Calling it quits

Mr. Smooth

I have considered retirement once ... I am way under the 62 or 65 mark ... I just really love what I do ... banging code give me challenges everyday ... not sure what I would do ... probably get in trouble .. I am a little afraid of myself with so much free time ... guess I will finally have to come to grips with that someday ....

Great read !

All the best to you !

• Like 1

On 11/8/2020 at 7:24 PM, maipenrai said:

Congratulations and good luck to you - I retired similarly ten years ago and never regretted it; it's just a pity that you'll have to wait a while to travel to your favourite places like the rest of us but I hope to have a drink or several with you in Pattaya again when we are able to. 

Jeez Bro .... I am thinking it is gonna be a couple of years before any sort of resemblance of travel re-appears .... 

I just saw a couple of days ago on you tube or the news .. that it took a guy from Sweden who has a Thai wife about 5 - 6 months to travel back here .. he lived to close Hua Hin .. and once he got back here was quarantined with his wife for 2 weeks in separate rooms ... he also said that the costs he had to pay for quarantine was 100,000k baht

He looked like an honest guy .. no reason not to believe him ...

I am pretty sure it was a you tube video '' Joe " something or another .. a guy who has lived here 3 - 4 years ( I think ) .. the topic looked interesting .. the only reason I watched ... I am not in to you tube farangs blasting from Thailand ... telling me about places to go, what to eat, where to party .. etc. ... 

2 hours ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

I have considered retirement once ... I am way under the 62 or 65 mark ... I just really love what I do ... banging code give me challenges everyday ... not sure what I would do ... probably get in trouble .. I am a little afraid of myself with so much free time ... guess I will finally have to come to grips with that someday ....

Great read !

All the best to you !

I'm with you on that. Helps that our chosen profession allows us to work from anywhere.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

Jeez Bro .... I am thinking it is gonna be a couple of years before any sort of resemblance of travel re-appears .... 

I just saw a couple of days ago on you tube or the news .. that it took a guy from Sweden who has a Thai wife about 5 - 6 months to travel back here .. he lived to close Hua Hin .. and once he got back here was quarantined with his wife for 2 weeks in separate rooms ... he also said that the costs he had to pay for quarantine was 100,000k baht

He looked like an honest guy .. no reason not to believe him ...

I am pretty sure it was a you tube video '' Joe " something or another .. a guy who has lived here 3 - 4 years ( I think ) .. the topic looked interesting .. the only reason I watched ... I am not in to you tube farangs blasting from Thailand ... telling me about places to go, what to eat, where to party .. etc. ... 

It is easier to get to Thailand now as most who wanted to repatriate have done so. I could have traveled with my wife on the 01 November had I chosen but I have a daughter who needs to attend school. Had we been living in Thailand we would have traveled together and we would have shared a room in ASQ, the paid quarantine.

I am wondering if the Swedish guy was paying and his wife was having her quarantine paid by the Thai government, reason I say is that I believe Esco and his family shared a room together so see no reason why the Swedish pair were in separate rooms. Have to say though 100000 baht sounds like they were both paying ASQ so not sure why they were in different rooms unless through choice.

1 hour ago, Horizondave said:

It is easier to get to Thailand now as most who wanted to repatriate have done so. I could have traveled with my wife on the 01 November had I chosen but I have a daughter who needs to attend school. Had we been living in Thailand we would have traveled together and we would have shared a room in ASQ, the paid quarantine.

I am wondering if the Swedish guy was paying and his wife was having her quarantine paid by the Thai government, reason I say is that I believe Esco and his family shared a room together so see no reason why the Swedish pair were in separate rooms. Have to say though 100000 baht sounds like they were both paying ASQ so not sure why they were in different rooms unless through choice.

I really don't know the details....  of why he and his wife had separate rooms in quarantine ... I just struck me in a weird way when he said it ... plus, the 100,00K for 2 weeks ... 

Just thinking you can get a super nice hotel room for 2 weeks on less baht directly on the sea .. with probably all of your food as well ....

Bro .. I am not sure if I am sharing accurate information .. I can only tell you what I heard ...

I found the video after thinking about it ...  a little over 9 minutes into to the video ...

Edited by code_slayer_bkk

4 hours ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

Great read !

All the best to you !

Thanks, appreciate it.

Ah...thats the key, if you LOVE what you do, then continue as long as you're happy with doing it. My first 10-12 years, during the 90's and early 2000's, it was great doing what I did. I worked a 1:30-10 pm shift, had a great crew of guys to work with, our management were mostly men, many retired military, some with combat experience from Vietnam. Men who didn't sweat the small stuff, who KNEW how to properly supervise, who needed a kick in the ass and who could be left alone and trusted to get their job done the right way.

Did a lot of overtime back then, bought a Harley, traveled across America a few times, life was grand.

But as time went, guys retired, or died unfortunately, and the culture changed. More women became supervisors and as we all know, women tend to think emotionally rather than logically, and me being me, I got into it with a few of them over how to best go about doing a certain task. Basically them being rank amateurs telling me how and what to do rather than me with all the experience being allowed to get things done how I knew they should be done according to the level of importance. Then a guy took over as our facility manager and promoted his own loyal "yes" men and women in mgmt, people who never had the sack to tell him he was wrong in any decision, or in his implementing a mail flow plan that wasn't as efficient as it could be, or in wasting millions of dollars on upgrades or riderless robots that move pallets of mail at a snails pace.

The job became a chore and pretty soon, I couldn't wait to GTFO. Just today a female employee told me she heard I was retiring. I said yes, it's true. She said, "but you can't leave, you're not old enough". I said I'm soon to be 56 and she thought I was mid 40's. I said thats what happens with a guy when he's single and doesn't have a wife that nags him and only drinks top shelf premium beer, not that cheap ass American Bud, Miller or Coors rot gut.

Hope to meet up with you one day Code. Have enjoyed reading your posts for several years and you seem like real interesting guy.

Maybe a few cold ones at one of your favorite haunts in Bangkok. I'd be looking forward to it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mr. Smooth said:

But as time went, guys retired, or died unfortunately, and the culture changed. More women became supervisors and as we all know, women tend to think emotionally rather than logically, and me being me, I got into it with a few of them over how to best go about doing a certain task. Basically them being rank amateurs telling me how and what to do rather than me with all the experience being allowed to get things done how I knew they should be done according to the level of importance. Then a guy took over as our facility manager and promoted his own loyal "yes" men and women in mgmt, people who never had the sack to tell him he was wrong in any decision, or in his implementing a mail flow plan that wasn't as efficient as it could be, or in wasting millions of dollars on upgrades or riderless robots that move pallets of mail at a snails pace.

That is the time to get out and search for something else (or retire) and when a completely flabbergasted management ask why:

"Those managers who think they know how to do my job better than I can now try themselves, good luck".

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

I really don't know the details....  of why he and his wife had separate rooms in quarantine ... I just struck me in a weird way when he said it ... plus, the 100,00K for 2 weeks ... 

Just thinking you can get a super nice hotel room for 2 weeks on less baht directly on the sea .. with probably all of your food as well ....

Bro .. I am not sure if I am sharing accurate information .. I can only tell you what I heard ...

I found the video after thinking about it ...  a little over 9 minutes into to the video ...

A little clearer.....they didn't travel Thai as they went via Dubai so, even though the wife is Thai, she would have to pay ASQ.  State quarantine is only free for Thais if they travel on Thai Airways.  Why they had separate rooms though is still a puzzle as Esco will tell you he had a family room in Bangkok.

Funny that he was prepared but his wife forgot a few important things along the way.  He is home and he looks happy, a lovely beach restaurant view, he can relax..

5 hours ago, Mr. Smooth said:

Thanks, appreciate it.

Ah...thats the key, if you LOVE what you do, then continue as long as you're happy with doing it. My first 10-12 years, during the 90's and early 2000's, it was great doing what I did. I worked a 1:30-10 pm shift, had a great crew of guys to work with, our management were mostly men, many retired military, some with combat experience from Vietnam. Men who didn't sweat the small stuff, who KNEW how to properly supervise, who needed a kick in the ass and who could be left alone and trusted to get their job done the right way.

Did a lot of overtime back then, bought a Harley, traveled across America a few times, life was grand.

The job became a chore and pretty soon, I couldn't wait to GTFO. Just today a female employee told me she heard I was retiring. I said yes, it's true. She said, "but you can't leave, you're not old enough". I said I'm soon to be 56 and she thought I was mid 40's. I said thats what happens with a guy when he's single and doesn't have a wife that nags him and only drinks top shelf premium beer, not that cheap ass American Bud, Miller or Coors rot gut.

Hope to meet up with you one day Code. Have enjoyed reading your posts for several years and you seem like real interesting guy.

Maybe a few cold ones at one of your favorite haunts in Bangkok. I'd be looking forward to it.

Thanks for the kind words Bro ...

Favorite "haunts' In BKK .. well, this I promise you .. we don't go to Nana, Soi Cowboy or Patong .. boring .. I have more than a couple handful of rocking places with beautiful gals .. a "few" always turn into a couple day session with me ..  I will make certain you get anything and everything you need while you are here .. that's the least I can do ...

I agree with you .. Men ...  don't sweat the small things... but, the small things are important also  .. you never know who is around you that will open their mouth when pushed up against the wall .. at least the world I come from ...

That is a big reason why I live the way I do ...

Yea, I was single my whole life .. until I met Beach Gal and it took me about 12 years to marry her ... lol ... I finally found a good gal with a good heart ... .. she never says a word to me that is bad ... never looses her cool ... that is important to me ... an innocent .. beautiful gal .. but, this I know, you can push her up against a wall and she will keep her mouth shut

My doors are always open for you .. maybe if you are up to it I take you back home with me to the South .. it is fucking beautiful there .. also, you can stay at my flat in BKK , if you want ... it is a cheap flight from BKK to Hat Yai .. from there .. I will have Beach gal come and pick us up  ( lol . she still does not have a drivers license .. fucking funny .. she asks me why do I need .. my type of gal ) or her Dad ... then about an 1 1/2 hours from there to the Adaman sea close to Pak Bara where I live .. it is nice .. for sure ...

Stay strong and keep the faith Bro ...

Edited by code_slayer_bkk
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the invite, Code. Once I'm able to return, I'm figuring on a month, so I would welcome a chance to check out some new territory for a few days. If in BKK, it's awful nice of you to offer your condo to use, but I have no problem in getting a hotel.

But picking your brain for a few "out of the way" spots you enjoy going to would be worthwhile I'm sure. One thing my travels  have taught me is that there are two types of people you want to listen to for vital info. Those are taxi drivers and bartenders. Those guys know EVERYTHING important you want to find out about.

I guess I can add certain expats to that list as well. Thanks.

• 1 year later...

Way to go Eric the 2nd, happy for ya brother. I’ll see you in either Vegas or Thailand, we’ll overlap somehow I’m sure. Cousin & I are still dreaming about that triple football weekend, MNF preceded by NCAA Saturday & NFL Sunday. Will take some co-ordination, but he’s a Dallas fan, so if we’re there, I’ll make it out to LV or AZ for sure

Take it easy, like I’ve said & witnessed on here(esp. Steelers shocking passing) we’re not here for an eternity. You probably could have worked like a dog until 70 & accumulated $5M+, but WTF for? Met some guys like that in Tucson, you knew they were loaded but suddenly when it came time to buy a $3 beer their wallet was magically in their golf bag……f—k I like to find a good sale, especially on quality meats, but I could never be THAT tight….It’s a balancing act, but I’d always error towards a longer “retirement”, with less $ BUT ALSO less stress. Health and being calm is #1, as bad as I’ve screwed up I’m still guaranteed to end up with a minimum of 40,000 baht/month at 60-65. Any decent income/investing the next dozen years, and I’ll have double/triple that….so we need more?

You did well my friend, proudly served your country and even with 2-3 extra inches around your belly, bedded more ladies than 99% of handsome, wealthier men. So who’s the real “player” ? 

I say it’s the postman, not the doctor or investment banker

Congrats again and don’t be a stranger…..

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well played - I envy you the ease with which you accomplished all of this; I've thought of simplifying my living arrangements as well but I'm hampered considerably with living in a cold climate - you can't just walk away from free-standing dwellings here for long periods without arranging for someone to live in them while you're gone which can be a pain in the butt, and condo's are prohibitively expensive; dunno what I'm going to end up doing but I'll be looking at possibilities for the next two or three years...

• Like 2

Well done on the sale of the house. I hear you on all the points you made about selling to the home buying outfit as they were the same points that factored into my decision to sell below market to the tenant who had been renting my home. It's also nice to see the home's equity converted into a bump in the bank account balance.

Good luck to you in your new location and hope to catch up with you when you make it to Pattaya.

• Like 1

excellent post and plan, as Ican envisage you driving off into the sunset leaving the old home behind.  

trailer parks used to be a joke but nowadays the qualitry is amazing.  as are the fittings and fixtures.  would well suit me, now 65.

live love and enjoy

Tommy

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Mrmango said:

Welcome to my neighborhood!

When both of us on in town, lets get together for a beer!

(But not at the infamous "Gentleman's Clubs" that cost thousands of US$ a night...  

I'll be looking forward to that!

And thanks to everyone with their supportive and kind words. The biggest thing now is just to maintain good health to live and enjoy life to a standard that pleases you. And to keep the vices to a minimal amount. This place has a pool (though closed for the winter, re-opens April 1st) gym with  one of those older weight machines that reminds me of what I had back in high school, cardio that include exercise bikes and a road that runs around the perimeter of the park that is roughly a mile in length, so a serious goal is to work the body,  plenty of 2-3 mile brisk walks, get the kinks out and re-awaken those muscle groups that have been dormant for far too long.

That should keep me busy enough as well as once getting a lay of the land, might be looking into volunteering some time at the local Veterans Hospital 2-3 days a week if there is a need. And of course, look toward returning to a few of my favorite spots around the globe without too much regard for time.

Have a bunch of classic road trip songs I'll be jamming to for the trip down..."Radar Love", "Running Down a Dream", "Take it East", "Against the Wind", "Highway to Hell", "Running on Empty", "I Can't Drive 55", and many more.

See ya soon.

Edited by Mr. Smooth
  • Like 1