Big Snake & Other XL Creatures

lazarus

original.jpg

I had wanted to shoot a charismatic over/under portrait of a great white shark for a couple of years. Some techniques I had previously tried failed terribly, so this time I designed and constructed my own carbon pole and remote trigger. This enabled me to safely lower my camera and housing into the water with my own 12-inch split-shot dome port attached. Surprisingly the sharks were instantly attracted to the camera with no extra bait needed. In fact, it was a battle to stop them biting the dome port! Photographed off Australia's North Neptune Islands. #

Matty Smith / UPY2022

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2022/02/winners-2022-underwater-photographer-year-contest/622038/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=atlantic-photo-newsletter&utm_content=20220210&silverid=%%RECIPIENT_ID%%&utm_term=New Photo Galleries

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Score another one for the Sharks...RIP

Swimmer dies in shark attack in Sydney, suffered ‘catastrophic injuries’
Beach was crowded at time of attack, and some witnesses recalled seeing 14-foot great white shark attacking unidentified swimmer

https://www.foxnews.com/world/swimmer-dies-in-shark-attack-in-sydney-suffered-catastrophic-injuries

"We heard yelling and turned around it looked like a car had landed in the water, a big splash then the shark was chomping at the body and there was blood everywhere," one witness told 9 News, according to the report.

8261230-6568295-Drone_Shark_a_new_startup_and_is_currently_only_funded_by_surfer-a-11_1546939869034.jpg

Edited by lazarus
  • Sad 2

A shark is seen swimming directly at the camera lens, near the surface of the ocean.

Great White Split: Category Runner Up and British Underwater Photographer of the Year 2022, Portrait. I had wanted to shoot a charismatic over/under portrait of a great white shark for a couple of years. Some techniques I had previously tried failed terribly, so this time I designed and constructed my own carbon pole and remote trigger. This enabled me to safely lower my camera and housing into the water with my own 12-inch split-shot dome port attached. Surprisingly the sharks were instantly attracted to the camera with no extra bait needed. In fact, it was a battle to stop them biting the dome port! Photographed off Australia's North Neptune Islands.

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2022/02/winners-2022-underwater-photographer-year-contest/622038/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=atlantic-photo-newsletter&utm_content=20220210&silverid=%%RECIPIENT_ID%%&utm_term=New Photo Galleries

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fygjam said:

A shark is seen swimming directly at the camera lens, near the surface of the ocean.

Great White Split: Category Runner Up and British Underwater Photographer of the Year 2022, Portrait. I had wanted to shoot a charismatic over/under portrait of a great white shark for a couple of years. Some techniques I had previously tried failed terribly, so this time I designed and constructed my own carbon pole and remote trigger. This enabled me to safely lower my camera and housing into the water with my own 12-inch split-shot dome port attached. Surprisingly the sharks were instantly attracted to the camera with no extra bait needed. In fact, it was a battle to stop them biting the dome port! Photographed off Australia's North Neptune Islands.

@lazarus scooped you by a few days.

Hank the Tank, an enormous black bear who’s developed a raging appetite for human food, is facing possible euthanasia after breaking into more than two dozen homes in a gated South Lake Tahoe (California USA) neighborhood over the past seven months.

The 500-pound bear has broken windows, smashed through front doors and ransacked garages in search of food, authorities say. He’s undeterred by efforts to “haze” him away from food with sirens, tasers and beanbag shots...

Capture.JPG

A big bear in Tahoe has a big appetite and no qualms about busting into houses — 28 at last count

https://www.sfchronicle.com/travel/article/A-big-bear-in-Tahoe-has-a-big-appetite-and-no-16936788.php#photo-22091677

• Surprised 2

2 hours ago, lazarus said:

Hank the Tank, an enormous black bear who’s developed a raging appetite for human food, is facing possible euthanasia after breaking into more than two dozen homes in a gated South Lake Tahoe (California USA) neighborhood over the past seven months.

The 500-pound bear has broken windows, smashed through front doors and ransacked garages in search of food, authorities say. He’s undeterred by efforts to “haze” him away from food with sirens, tasers and beanbag shots...

Capture.JPG

A big bear in Tahoe has a big appetite and no qualms about busting into houses — 28 at last count

https://www.sfchronicle.com/travel/article/A-big-bear-in-Tahoe-has-a-big-appetite-and-no-16936788.php#photo-22091677

Well, as the old saying goes - "a fed bear is a dead bear" - this creature is way beyond redemption, I am afraid, and is not long for this world no matter how sentimental his victims may be. In my neck of the woods he would have been dealt with after the first break-in - the authorities do try to trap and relocate them, but we've had cases where grizzly bears have been moved over 60km away but were back in the same neighbourhood two or three days later. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lazarus said:

Capture.JPG

Jesus.... I'd have to be a good distance away from that fella after hitting him with a bean bag. You'd have to have balls to do that. lol

44 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Jesus.... I'd have to be a good distance away from that fella after hitting him with a bean bag. You'd have to have balls to do that. lol

Back in the mid-1990s when I was a river guide in the Idaho wilderness, bears would come around our camp at the put-in (the night before the guests arrived). This was our 'party night' and we used to chuck full beer cans at 'em (unopened). 

Hamm's, of course.

ca5cf9b5c28e52a546dbd32040e30bea.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Back in the mid-1990s when I was a river guide in the Idaho wilderness, bears would come around our camp at the put-in (the night before the guests arrived). This was our 'party night' and we used to chuck full beer cans at 'em (unopened). 

Hamm's, of course.

ca5cf9b5c28e52a546dbd32040e30bea.jpg

Ha !

I prefer Old Style.... Home brew of the Chicago Cubs.     

• 2 weeks later...

Where's a camel jockey when you need one..? RIP

Rampaging Camel Kills Two Men at a Tennessee Farm
The camel was put down after it charged at law enforcement officers who were trying to move one of the victims, the authorities said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/13/us/tennessee-camel.html

Two men were killed by a camel that had gotten loose at a farm in Tennessee on Thursday, the authorities said.

The camel charged at sheriff’s deputies as they tried to help the men it had just attacked at Shirley Farms in Obion, Tenn., the Obion County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement.

It was unclear what set off the camel’s rampage.

The men were identified as Bobby Matheny, 42, of Ridgely, Tenn., and Tommy Gunn, 67, of Obion, Tenn., the Sheriff’s Office said.

As the deputies tried to move one of the men, the camel charged at them, the statement said. The animal had already “attacked” a Sheriff’s Office vehicle.

“It was at this time officers had to put the camel down for the safety of everyone on scene,” the statement said...

... A department inspection report from September showed that the farm had at least one dromedary camel. Dromedary camels weigh about 1,100 pounds and reach at least six feet at the shoulder, according to the department. The farm also had goats, sheep, deer, alpacas, a zebra and a kangaroo, the report said.

Bobby Matheny was 42 years old.

camel-raging-death-385-1.jpg

9 hours ago, lazarus said:

Where's a camel jockey when you need one..? RIP

Rampaging Camel Kills Two Men at a Tennessee Farm
The camel was put down after it charged at law enforcement officers who were trying to move one of the victims, the authorities said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/13/us/tennessee-camel.html

Two men were killed by a camel that had gotten loose at a farm in Tennessee on Thursday, the authorities said.

The camel charged at sheriff’s deputies as they tried to help the men it had just attacked at Shirley Farms in Obion, Tenn., the Obion County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement.

It was unclear what set off the camel’s rampage.

The men were identified as Bobby Matheny, 42, of Ridgely, Tenn., and Tommy Gunn, 67, of Obion, Tenn., the Sheriff’s Office said.

As the deputies tried to move one of the men, the camel charged at them, the statement said. The animal had already “attacked” a Sheriff’s Office vehicle.

“It was at this time officers had to put the camel down for the safety of everyone on scene,” the statement said...

... A department inspection report from September showed that the farm had at least one dromedary camel. Dromedary camels weigh about 1,100 pounds and reach at least six feet at the shoulder, according to the department. The farm also had goats, sheep, deer, alpacas, a zebra and a kangaroo, the report said.

Bobby Matheny was 42 years old.

camel-raging-death-385-1.jpg

Looks like Mr. Tommy Gunn wasn't locked and loaded. 

Camel 2 Rednecks 0.

A mysterious 'furry green' snake has been found floating in a swamp in Thailand. The two-feet (about 0.6 metres) long creature appeared to be covered in fur when it was found in Sakhon Nakhon province last Saturday. It was taken home by local Tu, 49, after he noticed it moving slowly in the dirty water near his home while he was walking. 

Some locals said the furry reptile could be a puff-faced water snake that had moss growing on its body from waiting so long in the swamp to catch its prey in the still, shallow water and rocky crevices.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/mysterious-furry-green-snake-shocks-locals-never-seen-one-061852093.html

On 2/22/2022 at 7:22 AM, lazarus said:

Capture.JPG

I used to have a house at Lake Tahoe, and one night, I heard a loud noise, and when I investigated, it was a bear trying to break the front door! After lots of very loud shouts and noises, it did run away with significant damage tot he door.

• Surprised 1