like most snakes) are carnivorous. And feeding them meat to grow them to get their meat seems rather inefficient as the original meat will also have to be grown somehow.

Maybe there's an invasive species that they'll eat?

GOPers maybe...? 😉

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, lazarus said:

gnoo krapow

. . .

. . .

I love eating Crocodile 👍

On 3/28/2024 at 1:11 AM, Glasseye said:

That fcuker would have a fight on it's paws with me. But, he'd probably get me.

Like most attacks, depends if it got the jump on ya first.

Those claws and teeth can do alot of damage very quickly methinks. 

Without a weapon,  you don't stand much of a chance against a big cat.

Edited by boydeste

4 hours ago, boydeste said:

Like most attacks, depends if it got the jump on ya first.

Those claws and teeth can do alot of damage very quickly methinks. 

Without a weapon,  you don't stand much of a chance against a big cat.

Yep. Those claws are nasty I'd reckon. It would probably rip your neck to shreds quickly. And you are right. Cats are sneaky cnuts. If you don't hear or see it coming you are most likely toast. Scary way to check out, certainly would shit my pants.

But... got to fight if attacked.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Yep. Those claws are nasty I'd reckon. It would probably rip your neck to shreds quickly. And you are right. Cats are sneaky cnuts. If you don't hear or see it coming you are most likely toast. Scary way to check out, certainly would shit my pants.

But... got to fight if attacked.

I love the big cats. Especially Tigers. Beautiful animals. 

I was up in the lake district one time visiting a wildlife park near Ulverston and if anyone was in doubt about the strength and power of tigers it was soon put to bed when feeding time came around. 

3 telegraph poles planted into the pen. More than 20 feet tall. At the top of each pole a chicken /some sort of meat was placed there. 

Out come the big boys or girls and jesus christ!!!. Never seen anything like it...... Just 2 strides to get up there, get the food, turn around and then jump down from about 15 feet. No problem whatsoever. Amazingly powerful animals. 

I have 3 cats as pets and I'm sure if they were bigger than me I would be toast! 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Aqualung said:

I love the big cats. Especially Tigers. Beautiful animals. 

I was up in the lake district one time visiting a wildlife park near Ulverston and if anyone was in doubt about the strength and power of tigers it was soon put to bed when feeding time came around. 

3 telegraph poles planted into the pen. More than 20 feet tall. At the top of each pole a chicken /some sort of meat was placed there. 

Out come the big boys or girls and jesus christ!!!. Never seen anything like it...... Just 2 strides to get up there, get the food, turn around and then jump down from about 15 feet. No problem whatsoever. Amazingly powerful animals. 

I have 3 cats as pets and I'm sure if they were bigger than me I would be toast! 

Yes, they are beautiful animals; I especially like the Siberian tigers and often wonder what life in my part of North America would be like if they had spread into our continent back in the day, as their modern habitat in Asia is very similar to ours. 

Pound per pound the leopard is probably the strongest cat out there; you can see plenty of videos on YouTube and reels on FB that show these things climbing trees with antelopes heavier than themselves in their mouths - occasionally the meal will slip from their jaws and they just catch it effortlessly with one paw and keep on climbing up. 

As an aside, I'd much rather be eaten by a big cat than a bear - big cats always kill their prey before they begin eating, but a bear just starts eating whether you are dead or not...

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Zambo said:

The snake catcher appears to be wearing some kind of ballistic stomach protector.

I bet there's a few guys on this forum who wear theirs 24/7...

🙂

• Haha 3

On 4/7/2024 at 7:59 AM, Zambo said:

The snake catcher appears to be wearing some kind of ballistic stomach protector.

Nah, just too much Pap & Kaiings.

Kaiings, a chewy traditional Boer delicacy often served. as a topping over "pap". Kaiings are made from small. cubes of pork in a cast iron pot over a "slow" fire and. are the leftover pieces of pork after extracting the pork.

Pap, /ˈpʌp/, also known as mieliepap (Afrikaans for maize porridge) in South Africa, is a traditional porridge/polenta and a staple food of the African peoples of Southern Africa (the Afrikaans word pap is taken from Dutch and means merely "porridge") made from maize-meal (coarsely ground maize).