A sad story - Ian 'Barney' Mitchell-Barnes

Horizondave

I am posting this story here as some may actually know this guy.  The story is not new as the accident happened a couple of weeks ago but I only heard of it today and I also noticed Tommy has added it to his Pattaya FM video today. I know also that this story has been running on ThaiVisa.

Those who used to visit and drink at the Rockhouse may know Barney, he would always pop around for breakfast and I last met him there over a good meal a couple of years back.   He was one of those regulars who would pop by when in town; he, like me, is also ex British Airways staff hence his ability to travel quite regularly. 

Just a sad story and I hope he pulls through but his future, due to his injuries, is not going to be a rosy one.

https://bangkokherald.com/thailand/uninsured-broke-briton-stuck-in-thai-hospital-after-failed-suicide-jump/

Edited by Horizondave

hope not to have offended anyone with that news article .  what got me first was no medical insrance..  family said he didnt need it as he was diabetic but had it under control.  the 6 floor "fall"  obviously did him huge damage,    FWIW we are seeing more suicides, thai and non thai, of late.  many many more than usual

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

I know him well. I heard about this tragic event just after it happened. I didn't want to post anything here about it at the time but of course now it is in the media and their are several appeal funds in place now. 

The worst thing about this, is that had it not been for the virus restrictions, myself and several others would have flown out when it was clear that he was having difficulties, to help him and to try and to get him home asap. 

Barney is/was a larger than life character and always good fun to be with. But things started to go wrong for him and he made some poor life choices along the way. 

There is a lot more to this story, but I am not sure that I should be discussing it in the open, especially during a time when his sister and others are raising money to pay his hospital bills. They have his passport and would not release him until bills are paid and he still urgently needs further surgery and treatment. 

The worst thing in all of this, is that he is not really aware of the severity of his injuries and under sedation most of the time.  A friend of ours who lives in Pattaya is visiting and that is our only real source of news at the moment, which is sporadic. 

At one stage, it was thought that he would lose both legs, but they manged to save them, but had to amputate one below the ankle and he could still lose the other foot

Miraculously, no internal organs were damaged. 

It could be weeks before he is in any condition to be flown home, and it is not clear how that is going to happen

I have noticed some negative comments on FB and elsewhere in response to the news and I understand why some may have commented. But,  mental illness or indeed a psychotic episode can lead to many terrible things and we are all vulnerable. 

Sorry for the long post, but I thought it was necessary. 

It's going to be a long hard road to recovery for Barney and his life will never be the same. 

Yes I have seen many negative comments that again fail to understand any reality around mental health issues, even comments about him travelling in business class so he must have money.

Fact is he worked for BA and the cost of a ticket (probably upgraded anyway) is less than anybody would be paying for an economy seat, way lower and possibly free so I was annoyed that some (the usual moaners) concentrate on what they think is fact but are so far from the truth.

As you say best not to talk too much about anything but his hopeful recovery.

I wish Barney well as I always found him a very entertaining and friendly guy. 

5 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Yes I have seen many negative comments that again fail to understand any reality around mental health issues, even comments about him travelling in business class so he must have money.

Does deciding to commit suicide always indicate that there is a mental health issue? If someone has made a rational decision that that is the best option, do they have a mental health issue?

4 minutes ago, Bazle said:

Does deciding to commit suicide always indicate that there is a mental health issue? If someone has made a rational decision that that is the best option, do they have a mental health issue?

To be honest mate I don't think anybody really knows what made Barney do what he considered appropriate for his state of mind but I don't think it could be counted as normal and a deeper understanding is for those qualified in dealing with these situations.

I would hope though that we all concentrate on info about his progress, comments from those that know him and less on an in depth look into his state of mind or reasons for what he has done.

The guy has put himself in a very troubling situation, I just hope there is a some positive progress for him from now on. I am sad at this story.

7 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

To be honest mate I don't think anybody really knows what made Barney do what he considered appropriate for his state of mind but I don't think it could be counted as normal and a deeper understanding is for those qualified in dealing with these situations.

I would hope though that we all concentrate on info about his progress, comments from those that know him and less on an in depth look into his state of mind or reasons for what he has done.

The guy has put himself in a very troubling situation, I just hope there is a some positive progress for him from now on. I am sad at this story.

There were a number of factors which led to him having some sort of breakdown, for which I won't go into detail. 

But a series of events led to this tragic incident. 

I can imagine his situation but I wasn't there, I wasn't there to help him. I wished I had been, but I have no idea whether myself or his other UK friends could have changed anything. I would like to think it would, but it's all too late now. 

Whatever people may think, and I understand why they might not all be sympathetic, I wouldn't wish what has happened to him on my worst enemy. 

For those who know him, he is/was a happy go lucky guy. Maybe naive in some respects, but to go so quickly from one extreme to another is very sad and makes me wonder how well I really knew him. 

The lockdown in Thailand certainly played a major part in this tragedy. Before it became too late, he could of got a BA concessionary flight home and he was talking about returning to the UK.  It would have been the best thing to do at the time. 

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

There were a number of factors which led to him having some sort of breakdown, for which I won't go into detail. 

But a series of events led to this tragic incident. 

I can imagine his situation but I wasn't there, I wasn't there to help him. I wished I had been, but I have no idea whether myself or his other UK friends could have changed anything. I would like to think it would, but it's all too late now. 

Whatever people may think, and I understand why they might not all be sympathetic, I wouldn't wish what has happened to him on my worst enemy. 

For those who know him, he is/was a happy go lucky guy. Maybe naive in some respects, but to go so quickly from one extreme to another is very sad and makes me wonder how well I really knew him. 

The lockdown in Thailand certainly played a major part in this tragedy. Before it became too late, he could of got a BA concessionary flight home and he was talking about returning to the UK.  It would have been the best thing to do at the time. 

Sad he never took that flight; I sat at the BA check in desk once after not getting on a Thai Airways flight to London, it took me 5 minutes to arrange my concession and be checked in to London.  Maybe the will wasn't there, a decision he may live to regret.

I was only thinking today about whether Kamagra gels are still available and how much, just reminded me of my last conversation with Barney when he was shocked at how much I had paid for a box of gels, only 200 baht difference but he never stopped telling me I had been scammed.

He is a character for sure.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr Mosquito said:

Depression is the usual cause of suicides but it doesn't mean there is an underlying mental health issue.

My best mate committed suicide and he was prefectly rational before the event. I had no idea that there was any sort of problem.  I found out later that he was traumatized about an incident that lead to someone elses death and he couldn't get over it.

When I used the term 'mental health issue' my consideration was that his mental state was not in a good place at the time leading to his action that most of us would not consider normal.

Depression for most is considered a mental illness which can and does affect many of us, around 1 in 10 over time.  It would probably take an expert in the subject to recognise any factors that could lead to actions such that Barney took.  I am sure many people are rational before a tragic event takes place and most of us will not see the signs although we may think with hindsight we should have recognised them.

Some of us share our thoughts, some hide behind false smiles, I am sure it is difficult to understand why some actions take place.

Thing is, Barney did what he did, whatever the reason and however he got there, I really hope he comes out of this in as positive a way as is possible under the circumstances.

If he thought life wasn't worth living for before wait until he wakes up and realizes the situation he is in. 

I understand doctors always want to help a person but to cut off his foot (potentially feet) to keep him alive after a failed suicide attempt? Not sure if the more humane thing would have been to.. you know. 

Best of luck fella. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, tommy dee said:

hope not to have offended anyone with that news article .  what got me first was no medical insrance..  family said he didnt need it as he was diabetic but had it under control.  the 6 floor "fall"  obviously did him huge damage,    FWIW we are seeing more suicides, thai and non thai, of late.  many many more than usual

+22% suicides in Thailand YOY, highest in Asia. That is more than alarming but what is even more worrisome is the global number will probably grow to higher than that in 2021 as the world has not even begun to feel the bottom of the fall out from Covid. Not even close. 

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't know the guy. But I wish him the best and thoughts go to those who are friends and/or associates of him, and of course to his family. 

A couple things to mention here and I apologize in advance if it comes off differently than what my intentions are.... Which is to make share some thoughts and observations relating to several different things related that have been mentioned in this story.

---- The insurance policies offered here which are pretty much dictated by Thai law are woefully limited. Due to pre-existing condition exceptions. Also.... I am not sure what exclusions there are for attempted suicide and injuries sustained following. 

I guess my point is that even if someone paid for the highest coverage available. If the policy has exclusions for diabeties and/or suicide.... whether the person had/has insurance you may not be covered. 

----- There is a certain level of care that has to be provided to anyone hospitalized. Up to a point. The hospitals, health care system has to provide, whether they have insurance or not. But what level the quality of care may be might be limited. Also, they can't release you until another care institution can assume care or you can care for yourself. I am not sure on the law as far as out of the country asset recovery for the costs associated. But I would reckon that it wouldn't be easy for these institutions who are providing care would be able to recover much (if anything). They are stuck IMO, and the home country isn't going to me in any hurry to arrange for him to return.... unless he already had very good insurance coverage back home or with his employer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--- Suicide and domestic violence is for sure beginning to rear it's head. There has been a long lag time following the start of Corona. Now it is catching up and we are really seeing a spike in the hardships and economic challenges the World confronts. Most of this has been predictable. I am actually surprised it has taken so long to see the upward trend. But, it is here now, and will continue to get worse in the upcoming months.

i sure hope those who are in difficult circumstances reach out and be willing to seek assistance, because sometimes all it takes is a few week/months before the tide turns. 

The lag and effects from this historic pandemic are really catching up. Try to develop coping mechanisms to get through the next few months as hopefully things will begin to head in a better direction.

• Like 4
  • Great Info 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have just heard that he is being moved to a hospital. Nearer to Pattaya which includes food and physiotherapy. 

His mental health is still an issue. 

The doctors reckon it will be about 6 weeks before he is in any condition to fly. Then there are the logistics of that happening to consider. About 80% of the funds needed have been acquired now, but still more needed. 

We are going to arrange to get him up to Birmingham when we know he is coming home. 

It's going to be a long hard road of recovery both mentally and physically from then on. 

They managed to save his other foot although they have had to cut muscle and tissue away in both legs to stop infection. It could have been a lot worse and he is lucky to have survived a fall from the sixth floor, or unlucky whichever way you look at it. 

He's a good lad, who fell off the rails and it's, such a shame that he became isolated at a time when he really needed help and support. Just another example of how Covid has been so far reaching in its effect on society

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Nightcrawler said:

I have just heard that he is being moved to a hospital. Nearer to Pattaya which includes food and physiotherapy. 

The doctors reckon it will be about 6 weeks before he is in any condition to fly. Then there are the logistics of that happening to consider. About 80% of the funds needed have been acquired now, but still more needed. 

We are going to arrange to get him up to Birmingham when we know he is coming home. 

It's going to be a long hard road of recovery both mentally and physically from then on. 

They managed to save his other foot although they have had to cut muscle and tissue away in both legs to stop infection. It could have been a lot worse and he is lucky to have survived a fall fro. The sixth floor, or unlucky whichever way you look at it. 

He's a good lad, who fell off the rails and it's, such a shame that he became isolated at a time when he really needed help and support. Just another example of how Covid has been so far reaching in its effect on society

Thank you for the update 

On 12/7/2020 at 7:10 PM, Nightcrawler said:

They managed to save his other foot although they have had to cut muscle and tissue away in both legs to stop infection. It could have been a lot worse and he is lucky to have survived a fall from the sixth floor, or unlucky whichever way you look at it. 

Do i know him?

On 12/8/2020 at 2:10 AM, Nightcrawler said:

Thanks for the update.

I imagine his mental health will remain an issue since he tried to commit suicide, failed and is now pretty much handicapped. 

Best of luck to your mate. 

• 2 months later...

I spoke to Barney a few days, ago and he seems to be in good spirits, although he is still bed ridden and 8n a lot of pain for physiotherapy. I think it will still be a while until he will be able to return to UK. Its going to be a long way to go, but he is hopeful of returning to UK by June. 

• Like 2
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Just a short update 

I have just had a long conversation With Barney's sister on the phone

He really needs to get back to the UK but there are still many obsticles to overcome. Primarily the cost of getting him home which could amount to 10k (sterling) because ge will need to be a companied by a. Medical professional and will need to be transported on a stretcher. We are looking at local Media coverage and possibly corporate donations to make this possible. 

He has lost one of his feet and it is possible that he my lose the other to avoid Sepsis. All the time that he is receiving care in Thailand, the bills are racking up. 

We have reopened his "Go funding site" but I dont think that we will be able to raise the necessary funds in the time frame that he has. 

In these difficult times, there are all sorts of barriers in the way, both in Thailand and UK due to Covid. 

• 4 weeks later...