Big Snake & Other XL Creatures

lazarus

14 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Yikes !

No thankyouverymuch.

I'd be out of there like a shot and very far away indeed.

Hornets are my least favourite flying insect, for good reason.

When I was in Oman, we stopped off at a beach for a rest up, one of the guys put his can of Amstel beer down, and a hornet flew inside it. When he took a swig, it stung him in his mouth so badly, he couldn't open his mouth, let alone breathe properly.

Luckily we had a Zodiac with a powerful outboard and were not too far from base. We radioed through and had an Med team waiting (there was no road access to the beach), loaded him up and went hell for leather back. Now, the old SON base in Muscat had a thin and shallow inlet on the fort Mirani side, which, at the time, was forbidden to use as it was deemed to be too shallow anyway and too close to the Palace for comfort. We went through there at considerable speed, made it and got to the jetty. He was fine eventually, but oddly refused the Amstel beers we took him in Hospital.

The guy who used the shortcut got reprimanded!.

Sorry to go a bit off topic, but I hate hornets with a passion!.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Butch said:

No thankyouverymuch.

I'd be out of there like a shot and very far away indeed.

Hornets are my least favourite flying insect, for good reason.

When I was in Oman, we stopped off at a beach for a rest up, one of the guys put his can of Amstel beer down, and a hornet flew inside it. When he took a swig, it stung him in his mouth so badly, he couldn't open his mouth, let alone breathe properly.

Luckily we had a Zodiac with a powerful outboard and were not too far from base. We radioed through and had an Med team waiting (there was no road access to the beach), loaded him up and went hell for leather back. Now, the old SON base in Muscat had a thin and shallow inlet on the fort Mirani side, which, at the time, was forbidden to use as it was deemed to be too shallow anyway and too close to the Palace for comfort. We went through there at considerable speed, made it and got to the jetty. He was fine eventually, but oddly refused the Amstel beers we took him in Hospital.

The guy who used the shortcut got reprimanded!.

Sorry to go a bit off topic, but I hate hornets with a passion!.

I think that same thing happened to BM boydeste a while back. Pics were awful. Dreadful things hornets are. They scare the bejgeeeesus out of me. 

• Like 1
  • Surprised 1

Interesting video and the guy does a fine job, but also very misleading:

- the nest is outside under the eave, not "inside the house";

- these are big hornets but they are not big enough to be giant Asian hornets which have acquired the moniker of "murder hornets";  also, giant Asian hornets are ground nesters - they dig their own burrows or pre-empt those of other species.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Glasseye said:

I think that same thing happened to BM boydeste a while back. Pics were awful. Dreadful things hornets are. They scare the bejgeeeesus out of me. 

Yup, almost identical circumstances. I was bankside on the river Ebro in Spain a few years ago.

The guys I was chatting too gave me a beer and whilst talking and drinking a hornet got in the bottle, it stung my tongue and whislt trying to spit it out it stung my bottom lip. I actually crushed it on my lip and the stinger stayed in. The guide at the time pulled the stinger out.

My lip swelled up and so did my throat, fortunately for me the nearest town had a hospital, I was rushed in and put on two drips, one being an antihistamine and one being a steroid I think. Very painful and frightening as I initially thought I was having an anaphylactic shock. It turned out that because I had crushed the thing on my lip whilst the stinger was in, I forced all of its venom into me. The swelling was just the venom doing it's thing.

I have a few pictures some where. LOL

Edited by boydeste
  • Surprised 2

1 hour ago, boydeste said:

Yup, almost identical circumstances. I was bankside on the river Ebro in Spain a few years ago.

The guys I was chatting too gave me a beer and whilst talking and drinking a hornet got in the bottle, it stung my tongue and whislt trying to spit it out it stung my bottom lip. I actually crushed it on my lip and the stinger stayed in. The guide at the time pulled the stinger out.

My lip swelled up and so did my throat, fortunately for me the nearest town had a hospital, I was rushed in and put on two drips, one being an antihistamine and one being a steroid I think. Very painful and frightening as I initially thought I was having an anaphylactic shock. It turned out that because I had crushed the thing on my lip whilst the stinger was in, I forced all of its venom into me. The swelling was just the venom doing it's thing.

I have a few pictures some where but will spare you them. LOL

Scary stuff indeed. 

Fucking little bastards.

• Like 1

With the trekking I do through jungle area, the thing I fear most is not snakes or red ants, but bees and wasps. Been stung a few times over the years and the pain is intense followed by about 30 minutes of insane itching.

Fortunately I'm not allergic, but I do carry antihistamine tablets in my med kit in case someone I'm with does have an allergic reaction.

Edited by forcebwithu

11 hours ago, boydeste said:

I just found this pic of the day after. I was drinking beer through a straw!

sting.jpg

Jesus that looks bloody painful.

Glad to hear it was eventully ok, God forbid had you swallowed it!

• Like 1

Live king cobra signed, sealed, delivered

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2283350/live-king-cobra-signed-sealed-delivered

c1_2283350.jpg

KHON KAEN: A king cobra about two metres long was found alive in a parcel sent to this northeastern province on Tuesday.

Rescue workers were called to a J&T Express branch at the Pratunam Khon Kaen wholesale market in Muang district on Tuesday morning.

Staff at the branch made the call after seeing a paper box moving by itself and hearing a hissing sound.

At the courier's branch, the rescue workers opened the box and found a black fabric bag with the live king cobra inside.
Courier staff immediately dispersed, with some screaming with fear.

Rescue worker Siriprom Singpong said that he touched the bag before opening it and felt the snake.

Everyone at the scene was stunned and could not believe a live snake would be delivered in the box.

The snake was sent to King Cobra Village in Nam Phong district, while police were tracing its sender and recipient.

4261618.jpg

Edited by lazarus
  • Surprised 3

RIP

Montana hiker found dead after suspected grizzly bear attack

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/03/25/us/montana-hiker-found-dead/index.html

A hiker who had been reported missing in Montana earlier this week was found dead Friday after a suspected encounter with a grizzly bear.

Sheriff Brad Bichler of the Park County Sheriff's Office told CNN Craig Clouatre, 40, was hiking with a friend Wednesday in the Six Mile Creek area, which is about 20-25 miles north of Yellowstone National Park, when they split up.
"It is with a very heavy heart that I am writing this update. After an extensive search this morning we have located Craig," Bichler said in a Facebook post.
"It appears he had an encounter with a grizzly and unfortunately did not survive," Bicher's post said...

. . .

https://cowboystatedaily.com/2022/03/25/montana-man-killed-in-grizzly-attack-north-of-yellowstone/

grizzly-ok-to-use-scaled.jpg

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, lazarus said:

RIP

A hiker who had been reported missing in Montana earlier this week was found dead Friday after a suspected encounter with a grizzly bear.

Sheriff Brad Bichler of the Park County Sheriff's Office told CNN Craig Clouatre, 40, was hiking with a friend Wednesday in the Six Mile Creek area, which is about 20-25 miles north of Yellowstone National Park, when they split up.
"It is with a very heavy heart that I am writing this update. After an extensive search this morning we have located Craig," Bichler said in a Facebook post.
"It appears he had an encounter with a grizzly and unfortunately did not survive," Bicher's post said...

. . .

https://cowboystatedaily.com/2022/03/25/montana-man-killed-in-grizzly-attack-north-of-yellowstone/

It always seems strange to me to read stories like that when someone dies, we went hiking together and we split up!!!!!!

Why would you do that?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, lazarus said:

RIP

. . .

Now a serious question for the Yanks among us from an ignorant Brit!!.

To echo @boydeste - splitting up? like  "he had great life insurance so we split up and I made sure he was carrying all the raw steak" kind of "split up"?. Why on Earth would anyone split up in the Wilderness - I'd have thought that goes against page one rule one.

These beast are absolutely magnificent, no doubt, but do they actively prey on humans?.

Lastly, Can a Grizzly bear be stopped with a regular .308 or 9mm?. Even loaded with Glaser Safety slugs, I can't see one of these stopping anytime soon. In fact, if I had anything other than a FN FAL handy, I'd probably stay very far away.

They are cute though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boydeste said:

It always seems strange to me to read stories like that when someone dies, we went hiking together and we split up!!!!!!

Why would you do that?

Possibly scouting for hunting season and wanted to be more stealth. Lots of snow still in this area.

Maybe they were looking for shed antlers (from sheep, goats, bison, elk & deer) and wanted to cover more ground. Could have also been looking for bears (e.g., photography).

The news report said they split up and planned to rendezvous at a prearranged location.

It's not uncommon to be out in the woods solo though. The primary danger is running into a bear with cubs.

I lived close to this area for awhile (to the east about 100 miles near Red Lodge), and for 15+ years in the Idaho mountains, and would often head to the woods solo: riding mountain bike, hiking, fishing, cutting fire wood. I'd run into black bears from time to time. Never saw a grizzly though.

. . .

A bit more of the story and deceased's background:

Montana sheriff thanks searchers who found body of hiker believed killed by bear
Huge search and resue mission discovered body of Craig Clouatre, who went missing north of Yellowstone this week

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/mar/26/montana-hiker-grizzly-bear-attack

3000.jpg

Emigrant Peak over the Paradise Valley in Montana, north of Yellowstone national park. Photograph: Matthew Brown/AP

Edited by lazarus
  • Like 3

Hard to miss an 11ft long gator...?

Florida Driver Dies After Crashing Into 11-Foot Gator

https://outsider.com/outdoors/florida-driver-dies-after-crashing-into-11-foot-gator/

A Florida man has died after his vehicle crashes into a huge 11-foot-long alligator along a Florida Roadway Thursday. According to authorities, 59-year-old John Hopkins was driving along County Road 672 in Lithia Florida during the early morning hours. Then, the eastbound vehicle collides with a massive reptile which was sitting in the middle of the roadway.

florida-driver-dies-after-crashing-into-11-foot-gator-585x390.jpg

The Hillsborough County Sherriff’s Office notes that John Hopkins’ car drove off the road upon impact with the humongous alligator. The vehicle then overturned, landing in a nearby ditch. A passing driver spotted the wreckage of Hopkins’s car, calling 9-1-1. Both Hopkins and the alligator suffered fatal injuries in the shocking incident. Hopkins was pronounced dead at the scene.

According to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, the state of Florida has an alligator population estimated to be around 1.3 million. These alligators are located all across the state, in all 67 counties. The alligator in question measures in at a monster 11 feet long.

However, this massive beast is still dwarfed by the longest ever recorded gator in the state. The longest alligator ever recorded in Florida measures 14 feet, 3 1/2 inches. The heaviest alligator in the state weighs 1,043 pounds, according to state officials.

Officials note that it remains unclear as to where the alligator came from before the fatal collision. However, the crash site does sit about 2 miles away from a Florida state park, known to house alligators. The 6,132 acre Alafia River State Park is a well-known location where alligators are often spotted.

During a call to a Florida college campus earlier this month, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission removed two alligators; one measuring 6 feet, 9 inches long. The other measures 7 feet 10 inches long. The call came earlier this month when reports came that an alligator had taken a 50-pound pitbull at the State College of Florida, Manatee-Sarasota in Venice campus. An alligator trapper removed both alligators from the area after the calls came in.

• Surprised 1