A sad story - Ian 'Barney' Mitchell-Barnes

Horizondave

5 minutes ago, Bazle said:

Evidently he has not managed to get back to Blighty as he's hit the news today, with mention of ongoing attempts to raise the necessary funds -

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/briton-stranded-in-thai-hospital-after-balcony-fall-appealing-to-return-home

Slight fault in that report about the amputation. He has lost one foot but I suppose you could argue that is below the knee. I thought he was now booked on a Turkish Airways flight for next week. I will contact him later for an update. 

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Slight fault in that report about the amputation. He has lost one foot but I suppose you could argue that is below the knee. I thought he was now booked on a Turkish Airways flight for next week. I will contact him later for an update. 

Update

According to Barney he is now booked on a flight on Turkish via Istanbul leaving at 11pm this Monday. 

What is not clear, is what happens when he arrives at LHR

He will arrive on a stretcher, and probably be taken by ambulance to the nearest hospital, maybe Hillingdon. The NHS will then have to decide the next step and whether or no to transport him to Birmingham. 

I offered to put him on my roof rack and take him there 😊

Hope it all goes to plan anyway. 

• Thumbs Up 2

its when i see posts like this, and also the Dutch cancer guy who is trying to get home, that it makes me think to always have exit plan and exit cash available incase the shit hits the fan 😞

• Thumbs Up 3

23 minutes ago, Chappo said:

its when i see posts like this, and also the Dutch cancer guy who is trying to get home, that it makes me think to always have exit plan and exit cash available incase the shit hits the fan 😞

Yes, you are absolutely RIGHT. Always have a plan for the worst scenario. Under more normal circumstances though, it should never have happened.  Either myself or a couple of his other friends would have been around and made sure we got him on flight back before doing anything stupid and recognising his state of mind. 

But Covid had a large part to play in the saga. Like so many other things that it has affected. 

We all knew he was running low on funds even last year, when he only went out for drinks maybe once or twice a week. 

He had no insurance, but then again, in all honesty, I wonder whether he would have been covered for jumping from the 6th floor of a building? 

I fear the hardest part is yet to come. Months of physio and prosthetic procedures, coming to terms with his disability and how it will affect him psychologically. 

Once he is back in his home town at least he will have his family to care for him, especially Jane, his sister who has done so much to raise funds. Its going to be tough on her as she is working full time. 

• Like 2

Yes- covid has been and is being really bad for finances, health and mental health!

Lets hope he gets home safe and gets the help and support he needs without putting too much of a burden on his sister.

On 4/24/2021 at 4:19 AM, Chappo said:

Yes- covid has been and is being really bad for finances, health and mental health!

Lets hope he gets home safe and gets the help and support he needs without putting too much of a burden on his sister.

Update

If all goes well Barney should be arriving at LHR tomorrow morning and collected by a British Red Cross Patient Transport vehicle on a stretcher and taken to the QE Hospital in Birmingham. So, he should be shortly on his way to BKk Int airport (Thai time) jf all goes to plan.

He will be accompanied by a designated carer throughout the journey

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

56 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Update

If all goes well Barney should be arriving at LHR tomorrow morning and collected by a British Red Cross Patient Transport vehicle on a stretcher and taken to the QE Hospital in Birmingham. So, he should be shortly on his way to BKk Int airport (Thai time) jf all goes to plan.

He will be accompanied by a designated carer throughout the journey

Glad that is the situation after this long sad tale.  I hope he is cared for to allow him to deal with his demons and recover to live as best a life as possible.  Good that he also going to Birmingham from LHR.

Edited by Horizondave
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

I had a long chat on the phone with Barney, several days ago. He seemed in good spirits and very chatty. 

He is, still in hospital and recently had his other foot amputated. He will need surgery on his hip/pelvis next before his legs will work properly and there is, still a chance that he may not walk again or at least for a very long time

So he remains bed ridden, and obviously all dignity is out of the window in terms of lavatory issues and bathing. 

It will be a long hard slog for him to become anywhere independent and will take months if not years to resume any real quality of life 

Considering the circumstances of his injuries he now, seems to have accepted what happened although not quite why. 

I promised to send him a pair of slippers and some toenail clippers and shared the joke, as I know him well enough to say it 😁😁😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1