Big Snake & Other XL Creatures

lazarus

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

It's rare to for me to see any snakes while out on jungle trail, but today while setting trail I climbed out of ravine to see a black cobra at the edge of a cassava field I was about to go into. Usually they see me, I see them, and they slither away. But not this one. Think his startle reflex kicked in as he reared up with his hood and fangs out and stayed that way while I very, very slowly backed away. After about a minute he slithered away, but paused to look back just before disappearing into the underbrush.

It only started to move away when you were outside of what it considered to be your striking range as snakes are pretty vulnerable to attack from behind. And snakes rearing up is a defensive posture, if they attack prey they stay low.

• Great Info 1

3 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

It's rare to for me to see any snakes while out on jungle trail, but today while setting trail I climbed out of ravine to see a black cobra at the edge of a cassava field I was about to go into. Usually they see me, I see them, and they slither away. But not this one. Think his startle reflex kicked in as he reared up with his hood and fangs out and stayed that way while I very, very slowly backed away. After about a minute he slithered away, but paused to look back just before disappearing into the underbrush.

Not my picture, but one off the internet that is about the size of the once I encountered.
maxresdefault.jpg

So was that pair of underwear cleanable?  😜

• Haha 5

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

From 2015...

^^ Mick Fanning...one of the best surfers in the world at that time.

. . .

Black-tipped Reef shark pics I snapped while snorkeling off the Perhentian Islands in Malaysia a few years ago...

64475004.GeAoD26G.minishark3.jpg

64475005.QXCdiGry.minishark5.jpg

Edited by lazarus
@@
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, lazarus said:

^^ Mick Fanning...one of the best surfers in the world at that time.

. . .

Black-tipped Reef shark pics I snapped while snorkeling off the Perhentian Islands in Malaysia a few years ago...

64475004.GeAoD26G.minishark3.jpg

64475005.QXCdiGry.minishark5.jpg

Went on a shark encounter dive many years ago in the Bahamas. Very similar to what's in this video. Freaky to have the sharks swimming in and out of the circle between us. We heeded the warning to keep our hands and arms tucked in close to our chest.

• Like 2
  • Surprised 1

5 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Went on a shark encounter dive many years ago in the Bahamas. Very similar to what's in this video. Freaky to have the sharks swimming in and out of the circle between us. We heeded the warning to keep our hands and arms tucked in close to our chest.

Yeah...they like to strike out at movement. "Keep your hands close..."

I was diving off of Rangiroa Atoll in French Polynesia back in the mid-1990s and there was a big shark about 25 meters down...not the friendly kind...hard not to start sucking air in a situation like that.

The dive boat dropped us off outside the atoll in blue water and then we drifted back into the lagoon through the pass featured in this video. When the air was gone we filled a balloon with air and marked our spot to be picked up. Amazing dive.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, boydeste said:

Don't think I have ever tried Gator or Croc, wonder what it tastes like!

That thing would feed the whole village for weeks methinks. 

I've eaten alligator -- both meat and sausages. Tasted pretty good.

Have to wonder where that big animal ended up after the back of the truck?

• Like 1