Fuel Tanker Accident

Sea-Hawks

Far from being the worst one.

I remember one when I lived I  BKK

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990_Bangkok_gas_explosion

"The gas explosion on New Phetchaburi Road in Bangkok was a major disaster in Thailand. It took place on 24 September 1990, when a liquid petroleum gas tanker truck crashed on the expressway exit at New Phetchaburi Road, causing large explosions and fires that burned through 38 shophouses for over 24 hours. 90 people died, 121 were injured and 43 cars were destroyed, making it one of the deadliest man-made disasters in Thailand.[1]"

Next bad one was a truck loaded with explosives (and detonators on the same truck) . As usual people went to look in the crashed truck to see what they could take, and it blew up in their face ....

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1991-02-16-mn-1090-story.html?_amp=true

But WTF I know about Thailand ? 

Edited by Thai Spice
  • Great Info 1

2 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

Next bad one was a truck loaded with explosives (and detonators on the same truck) . As usual people went to look in the crashed truck to see what they could take, and it blew up in their face ....

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1991-02-16-mn-1090-story.html?_amp=true

I remember that one. I can remember talking to one of the owners of the Expat Hotel in Phuket about it. He said that the explosion was caused by the male bystanders gathering around and then lighting up their cigaretts as they usually do and then boom. A good story although I did wonder who survived to tell the tale. 

11 hours ago, andycoll said:

I remember that one. I can remember talking to one of the owners of the Expat Hotel in Phuket about it. He said that the explosion was caused by the male bystanders gathering around and then lighting up their cigaretts as they usually do and then boom. A good story although I did wonder who survived to tell the tale. 

I doubt that explanation, modern explosives take a bit more than lighting up cigarettes in their proximity to go boom, something like a contact explosion as provided by properly inserted detonators (not some packaged detonators  on the same transport). Besides that, detonators in transport are packed against that eventuality and most can't be set off by fire anyway.

1 hour ago, Freee!! said:

I doubt that explanation, modern explosives take a bit more than lighting up cigarettes in their proximity to go boom, something like a contact explosion as provided by properly inserted detonators (not some packaged detonators  on the same transport). Besides that, detonators in transport are packed against that eventuality and most can't be set off by fire anyway.

One of the explanations (you'll never know the real truth ..) was somebody picked up a detonator, deemed it useless, and threw it back on the pile ...

Now, dont ask how they know that as I guess nobody close to that would have survived.

Concerning explosives transportation rules, well, imagine LOS standards 30 y ago .....

4 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

One of the explanations (you'll never know the real truth ..) was somebody picked up a detonator, deemed it useless, and threw it back on the pile ...

That is a bit less unlikely, detonators aren't supposed to go boom at just being thrown.

5 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Now, dont ask how they know that as I guess nobody close to that would have survived.

They asked the ghosts 😉

5 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Concerning explosives transportation rules, well, imagine LOS standards 30 y ago .....

Thanks, I already shudder when I think about current standards (and that I already was in Thailand 25 years ago).