Dental Braces - Anyone got any experience of them ?

Pumpuynarak

Well i've finally succumbed to wifey's request for her to have dental braces fitted much to my reluctance. Obviously when she was young living in an Isaan village and then working in Bangers money was tight and orthodontics did'nt rate very highly in the "needs" department but now maybe just maybe it might be right for her to correct teeth alignment.

Has anyone got any first hand experience/knowledge they can pass on ? Thanks in anticipation.

4 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Can any "misalignment" still be cured at 40+ ? I dont think so

I had a tooth extracted a while ago, and the Dentist said that I needed to have an implant becase if I did not, then the teeth  would move to fill the void.

So my answer is Yes, they should work.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Can any "misalignment" still be cured at 40+ ? I dont think so .

Now if it is for the "fashionable" thing, it is another subject.

Try for the tongue piercing, much more enjoyable for you ...😁😁😁😁

Evidently it can TS even up to age 70. Now i said to her is it a fashion issue as i'm not havin anything to do with that, she assured me it was'nt.

Tongue piercing - Now yer talking lol

1 hour ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Evidently it can TS even up to age 70. Now i said to her is it a fashion issue as i'm not havin anything to do with that, she assured me it was'nt.

Tongue piercing - Now yer talking lol

My wife has them for orthodontic not cosmetic reasons and visits her dentist in Pattaya every month.

She has been doing this for some time now and about six months ago the dentist ceased charging her for the treatment and new brace saving her 1,000 baht at each visit.

• Great Info 1

2 minutes ago, Jambo said:

My wife has them for orthodontic not cosmetic reasons and visits her dentist in Pattaya every month.

She has been doing this for some time now and about six months ago the dentist ceased charging her for the treatment and new brace saving her 1,000 baht at each visit.

Can i ask what you paid for the examination and brace mate ?

Both my kids have them, both nearly finished, been about 2 years altogether I think. 
Made a big difference to both of them,  as they had kinda wonky teeth. 
They got it done at BKK Pattaya, think it was about 40k or 50k each for the full treatment. 

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

23 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Interesting, so they did'nt charge for the brace itself ?

They change the brace at each monthly visit.

It was always 1,000 baht each month which was the charge for the consultation andeach new brace until about 6 months ago when they decided not to charge any more.

Sai is in there for about half an hour, they do not knock her out with gas and her underwear is never inside out so why knock a gift horse in the mouth. No pun intended. 🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jambo said:

They change the brace at each monthly visit.

It was always 1,000 baht each month which was the charge for the consultation andeach new brace until about 6 months ago when they decided not to charge any more.

Sai is in there for about half an hour, they do not knock her out with gas and her underwear is never inside out so why knock a gift horse in the mouth. No pun intended. 🤣

Great info, wifey's gone off this morning with a mate to some recco'd dental clinic to find out about it all and come back to tell me, i like to be a little bit informed before i part with any dosh lol

Just a side note Cliff, Rachanee had braces when she was 22 years old, she showed me some pics before braces. It was a "train wreck" to say the least. Her brother was the same way, just in the genes I guess. 

She got them on at 22 and was done at 24, good decision and she paid for them by herself after graduating college....it was a good decision for her. She thought it was about 60k back then. 

Hope it all goes well for your wife. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/26/2020 at 7:19 AM, Pumpuynarak said:

Well i've finally succumbed to wifey's request for her to have dental braces fitted much to my reluctance. Obviously when she was young living in an Isaan village and then working in Bangers money was tight and orthodontics did'nt rate very highly in the "needs" department but now maybe just maybe it might be right for her to correct teeth alignment.

Has anyone got any first hand experience/knowledge they can pass on ? Thanks in anticipation.

I had just about everything possible done to my teeth when I was a kid. I wont go into detail. It was Dog awful and I hated, put my Mom through hell bitching about them.

Now.... I thank the dear lord Buddha I was fortunate enough to have had all of that. My parents put five kids through them made huge sacrifices to do so. Looking back I'm still amazed that they were able to do what they did on as little income as they earned. Something I admittedly took for granted. As I got older I began to appreciate what they did and love them dearly for it, although they have departed many years ago.

When my mother was in her 40's she when through years of awful headaches. They could not determine what was causing them. Over time they learned in was due to what is called TMJ. It has something to do with your bite and the size of your pallet. She had surgery where they split her upper pallet and then she wore braces to correct her bite. Headaches disappeared - it was like being reborn for her.

Braces do a lot more than straighten teeth and in some cases give a better appearance.  They can adjust problem bites and allow for better chewing and contribute huge to good health and longevity. Not to mention improved psychological self esteem.

I cannot think of a more loving gift that you could possibly offer to your lovely wife than braces and a supplemental health insurance policy. Blows gold out of the water any day. Not only that you will feel good about it. Pull your head out Cliff and get with it.  55555

*** make sure you get a very reputable orthodontist. Also there is a possibility she could need some minor ortho surgery depending on what treatment she ends up getting.  Therefore if you go with a health care supplement many of them have dental coverage. If you play your cards right - get a policy that offers the coverage. Then wait for the waiting period to pass, then have the dentist say she needs treatment for the teeth - maybe then some or much of it will be covered.

• Great Info 1

6 hours ago, Glasseye said:

make sure you get a very reputable orthodontist.

I'm on the case mate, far too many "cowboys" out there just taking customers dosh and providing a piss poor service, TIT where its all about the money.

She's been hunting around her friends all married to farangs to get recco's and the one we've decided on looks like the real deal even if its going to cost me 89K :default_crybaby:

Only experience of braces,is obviously teasing the kids that had to wear them in High School,and now wishing I had the opportunity to have them when I was in High School,cause my teeth are banged up.

Fucking typical.

Now,tits on the other hand....bought a bunch of those.

Edited by Skalliwag
  • Haha 1

On 10/29/2020 at 7:49 AM, Pumpuynarak said:

I'm on the case mate, far too many "cowboys" out there just taking customers dosh and providing a piss poor service, TIT where its all about the money.

She's been hunting around her friends all married to farangs to get recco's and the one we've decided on looks like the real deal even if its going to cost me 89K :default_crybaby:

Have wifey ask around her friends and co-workers. Ones that have had their kids go through braces (not the cosmetic, but the real deal). The good ones name should come out. 

I would guess a practice (more than one) and usually they will also have an association with a oral surgeon. Insurance companies would also probably have good legit resources of reputable practices.

I have never had any serious dental work done over here. But the basic cleaning and check-ups  I've probably used four different ones. They were all top notch. But those were dentists.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've known a few TG's who had them in Thailand, they were able to pay for them on a kinda finance/PAYG basis, i guess the dentist would have just stopped treating them/adjusting the braces etc if they'd stopped paying. I think total cost between 50-70k THB but this was a few years ago now. They all turned out good but none of them had bad or noticeably wonky teeth to begin with lol. They went from having nice smiles to great smiles I guess you could sum it up as.

A friend in the UK had them in his 30's and also had to have corrective jaw surgery...that was a huge ordeal for him and he said not really worth it overall and he would not do it again if he had the choice again and would not recommend it to others.

Girl in the UK i know had them and a few other things and made huge difference. I'll PM some pics if i can find them.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Shaksey said:

they were able to pay for them on a kinda finance/PAYG basis, i guess the dentist would have just stopped treating them/adjusting the braces etc if they'd stopped paying. I think total cost between 50-70k THB but this was a few years ago now.

TFYP, yes indeed as i indicated the total cost is 89K but its spread over the treatment period. In wifey's case her payment plan is 11K on her first appointment which is due this morning and then 5K per month for 6 months followed by 3K per month for 16 months totalling 89K. 

She reckons she's done due diligence on the orthodontists clinic and they are the real deal so off she goes this morning. I'll update the thread as things unfold.    

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

TFYP, yes indeed as i indicated the total cost is 89K but its spread over the treatment period. In wifey's case her payment plan is 11K on her first appointment which is due this morning and then 5K per month for 6 months followed by 3K per month for 16 months totalling 89K. 

She reckons she's done due diligence on the orthodontists clinic and they are the real deal so off she goes this morning. I'll update the thread as things unfold.    

That doesn't sound too bad to me, they usually adjust the braces on each visit depending upon growth. It can be very uncomfortable/painfull for her.

Oh and don't worry about the BJ, it makes no difference to you at all. Now a tongue stud is a different kettle of fish methinks! :default_fun:

Edited by boydeste
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, boydeste said:

That doesn't sound too bad to me, they usually adjust the braces on each visit depending upon growth. It can be very uncomfortable/painfull for her.

Oh and don't worry about the BJ, it makes no difference to you at all. Now a tongue stud is a different kettle of fish methinks! :default_fun:

😱

14junbfsperronespikedtonguethrust.png

• Surprised 2