Not Good

Glasseye

7 hours ago, maipenrai said:

I remember that event too and saw the photos - pretty grim and should serve as a reminder to anybody that bikes - particularly big and powerful bikes - and booze don't mix well...

remember it very well.  they had just rented close to the sois 4 and 5.  whizzed up to second road, misjudged the bend.  nether had bike licences.  at the time they SAID they would be insisting bike renters checked for proper bile license, that obviously never was effected.  must be 10 yrs ago that one

Vespas are quite popular here, and I really would love to have one. But not a good idea, although here it's less crazy than Thailand.

If its too hot I wont drive it, if it rains I wont drive it, if I go to the pub or restaurant I wont take it..... so ?

Taxi it is. can't even be bothered to rent a car.  Forget about buying one, not worth the admin hassle.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/30/2020 at 4:17 PM, Toy Boy said:

Eeek! Now you're bringing back memories I thought I'd forgotten. Around 12 or 13 years ago there was a story about some young guy who'd just arrived in Pattaya and rented a big bike. Probably well-juiced, he'd lost control of it at high speed in the wee hours of the morning. He was on Second Road approaching Big C in North Pattaya and just before it the road kinks a bit. He'd evidently missed that and gone at high speed over the pavement and straight into a concrete pylon, head first. He'd been wearing a helmet, but he struck the post face-on, and wherever I saw it, presumably on some local news website, had an uncensored photo of the body. Basically, his head was still there, but where his face should have been was a rectangular dark void with lots of blood around it, like somebody had taken a giant ice cream scoop and removed his face and brains. Damn,and I thought I'd swept that one into the "do not disturb" area of my memory palace, ugh.

They always come back. Just have to develop mechanisms to sort through them. Don't try to fight them off, just let it flow through you and turn your thoughts to something else. Understand that they are part of your over all life experience - good and bad.

I just sorted through a memory of one that happened about twenty years ago. A double fatal/decapitation of two 19 year old college kids - tree v. Honda Civic.

The tree had a 8 inch chunk of bark missing from it. The Honda completely crushed, and so were the kids. Stench of beer, Yagermeister, and shit filled the air.

It'll always be with me. Not going to fight it. Just hope like hell I never have to see another one.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I used to rent bikes in Pattaya & Phuket & rode around like a maniac.

I had 2 bikes in Oman & tried to ride my Suzuki DR500 dirt bike to work the morning after a pre Christmas works party.Broke 6 bones in my right hand & had 35 stitches in my face....I had an open face helmet on.

I've had a Harley in the UK since 2003 & if I transferred the ownership to the missus I could take it to Thailand.

No fucking way!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1