Not Good

Glasseye

1 hour ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Just another reason for not owning/driving a m/c here in Thailand, with a car at least you have a chance of survival.

Motorcycle ok mate to be honest.

Keep your head on a swivel,and never run over man hole or drain covers.

Even the ones covered with a hessian sack.

Crashing a motorbike is part of riding a motorbike...

"Those that have & those that will..."

Thailand is no different than anywhere else.

Ride defensively. Ride smart. Ride sober. Ride like your life depends on it.

Because it does.

Or, better yet...just let "Mama" drive.

😉

20160906-IMG_6712.jpg

Edited by lazarus
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, lazarus said:

Crashing a motorbike is part of riding a motorbike...

"Those that have & those that will..."

Ride defensively. Ride smart. Ride sober. Ride like your life depends on it.

Because it does.

Or, better yet...just let "Mama" drive.

😉

20160906-IMG_6712.jpg

You forgot 'Ride like you stole it'. 👍

• Haha 3

On 10/26/2020 at 11:46 PM, lazarus said:

I beg to differ my friend, i have never seen so many braindead idiots in charge of killing machines that i witness daily on my travels here in Thailand. The UK certainly has driving standards that are in the main adhered to, thats why our death rate is circa 1000 per year whereas Thailand is circa 25K and thats only the deaths that are recorded at the scene, subsequent deaths in hospital are'nt included in the figures.

Its deffo safer to ride a m/c in the UK than Thailand imo. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Pumpuynarak said:

I beg to differ my friend, i have never seen so many braindead idiots in charge of killing machines that i witness daily on my travels here in Thailand. The UK certainly has driving standards that are in the main adhered to, thats why our death rate is circa 1000 per year whereas Thailand is circa 25K and thats only the deaths that are recorded at the scene, subsequent deaths in hospital are'nt included in the figures.

Fair enough...

Vehicle drivers in TH are not much better than the MC jockeys. I always tell people no matter how fast you are driving there will be someone faster passing you on either side...especially up there in Isaan!

. . .

My comment was directed more at motorcycle riding from a generic perspective.

Crashing a motorbike is part of riding a motorbike..."Those that have & those that will..."

In Thailand they are just a lot more creative in how (often) they do it!

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Honestly... One of my greatest fears is to be walking down the road one day.... And seeing a bike with a couple kids on it get creamed. I've seen enough already after 30 years of handling accidents, but 95% of them were after the impact (still bad, but not the same).

If I saw one up and personal now I think it would send me over the edge. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Honestly... One of my greatest fears is to be walking down the road one day.... And seeing a bike with a couple kids on it get creamed. I've seen enough already after 30 years of handling accidents, but 95% of them were after the impact (still bad, but not the same).

When I lived on Koh Lanta there were three kids killed playing on a bike in the road fronting their house.

Pisses me off when parents let their kids ride.

I was an EMT for awhile in Idaho. Car wrecks were the hardest emotionally to deal with.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, lazarus said:

When I lived on Koh Lanta there were three kids killed playing on a bike in the road fronting their house.

Pisses me off when parents let their kids ride.

I was an EMT for awhile in Idaho. Car wrecks were the hardest emotionally to deal with.

For me telling the parents was the most difficult thing I've ever had to do. Nothing comes close, even picking up remains or smelling shit/death. The depth of emotion is impossible to describe. I think losing my brother in a car wreck when I was seven also contributes to the intensity of those emotions. 

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, Glasseye said:

one of the first news stories i did here came from our police source as a lot do, photos without pixalation etc..  thai man with helmet crashed into a pole, he survived, wife and toddler kiled.  pics haunted me for a long time.  sadly now I am immune to it, but it still makes me mad

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, tommy dee said:

one of the first news stories i did here came from our police source as a lot do, photos without pixalation etc..  thai man with helmet crashed into a pole, he survived, wife and toddler kiled.  pics haunted me for a long time.  sadly now I am immune to it, but it still makes me mad

They used to have a board full.of that kind of pictures outside the main police station in BKK long time ago.

21 hours ago, tommy dee said:

Eeek! Now you're bringing back memories I thought I'd forgotten. Around 12 or 13 years ago there was a story about some young guy who'd just arrived in Pattaya and rented a big bike. Probably well-juiced, he'd lost control of it at high speed in the wee hours of the morning. He was on Second Road approaching Big C in North Pattaya and just before it the road kinks a bit. He'd evidently missed that and gone at high speed over the pavement and straight into a concrete pylon, head first. He'd been wearing a helmet, but he struck the post face-on, and wherever I saw it, presumably on some local news website, had an uncensored photo of the body. Basically, his head was still there, but where his face should have been was a rectangular dark void with lots of blood around it, like somebody had taken a giant ice cream scoop and removed his face and brains. Damn,and I thought I'd swept that one into the "do not disturb" area of my memory palace, ugh.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Toy Boy said:

Eeek! Now you're bringing back memories I thought I'd forgotten. Around 12 or 13 years ago there was a story about some young guy who'd just arrived in Pattaya and rented a big bike. Probably well-juiced, he'd lost control of it at high speed in the wee hours of the morning. He was on Second Road approaching Big C in North Pattaya and just before it the road kinks a bit. He'd evidently missed that and gone at high speed over the pavement and straight into a concrete pylon, head first. He'd been wearing a helmet, but he struck the post face-on, and wherever I saw it, presumably on some local news website, had an uncensored photo of the body. Basically, his head was still there, but where his face should have been was a rectangular dark void with lots of blood around it, like somebody had taken a giant ice cream scoop and removed his face and brains. Damn,and I thought I'd swept that one into the "do not disturb" area of my memory palace, ugh.

Think that was the story about 2 Welsh guys who both died after speeding on a big bike.  I remember the photos, not nice at all; included the guy who clears up the small bits of matter in a plastic bag..

When I first came to Thailand in the 80's there was a number of magazines going around that on the surface looked quite innocuous but leafing through them you would see pics of road accidents etc in all their gory detail. Maybe those magazines are still around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Horizondave said:

Think that was the story about 2 Welsh guys who both died after speeding on a big bike.  I remember the photos, not nice at all; included the guy who clears up the small bits of matter in a plastic bag..

When I first came to Thailand in the 80's there was a number of magazines going around that on the surface looked quite innocuous but leafing through them you would see pics of road accidents etc in all their gory detail. Maybe those magazines are still around.

Yes remember it well Dave

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/two-friends-killed-thai-bike-1930361

• Thumbs Up 1

Goes to show that you *REALLY* need to know what you are doing when you ride a big bike in Thailand.

Many years ago, I was an instructor on a motorcycle training scheme.  We always tried to teach defensive driving, including the danger of the slippery surface of wet manhole covers.

In Thailand, I've seen so many that were mis-aligned that I'm leery of even stepping on one.

8 hours ago, Horizondave said:

I remember that event too and saw the photos - pretty grim and should serve as a reminder to anybody that bikes - particularly big and powerful bikes - and booze don't mix well...